Latest Links to Mozilla Camino Browser

Neil P

Camino 1.0.2 has been released

• Camino
Camino's home pageDirect Download link for Camino 1.0.2 (See note below)Camino 1.0.2-MultiLingual is available, too!Direct Download of the latest nightly buildThe nightly folder to access older builds.The Camino forum at MozillaZine.Mike Pinkerton's blog -- He is Camino's primary developer, and his blog often has Camino Updates.Previous releases were under the name Chimera and are still available.

This list is incomplete. You can send me any links that you think should be added; also please let me know if any links do not work.Happy surfing!A note on the changes to Camino since version 1.0:

The following changes and improvements have been made since the Camino 1.0 release.In Camino 1.0.2, we have made the following changes and improvements since version 1.0.1: * Fixed several critical security issues, including those fixed in version 1.8.0.4 of the Mozilla Gecko rendering engine. * Fixed an issue in Camino 1.0.1 where proxy auto-config (PAC) files were ignored. * Fixed an issue where Camino’s bookmark metadata could not be added to the list of locations Spotlight is prevented from searching. * Fixed an issue where using Camino on a network with many Bonjour hosts could significantly degrade performance. * Fixed an issue where Camino would ignore the “Link from other application†tabbed browsing preference in certain cases. * Fixed an issue where Camino displayed some search fields on Apple.com incorrectly.In Camino 1.0.1, we have made the following changes and improvements since version 1.0: * Fixed several critical security issues, including those fixed in version 1.8.0.3 of the Mozilla Gecko rendering engine. * Upgraded the bundled Java Embedding Plugin (http://javaplugin.sf.net) to version 0.9.5+d * Improved ad-blocking, especially of German ads * Enabled the opening of local SVG files * Fixed an issue where Camino on Intel-based Macs was unable to read Keychain entries stored by Camino on PowerPC-based Macs.

• 1 month later...

Links last checked/verified on:June 26, 2005 by Neil (steeler_fan)Caminobrowser.org is a really nice site, and because of that, I had to remove several links from above. Also, one of them wasn't working anymore, so it's gone again.Anyone looking to get Camino should just check out caminobrowser.org, as it's perfect for finding information.

• 3 weeks later...

It is designed specifically for the Mac, and may integrate better (looks AND speed)... It's one of those personal preference things :thumbsup:

A branch has been cut for Camino 0.8This is good news for everyone who is looking for a new release of Camino...it is about halfway there now. The branch has been made for Mozilla 1.7, and Camino has made its own branch for 0.8. Branches = more stability, as new, bug causing code isn't included, so all the remaining bugs can be worked out. This post in the Browser forum explains the trunk/branch concept a little better, so check it out if its not making much sense (starting on page 3 :blink: )Camino nightly builds from the 0.8 branch are available here or Direct link.I urge you all to use this over the 0.7 release, TONS (and TONS and TONS and TONS) of changes have been made since then.

• 3 weeks later...

Camino 0.8b has been released :thumbsup: Anyone still using 0.7 DROP it, go to the Camino home page, the Camino 0.8b release notes or Straight to the ftp site to grab it yourself (Direct Link)Camino 0.8 final will be released in about a month, so look for it. Read the release notes if you are leery (I don't see how you could be, its been a year and a month+ since 0.7 was released, MAJOR changes have been made)

• 1 month later...

Will update the first post in the near future....Arena, here are some bugs related to the spellchecker:Bug 151040, Bug 86886, Bug 148098, and finally the Browser (not Camino specific) Bug 119232It seems like the issue is mostly in Bug 148098 (or rather once it is fixed, spellchecking would work).

