Adobe Reader re-install

Glenn

I had to remove Adobe Reader 6.0.1 from registry to get it out of add/remove program. For some reason I could not remove it from add/remove normally.Now I want to re-install Adobe Reader 6.0.1, but get a error message "Error 1714. The older version of Adobe Reader 6.0.1 cannot be removed." It's not in add/remove program or in the registry.What is causing this and how to correct and install Adobe again for PDF.GlennDoes anyone have any idea how to get rid of this problem? "Zlim" has given me suggustions but nothing has worked yet. The error message tells me it is on a different "network" also.Glenn

Edited by Glenn

If Acrobat Reader is not anywhere the registry, delete all its folders and files in Program Files and Document and Settings (inside Application Data folders). Then, reinstall Acrobat Reader.If, however, all you did was removed it from Add/Remove list, Acrobat Reader should still be all over the registry, and you should use a registry tool (I use the old Regcleaner) to remove the Acrobat registry keys. Then delete all its folders and file, and then install.

Edited by b2cm

If Acrobat Reader is not anywhere the registry, delete all its folders and files in Program Files and Document and Settings (inside Application Data folders). Then, reinstall Acrobat Reader.If, however, all you did was removed it from Add/Remove list, Acrobat Reader should still be all over the registry, and you should use a registry tool (I use the old Regcleaner) to remove the Acrobat registry keys. Then delete all its folders and file, and then install.

'b2cm', --Adobe Reader not in registry, all folders and files are deleted. Where to find Application Data folders?

Assuming this is Win2k/xp:C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>Application DataC:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application DataC:\Documents and Settings\~user name~\Application DataC:\Documents and Settings\~user name~\Local Settings\Application DataC:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application DataJust to make sure you've cleaned the registry of Acrobat keys, use 'regedit' and do a search (edit>find) for 'adobe', 'acrobat'.Yes, Foxit is fast and portable.

Edited by b2cm

Guest LilBambi

Yes, FoxIt is great! But if you use QuickBooks for anything, you will still need Adobe Acrobat Reader and they are real picky about even that.For all the money that Intuit charges for QuickBooks and their 'monopoly' policies on making people buy FULL versions for each computer, and weird/expensive multi-user licensing, you'd think they were better programmers when it comes to integrating system plugins that they make use of...especially regarding upgrades to those plugins.Soap box /off :P

I used to use FoxIt reader until I read some comments from other users saying there was a memory leak. Have they fixed that in the latest version?And to the OP, I would suggest using Adobe Reader v7.0.9 rather than v6.

I used to use FoxIt reader until I read some comments from other users saying there was a memory leak. Have they fixed that in the latest version?And to the OP, I would suggest using Adobe Reader v7.0.9 rather than v6.
I use Foxit Reader exclusively and I do not notice any memory leaks. I will never go back to AA. It is bloatware.

I use Foxit Reader exclusively and I do not notice any memory leaks. I will never go back to AA. It is bloatware.
Gary you may not have noticed it, but the problem is (or was) certainly there. It's been posted on various newsgroups and other forums. They probably fixed that issue in their latest released but I am not sure if they did or not. As far as Adobe reader being bloat - I agree 100%. However in this day & age - it's the norm. There's very few software applications out there that's lean & slim. I think w/ the size of hard drives increasing to no end, bloatware is here to stay.

Gary you may not have noticed it, but the problem is (or was) certainly there. It's been posted on various newsgroups and other forums. They probably fixed that issue in their latest released but I am not sure if they did or not. As far as Adobe reader being bloat - I agree 100%. However in this day & age - it's the norm. There's very few software applications out there that's lean & slim. I think w/ the size of hard drives increasing to no end, bloatware is here to stay.
On my own personal PC, I seldom use .PDF files. If Foxit leaks, it is of little consequence to me. Now on my work laptop I use AA , as I am not permitted to install freeware on it.

Foxit is portable, so you can copy Foxit to a USB drive and run it everywhere from there. No install.There are PDFs that only Acrobat Reader can display correctly.

Glenn, you may need to "show hidden files". To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps: 1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop. 2. Double-click on the My Computer icon. 3. Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options. 4. After the new window appears select the View tab. 5. Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders. 6. Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders. 7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types. 8. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files. 9. Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer. 10. Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.

Glenn, you may need to "show hidden files". To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps: 1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop. 2. Double-click on the My Computer icon. 3. Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options. 4. After the new window appears select the View tab. 5. Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders. 6. Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders. 7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types. 8. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files. 9. Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer. 10. Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.
Corrine, did so did not reveal anything to do with Adobe. Error message reads feature is on a network resourse that is unavaiable. Error 1714 older version of Adobe cannot be removed. How to go to orginal installation .msi file?

