Scot's Newsletter, Windows + Vista

James M. Fisher

henderrob

What kind of CPU will be needed to run Longhorn? Will todays CPU's run it or sill the whole computer need to be upgraded for Longhorn.?

James M. Fisher

I couldn't find any hard data on this in a quick search, but I would imagine at least a 1GHz CPU and 512MB of RAM. As for video, I have heard that a Radeon 9800 is required to get all the bells 'n whistles of the new interface.FWIW, I ran build 4074 on my AMD XP 2000+ (1.67mHz), 512RAM.

The more I read about Longhorn, the less I see to explain how Microsoft hopes to convince not only me, but the CTO of a major corporation to upgrade from XP or 2000. Where's the "killer app"? What is it going to offer that I can't do with XP and maybe a few third-party addons like Google Desktop Search? For example, I own a 1997 pickup truck. Nothing I've seen in newer vehicles has tempted me to buy a newer one. I have no hesitation to shell out $20 or so to purchase an upgrade to a program I use a lot and really appreciate. But once we're talking $100 or more, I become more stingy. I need a really huge improvement in functionality to convince me it's worth that kind of investment. What's MS going to introduce to convince me that Longhorn is worth the money?

James M. Fisher

Just found these:Windows “Longhornâ€-Ready PCshttps://partner.microsoft.com/global/40018577Microsoft pushes 512MB RAM, "modern CPU" for Longhorn:http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=22884Will Your PC Be Ready for Longhorn? http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,...,1790569,00.asp :lol:

James M. Fisher
The more I read about Longhorn, the less I see to explain how Microsoft hopes to convince not only me, but the CTO of a major corporation to upgrade from XP or 2000.  Where's the "killer app"?  What is it going to offer that I can't do with XP and maybe a few third-party addons like Google Desktop Search?  For example, I own a 1997 pickup truck.  Nothing I've seen in newer vehicles has tempted me to buy a newer one.  I have no hesitation to shell out $20 or so to purchase an upgrade to a program I use a lot and really appreciate.  But once we're talking $100 or more, I become more stingy.  I need a really huge improvement in functionality to convince me it's worth that kind of investment.  What's MS going to introduce to convince me that Longhorn is worth the money?

Jeber, if it was not for my MS connections, I'm sure I would still be running Win98SE! :P I think the day of the "Killer App" is long gone, IMHO. Most folks will get LH on new PCs, just as they get XP now. There are always those enthusiasts that will buy it because they want the latest thing. It's not something "Mr. & Mrs. Home PC" will be interested in at all I would think. :lol:

Guest LilBambi

And I guess this type of technology will be built in too? Huh?

Global securityThe Cell architecture isn't just a blueprint for a new kind of chip, but for a massively distributed global computing network. Each Cell is given a GUID, a global identifier. Your PlayStation may be hosting processes that began life on a Cell on another side of the world. Remember that the architecture enables a strict, lock-down machine to be built, with access to memory tightly controlled. Since DRM is predicated on controlling uniquely-identified media to run, or not run, on a specifically-authorized piece of hardware, this allows system designers much more scope in building systems which can both restrict and track the content they play.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/01/ce...lysis_part_one/https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/

henderrob

I think that WinXP was a definite upgrade from Win98SE but it was given to me for Christmas so I didn't pay for the upgrade. I got Windows with a computer I bought and I haven't paid MS anything directly... but indirectly??I still think that I will suggest someone buy me Longhorn when it comes out in box form for Christmas though. :D

You know, rereading Scot's newsletter, I can see one "killer app" that would tempt me to look at Longhorn (look at, not necessarily install)...boot time. If anyone can come up with an OS that loads in less time than all of mine do now I'd be willing to check it out. Linux is no faster than Windows in that regard. And sometimes I need to have access right now, not in 5 minutes when the OS is ready. Currently I solve that problem by having one computer always on. But I'd love an instant-on system, especially on the laptop.

Guest LilBambi

Although, with Linux distros and even WinXP being stable enought to leave running all the time and not needing to be reboot as often as Win98/ME for minor changes, you can actually leave them running so you don't have to worry as much about the boot time.But I do see what you mean Jeber.I will be getting Longhorn because my clients will be getting Longhorn with new computers when it comes out. I am sure there will be much to like and much to not like. As in any OS.

