Outlook 2003 email notification on systray

DeafBug

A few months ago, my company upgraded everyone to Office 2003. I have been trying to get it the way I want it to be. So far I got it all to the way I like in a matter of time. Recently, the last change was removing the Office Clipboard from its functionality.I hated that the Office Clipboard appears on the right side and on the system tray when you make a second copy. So I poked around and notice that there is a bunch of checkboxes. I unchecked all of them. Now it is back to standard copy and pasting method, the old fashion way. But I did noticed that I no longer get the email notifications on the system tray, that yellow closed envelope when you get new mail. I checked the Tools | Options, Advanced email options and it is all checked for when new mail arrives. It doesn't play a sound, It doesn't breifly change the mouse cursor. It doesn't display an email notification on the system tray. The only thing it does is the desktop alert. I kinda don't like that as if my co-workers are in my cube and we are looking at my monitor to discuss something. The desktop alert appears. No doubt in my mind, they read it. I just want the email notification on the system tray and nothing else. The brief cursor change would be nice. It is also handy if I return to my cube, I can look at the system tray to see if I have any emails. No, I have to bring the Outlook to the front and see if there is any new emails. I have searched the Internet and all solutions to the problem states that the check box should be checked. It is but it doesn't work! Any ideas? Even when I turned back the Office Clipboard on and no change. I recently updated all the latest patches using Microsoft Update, not Windows Update. It downloaded the Office SP2. No difference. And I am running XP.

This doesn't really answer your question because I don't know the answer because I don't use Outlook.An alternative is MailTime, "a tiny freeware POP3 mail checking utility. Checks up to 16 mail accounts simultaneously, supports SOCKS v4 and v5. New mail arrival is notified with flashing system tray icon or with notification window. The program has bilingual English/Russian user interface."It can also notify you with a sound and it works with any mail client.

• 2 months later...

With XP, check the properties on your system tray. Click on Customize. Click on the Envelope Icon (if it's in the list) and set it to Show Always. This fixed it for me.

• 2 weeks later...