Networking Basics, not ethernet

zlim

I need to network a 98SE notebook to a 2K desktop in the hopes that the 98 will "see" an 80 gig hd and be able to create an image to it.1. Previously, I've tried to do this with ghost, booting from DOS with special USB drivers loaded to replace the ones supplied by ghost which don't recognize much, and an external burner attached directly to the nb (it works but the restore takes at least 3 attempts before it agrees to see the 2nd disk out of 2 and completes the image restore. It's too unreliable for me). 2. I've tried Acronis TI v8 (98SE supported) but it freezes when using the boot CD or 6 set boot floppies. I suspect it doesn't know what to do with an attached USB drive in DOS. 3. I have a CD from Micron called MRestore, which is a version of powerQuest's Drive Image. It will create an image to a partition (which I don't have - the notebook came unpartitioned) or a network drive.I have the external hd attached to the 2K computer via USB. I plan on networking the two computers by a parallel network cable. (I can't use the normal network because my 98 is attached to the network using a USB to ethernet adapter and I suspect this won't be seen in DOS either). Do I need to do anything to allow the 98 SE nb to see the external drive?I truly can appreciate why most people don't image their hard drives. With older computers (98SE), it is next to impossible to do if the computer came with an unpartitioned hd and no burner.I do want to install 2K in place of the 98 but before I attempt this again, I want to be sure that I can reliably restore an image if something goes horribly wrong.

Hello,I take it removing the hard disk drive from the Micron notebook runing Microsoft Windows 98SE and placing it in an external USB enclosure or connecting it directly to the desktop computer running Microsoft Windows 2000 is not an option?Have you considered just starting the notebook as you normally do, connecting to your local area network and then copying the contents of its hard disk drive over to the desktop using the Xcopy command or ftp? A few files might not copy over if they are in-use and held open with exclusive access, but you might be able to create a .ZIP file of those when the notebook is booted at the command prompt and then restart the system and transfer those over the network connection.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

I need to network a 98SE notebook to a 2K desktop in the hopes that the 98 will "see" an 80 gig hd and be able to create an image to it.1. Previously, I've tried to do this with ghost, booting from DOS with special USB drivers loaded to replace the ones supplied by ghost which don't recognize much, and an external burner attached directly to the nb (it works but the restore takes at least 3 attempts before it agrees to see the 2nd disk out of 2 and completes the image restore. It's too unreliable for me). 2. I've tried Acronis TI v8 (98SE supported) but it freezes when using the boot CD or 6 set boot floppies. I suspect it doesn't know what to do with an attached USB drive in DOS. 3. I have a CD from Micron called MRestore, which is a version of powerQuest's Drive Image. It will create an image to a partition (which I don't have - the notebook came unpartitioned) or a network drive.I have the external hd attached to the 2K computer via USB. I plan on networking the two computers by a parallel network cable. (I can't use the normal network because my 98 is attached to the network using a USB to ethernet adapter and I suspect this won't be seen in DOS either). Do I need to do anything to allow the 98 SE nb to see the external drive?I truly can appreciate why most people don't image their hard drives. With older computers (98SE), it is next to impossible to do if the computer came with an unpartitioned hd and no burner.I do want to install 2K in place of the 98 but before I attempt this again, I want to be sure that I can reliably restore an image if something goes horribly wrong.
Why not just attach the external hd to the 98 nb long enough to create your image? Edited by lewmur

Why not just attach the external hd to the 98 nb long enough to create your image?
did that. The problem is that if windows dies, I have no way of restoring the image because without windows, the notebook doesn't see the external hd.
I take it removing the hard disk drive from the Micron notebook runing Microsoft Windows 98SE and placing it in an external USB enclosure or connecting it directly to the desktop computer running Microsoft Windows 2000 is not an option?
correct, not an option. I've been down that road too.

did that. The problem is that if windows dies, I have no way of restoring the image because without windows, the notebook doesn't see the external hd.correct, not an option. I've been down that road too.
With Acronis TI you can make a bootable cd that will recognize the external drive and restore the image. There are also some free image making apps that should do it.