Where's the "killer app"?  What is it going to offer that I can't do with XP and maybe a few third-party addons like Google Desktop Search? ...What's MS going to introduce to convince me that Longhorn is worth the money?
What usually gets people to upgrade is lack of support for the old system by MS and by the newer releases of products such as AVs and word processors and DVD-RWs and games and etc.The same goes for vehicles. When what you have can no longer be repaired, or when it's cheaper to buy a newer model than continuing to repair an existing one, you upgrade. What you want to avoid is being forced to upgrade when it may be inconvenient. Upgrading under your own plan is better than leaving the situation to fate. :thumbsup:

A couple of quick comments: Temmu, I agree about WinFS and the dekstop search features. I'm concerned about perf. too. I believe you will be able to turn this off. Or better put, just not use it. I questioned Greg Sullivan about this very specifically, and while he didn't tell me what they were doing, he did tell me MS is confident they will be able to deliver the performance. Guess we're going to have to wait and see. Keep in mind, it's not likely to be worse than most of the desktop search solutions out there. Some of them are dogs, but the better ones are pretty fast, like X1, Blinx, Copernic, etc.About min. sys requirements, Microsoft has not said anything about CPU. The truth is, I don't think Longhorn will weigh down the CPU any more than XP does. It's the video card that matters more than anything. In addition to the ATI Radeon 9800 (I own two of these), the NVidea card needed is the 5900 (forget the exact model name). By the time Longhorn ships, there will be many other cards that are certified.Microsoft did say 512MB RAM would be min. for Longhorn. Beyond that, here's the truth: They usually don't announce sys reqs until after they go gold with the code. Would not surprise me if James is right that it'll be 1.0GHz or something like that. The CPU doesn't matter. What will matter is the age of the chipset, BIOS, etc. More than likely, you'll wait to buy your next computer before you get Longhorn. I would say that it would be a good time to buy your next computer if it's been a while and you can afford it. This is still a very ambitious upgrade. I would hold off on buying a new Windows PC right now if you think you can wait until the end of 2006.-- Scot

• 2 weeks later...

Screenshots show it still looks uglyKonfabulator is a great program btw - I use it at work and the widgets you can get for it are amazing and plenty. I also give it a thumbs up

• 1 month later...
i'm in agreement with scot about this:i'd rather wait a year for improvements that are stable and worth having than to get an upgrade like windows me (messed-up edition).
I prefer "Mistake Edition" myself :DA question for Scot (or anyone else who may happen to know the answer to this)...is there any chance that Windows Longhorn will be case-sensitive in the aspect of filenames?

• 8 months later...

Hi, :) I read the Hardware Demands for running the new version of Windows. However I want to ask, does anybody knows about Software Demands?To be more specific, a friend of mine, is a student at local university. His professor (beta tester) said that new version has built-in an anti-crack system for preventing users from running pirated software (I don't care about it). This has a sideeffect, that many shelf-made programs, not running at all. To be more specific, many Open Source multiplatform creations (BASIC, Python, Perl Win ports and such things) failed to run at all. :angry: Do you heard something about that?Best Regards!Elf Wizard. :thumbsdown:

I couldn't find any hard data on this in a quick search, but I would imagine at least a 1GHz CPU and 512MB of RAM.
EEEEEEEEE! Wrong. That's for XP.

• 9 months later...
Hi, :D I read the Hardware Demands for running the new version of Windows. However I want to ask, does anybody knows about Software Demands?To be more specific, a friend of mine, is a student at local university. His professor (beta tester) said that new version has built-in an anti-crack system for preventing users from running pirated software (I don't care about it). This has a sideeffect, that many shelf-made programs, not running at all. To be more specific, many Open Source multiplatform creations (BASIC, Python, Perl Win ports and such things) failed to run at all. :whistling: Do you heard something about that?Best Regards!Elf Wizard. :whistling:
The main demand is that all application should run in non-admin mode. If your application requires adding or modifying entries in anywhere other than your %userprofile% directory, you will be frustrated. A lot of times, Vista will fool application that settings are stored, but next time when you launch it again, it is as if your settings never existed. But if you right click on the icon and choose "Run as Administrator", it will trigger UAC, and if you click OK, you can launch the program as Administrator mode, and settings will be saved.Some examples include WinAMP, Adobe Photoshop CS2, and Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional.For WinAMP, if you choose the traditional way of storing settings under C:\Program Files\WinAMP, you will not be able to save your settings unless you run in Admin mode.For Photoshop CS2, every time you launch it, it will always ask you to register even after you dismiss the dialog countless times. So then if you run as Administrator, you can dismiss the registration dialog, and it is gone for good next time you run it in non-admin modeFor Acrobat 8, it works great except under Windows Internet Explorer 7, where the security measure prevents Distiller from checking to see if the copy is activated. So what do you do? You have to run IE as admin mode, to print PDF file!Bonus.. If you use Visual Studio 2005, you are in for the surprise :D Because you can't save your projects anywhere outside your %userprofile% directory unless of course, you run VS in Admin mode. There is more interesting story if you like to hear about it.I don't know much about open source applications. I know Firefox 2.0 runs perfectly fine on Vista. Python should be well supported even under .NET platform (IronPython).You mentioned about anti-cracking software. Well, I am not familiar with it, but as far as I know, everything can be done if you run in Admin mode. Vista may get suspicious if you modify programs. It will then trigger UAC and thinks that your program might not be installed properly. If you click "Allow" or "OK", you can run the program just fine. Just more hassle I guess. Edited by ThunderRiver