I just refuse to believe that the fine Mozilla folks cant get the built in spell checker thats part of OS X to work with their browsers.... I mean there are a ton of other applications that take in text input and have the same built in spell checking cababilities from OS X. They need to get their act together. B)

• 5 months later...
But is it using Apple's built in spell check?  If not, then its just more bloat to the app... if it is, then its about time.
Not sure, let me see if I can find a bug (maybe I'll file one if I can't find it...):w00tx100:Neil[edit]Seems to be bug 151040 "Add access to Mac OS X global spelling checker" (also see above, none of those bugs have been fixed as of yet) Edited by steeler fan for life

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
http://www.caminobrowser.org/An "alpha" release of Camino 0.9 is available. Camino 0.9 will most likely be a huge improvement over the 0.8.x series, as the Gecko version in 0.8.x (like in Firefox 1.x), is OLD. The branch for it was cut back in APRIL of 2004. Camino 0.9 will be built from the trunk, or at least from MUCH newer code.Gecko improvements alone make it much more desireable. B)

• 2 months later...

In what can only be described as fantastic news for Camino, Google has hired Mike Pinkerton, lead Camino developer. While it's true that he'll be working on Firefox, it's also true that Google lets their employees work on their own "pet projects" for 20% of the time--meaning he can work on Camino and get paid for it!In a newer blog post from him, he talks about the road to Camino 1.0.

With the recent release of FF1.5b1, we're about ready to do another big drop of Camino off the Mozilla1.8branch (which we share with FF1.5). This new build, scheduled for either Monday or Tuesday, will be branded as Camino 1.0alpha1. We will not be releasing Camino 0.9 -- there's really no point. What we have is really, really good.
Camino 1.0a1 is available now!My question to the Mac using Highlanders out there: Do you use Camino? If not, have you tried it? (which version?) Are you using Firefox instead/in addition? Safari?

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I updated the links to point to the current Camino version (1.0.2).Some good news, Bug 151040, which I talked about earlier (to add access to the Mac OS X spell checker) has now been fixed! New nightly builds, and the next release will have this feature! I'm downloading a nightly myself, but so far I still prefer Firefox--though Camino is nice.

• 3 months later...

Steeler_fan, where does Camino stand these days? I know a lot of folks on Macs thinking about Mozilla Minefield (Firefox 3), and not giving Camino much thought. Why is that?Also, just to update this thread, Camino 1.0.3 is out now.-- Scot

Thanks for updating, Scot.I downloaded another nightly of Camino, and have found basically what I found before. It's a good browser, it's pretty quick, and it's native to OS X. The problem is that coming from Firefox, it just lacks in the extensibility area. I'm too dependent on extensions to be able to make the switch (although I just now noticed Camino has "block web advertising" in the preferences, I'll see how that works). And I don't even use very many extensions.It's a very capable browser, based on a great rendering engine. It's nice to have around, but in its current form it hasn't won me over from Firefox. I really haven't given it much use, so I'll continue to use it for a while and see how it works.

We share the exact same point of view. After my post I downloaded Camino too, and also liked it. But the lack of Extensions is just too big a deal. Like all Mozilla-derived browsers, Camino has about:config and seems to have the same tabbed browsing as Firefox 2, but it lacks the customizing entry in about:config, added for FF2, that leta you adjust the appearance of Close buttons on every tab (browser.tabs.closeButton = 0).Without full-fledged customization, Camino is a non-starter for me. I hope they come around.-- Scot

I'm a Camino user and love the browser, it's faster than FF and can be set-up to be pretty nice. It just takes a little more work. I use the 1.1-M1.8/ nightly with camitools, works great, never have any popups. Another tweak site for Camino is right here very useful. You can do anything in about;config that you can do in FF, just some things you have to add to your usercontent.css or Camino/prefs.js .Great browser.

Ha! Love the name of that site. I'd forgotten you can add things to about:config. Good point. Hmmm, maybe I will come back and check Camino out. I would miss extensions, though. But the truth is that right now, I'm not really running any that I absolutely have to have. FF2 added features the half-dozen or so things that I most relied on extensions for.Why doesn't Camino's dev team just add the extensions facility? Have they explained that?-- Scot

• 2 weeks later...

There's a MozillaZine thread about it here. Basically, though,

Making Firefox extensions work in Camino is impossible (with a very, very few exceptions) because the front end for the two browsers is completely different (Firefox and Mozilla use XUL, where the entire browser is pretty much a web page, wherease Camino uses Cocoa, which is OS X native), and Firefox extensions depend on that.Making Camino extensible should be theoritically possible, but it would have to be done pretty much for scratch and would be a *lot* of work.