Unable to uninstall Programs with add/remove

Glenn

I have been trying to uninstall Adobe Reader 6.0.1, with add/remove. Get message,"feature on a network resource that is unavaiable." also "Installation source is not avaiable, verify source exists and that you can access it." This has me really puzzled, tried to install new version, "old version cannot be removed".Can I remove through the registry, or try one of the uninstall downloads avaiable?

It sounds like you need to have the original installation files in the original location(s) that they were. Do you still have the installer file(s) somewhere?

I have been trying to uninstall Adobe Reader 6.0.1, with add/remove. Get message,"feature on a network resource that is unavaiable." also "Installation source is not avaiable, verify source exists and that you can access it." This has me really puzzled, tried to install new version, "old version cannot be removed".Can I remove through the registry, or try one of the uninstall downloads avaiable?

It sounds like you need to have the original installation files in the original location(s) that they were. Do you still have the installer file(s) somewhere?
epp_b, the orginal installation files are in C:\Program Files\Adobe. But it won't install new version without removing old version.

redmaledeer

I second Temmu's motion about using Foxit instead of Adobe Reader. In fact you could install and use Foxit right now. You could then deal with the unwieldy carcass of Adobe Reader at your leisure.

Glenn, scroll down and go through the steps in the manual removal process.If you need to locate some files, file up find and put in adobe.*that will indicate where you need to go to manually remove items in addition to the specific ones listed.

Glenn, scroll down and go through the steps in the manual removal process.If you need to locate some files, file up find and put in adobe.*that will indicate where you need to go to manually remove items in addition to the specific ones listed.
Zlim, can't, get message "feature on a network resource that is unavaiable. Can I go into registry and remove adobe?Zlim, in reply to your suggustion. Can't, get message "feature on a network resource that is unavaiable". Can I go into registry and remove Adobe?

Are you saying that when you go to the start and select Find and put in adobe.* you get the message "feature on a network resource that is unavailable"?You can certainly clean out adobe from the registry but I'd like to fix whatever seems to be broken with add/remove and Find features of your 98 install. If we don't fix that, you may hit the same stumbling block on some future add/remove program.I just double-checked. You are trying to install a version of adobe reader that does not work on 98SE.http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/read...mp;x=29&y=4the version for you is the version you have 6.01

Edited by zlim

Are you saying that when you go to the start and select Find and put in adobe.* you get the message "feature on a network resource that is unavailable"?You can certainly clean out adobe from the registry but I'd like to fix whatever seems to be broken with add/remove and Find features of your 98 install. If we don't fix that, you may hit the same stumbling block on some future add/remove program.I just double-checked. You are trying to install a version of adobe reader that does not work on 98SE.http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/read...mp;x=29&y=4the version for you is the version you have 6.01
zlim, tried the download, get error message: "Feature on a different network resource that is unavaiable". Also get "Alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'Adobe Reader 6.0.1.msi in box below'. Box contains: use feature from C:\windows\cache\Adobe Reader 6.0.1\Then get error message that old Adobe Reader 6.0.1 cannot be removed.Maybe have to go into registry and remove all Adobe entries, but don't like to if not necessary.

At this point I don't think you have much choice...
'Marsden11', I know do you have any idea on what to look for in the registry? What sections do I check, all programs with Adobe I guess?I really don't know what happened, the Adobe Reader is working OK. But when I tried to upgrade is when all the problems started.I guess I will delete all Adobe items from registry and see if it removes it from add/remove section then if it does, try to reinstall later version.I am glad I have the registry backed up, in case it does not work I can restore a earlier registry.thanks,Glenn

Glenn - a later version DOES NOT work on 98SE. You must stick with version 6.01 as I pointed out in this link http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/read...mp;x=29&y=4
'zlim' - not trying to install later version, just trying to remove present version and reinstall.Could a "Adobe Patch prevent me from removing it"? Also how to remove with registry if I have to, which is probably going to be.

As far as I recall, Adobe doesn't patch - they issue new versions. I run 98SE, ME and 2K and help people that run XP so I have Adobe 5, 5.05, 5.1, 6,6.02, 6.03 and 7 stored on a USB drive. I do remember that I couldn't just install 6.03, I had to install 6, followed by 6.01 then 6.02 before 6.03 was installed (since it isn't listed for 98SE, I suspect this was on a 2K computer).As far as cleaning the registry, I run regedit then press ctrl+F, which brings up a dialog box. Make sure that all items below the entry box are checked and in the box type adobe. Keep pressing F3 and it will find the next location. Read the entries closely because you may not want to remove all of them (I would be sure it applies to the Acrobat Reader and not touch anything that doesn't say this because you may remove some needed defaults).Have you tried just installing 6.01 without removing what is there? That may fix whatever appears to be broken - I'm not sure about that.Another option: install 6.01 but before you do, monitor the install using a program called Total Uninstall. The last free version link is mentioned in my post in this threadhttp://help.lockergnome.com/general/Regist...opict47274.htmlWhat you do is install Total Uninstall then run it. It takes a snapshot of your registry. Keep Total Uninstall open and install Adobe 6.01. Then run Total Uninstall again. It takes another snapshot of the registry and lists ALL the registry changes. Print out the list. Then use Total Uninstall to remove the copy of 6.01 you just installed. Go thru the registry and see if you still have entries at the spots Total Uninstall listed - that could be the old adobe install. Remove them and you may have cleaned out all traces of the reader.

Maybe it's worth mentioning that there's another alternative to Adobe Reader, namely Brava Reader, also free. I haven't tried it because it's a lot larger than Foxit, and Foxit does everything I want.

Nah, that's just the voices in your head. :) B) :hysterical: :devil:
Zlim, thanks for the registry cleaning method by using "regedit and F3" I cleaned out all of "Adobe" and it is gone, for good. Will consider installing "Foxit" instead.Glenn