.msi files have to do with programs that use the windows installer to install.You may need to run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utilityhttp://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secu...p-Utility.shtml(I've used this successfully to remove bits and pieces of a beta version of CounterSpy; it is quite useful). Download and run the utility and you'll probably see Adobe in the list; highlight it and let the Cleanup Utility remove the bits and pieces that might still be in the registry. Then try to install 6.0.1 and see if you can.Also in version 6 Adobe started doing some strange things. You couldn't install 6.0.4 until you had installed 6.0.3 etc. You might need to install 6.0 before you can install 6.0.1. I'm not sure on that. If you need version 6.0 send me a PM because I have various versions of Adobe reader archived on flash drives. I can send you what you need if you can't find it online.

.msi files have to do with programs that use the windows installer to install.You may need to run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utilityhttp://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secu...p-Utility.shtml(I've used this successfully to remove bits and pieces of a beta version of CounterSpy; it is quite useful). Download and run the utility and you'll probably see Adobe in the list; highlight it and let the Cleanup Utility remove the bits and pieces that might still be in the registry. Then try to install 6.0.1 and see if you can.Also in version 6 Adobe started doing some strange things. You couldn't install 6.0.4 until you had installed 6.0.3 etc. You might need to install 6.0 before you can install 6.0.1. I'm not sure on that. If you need version 6.0 send me a PM because I have various versions of Adobe reader archived on flash drives. I can send you what you need if you can't find it online.
"Zlim", Can you send me previous versions of Adobe 6.0.1? Just mayb that will work, I have tried everything else. Glenn

"Zlim" Can you send me earlier versions of Adobe 6.0.1, maybe it just might work. I have tried everything else. Glenn

Foxit is portable, so you can copy Foxit to a USB drive and run it everywhere from there. No install.There are PDFs that only Acrobat Reader can display correctly.
Not all versions of Foxit are portable. I have yet to come across a .pdf file that Foxit can't read.

Glenn, I looked over my files and I have 5.0, 5.05, 5.1, 6, 6.02, 6.03, and 7 but I seem not to have 6.01! I started searching and here http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=acrobatyou can download 6.01! I guess I need to grab that one so my archives are complete.
"Zlim"Thanks for the web site on old versions of Adobe. Will try and see if something works, nothing else has.Glenn

The version I am using had an .EXE extension.
Your link is to an installer of the Foxit executable which is portable. Copy the program folder to USB drive and run it elsewhere, to find out. The zip file I linked to, on the other hand, contains the same Foxit executable.

• 1 month later...
Zlim, If I use windows installer cleanup utility will it affect anything else by using it? I don't want to lose windows installer exe or other systems and programs in windows.Glenn M.

You run it, it shows you all programs using the windows installer during the install. You highlight only the program that you want to cleanup and it is the only thing cleaned up.

You run it, it shows you all programs using the windows installer during the install. You highlight only the program that you want to cleanup and it is the only thing cleaned up.
Zlim, will try to see if adobe reader installer is hiding there.Glenn

Zlim, will try to see if adobe reader installer is hiding there.Glenn
Zlim, I ran windows installer cleanup, adobe not there either. I can't figure out what they mean it is on a different network when I try to re-install.Thanks for your help, I still don't know what is holding it up. Can't contact Adobe, or maybe they would have answer.Glenn

Go to the Adobe Reader forumhttp://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.ee6b2e6/State the exact error you get about other network. The error 1714 error should have been fixed by the windows installer cleanup, because all solutions for that error give the same advice to run the windows installer cleanup utility.Lastly, are you sure the exe file that you think is Adobe Reader is the full install? Adobe sometimes let you download a small file to prepare for the install. You have to be connected to the internet to do the full install from this file. Are you connected to the internet when you try to install it? If not - that might be your problem. You do not have the full installer.Check the size. According to this http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=acrobat6.01 should be 16.3 MB. If yours is not, grab a copy at the oldversion link.

Edited by zlim

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem too and the only way it was resolved was by adding the pro version of adobe to my system. I ran windows installer cleanup and found adobe did not exist. I also performed searches using the search function on my system and searched for adobe and found absolutely nothing pertaining to adobe in my system and the search included hidden files. I also preformed a search within the registry and removed all adobe found there and also turned off system restore and booted into safe mode too and after finding nothing pertaining to adobe in my system, I tried once more to install any adobe reader and the error 1714 continued to haunt me. I also tried to install earlier versions of adobe reader and they too gave me that dreaded 1714 error. I finally installed a copy of adobe pro from a cd and although it worked, I noticed that during the installation that some spool files were missing. I then uninstalled the pro version and tried to install the free version but once again the dreaded 1714 error showed up again. After fighting this error for several days, I came to the conclusion that the only way to fix this problem was to format my hard drive and reinstall windows. Upon doing so, my problems were gone.