If you look at my very first post in #2, I tried Acronis TI 8 both the 6 set boot floppies and the boot CD. It freezes at "Loading Acronis". I'm running out of options that's why I asked about using the parallel cable to network - I stand a better chance of the DOS under 98 not freezing with a parallel connection than I do with a USB connection.What led me to think about a parallel cable is the fact that MRestore (a Micron version of Drive Image) asks if I want to save an image to a zip or jaz drive. In those days, I had a zip drive connected via parallel port. (I've since sold the zip drive long before it got the click of death) and a superdisk drive also connected using the parallel port. Maybe it would see something connected via the parallel port. I'm clutching at straws here.

If you look at my very first post in #2, I tried Acronis TI 8 both the 6 set boot floppies and the boot CD. It freezes at "Loading Acronis". I'm running out of options that's why I asked about using the parallel cable to network - I stand a better chance of the DOS under 98 not freezing with a parallel connection than I do with a USB connection.What led me to think about a parallel cable is the fact that MRestore (a Micron version of Drive Image) asks if I want to save an image to a zip or jaz drive. In those days, I had a zip drive connected via parallel port. (I've since sold the zip drive long before it got the click of death) and a superdisk drive also connected using the parallel port. Maybe it would see something connected via the parallel port. I'm clutching at straws here.
First of all, you'd need a specially made cable to network via a parallel port. Then you'd need backup software that recognized the connection.I'd try to get a later version of TI. I think ver 9 is still free. Or try a Linux based Live CD such as this: Image Disk You don't need to know anything about Linux to use this type of software. In fact, Acronis's bootable CD is Linux based.But eventually, you should find backup software that has its own bootable disk if you want to be able to restore crashed HD. After all, if the HD has problems, you might not be able to boot from it. You boot the CD and use its software to create your image. It will image both LInux and Windows partitions. The software will recognize USB drives and allow you to use them to store your image file. No need for a bunch of floppies.BTW, Acronis can take some time to boot from its CD. It can appear to be frozen when it's not. Edited by lewmur

you'd need a specially made cable to network via a parallel port. Then you'd need backup software that recognized the connection.
That's covered. I have the correct type of parallel cable (don't know the name but it compares to an ethernet crossover cable). I also have software that came with the cable and I've used it but works in windows. Obviously I can't use that software if I'm not running windows.
you should find backup software that has its own bootable disk
That's what I've been trying to do. I've run Ghost, Acronis TI 8 (which will run on 98SE) - I don't know about the later versions being able to run on 98SE, MRestore (a Micron version of PQ Drive Image) and Drive Image 2002. I have bootable disk floppies and CDs galore.
Acronis can take some time to boot from its CD. It can appear to be frozen when it's not.
At first the cursor flashes and then after 11 or 12 flashes it quits. I let it in for 20 minutes and nothing happens so I really assumed it was frozen.
The software will recognize USB drives
find me one that will recognize USB drives in 98SE and I have no problem buying the software. So far this software escapes me.Now for a DUH moment...someone pointed out I'm going about it the impossible way. All I need to do is make my image under windows using the USB connected burner (which is recognized under windows). To restore, don't attach any USB devices. Boot from the boot CD, then tell it I want to restore from the CD. Replace the boot CD with the image CD and restore. :P :) :( :( I obviously never thought to do it logically!Another more costly option would be to replace the nb CD/DVD ROM with a CD burner/DVD player. I'm not sure I could just replace the current drive with any other internal nd drive because it is such an old nb. Thanks lewmur for offering your help. I do appreciate it.I'm going to reinstall TI 8 and try it a more logical way and see how it goes.

That's covered. I have the correct type of parallel cable (don't know the name but it compares to an ethernet crossover cable). I also have software that came with the cable and I've used it but works in windows. Obviously I can't use that software if I'm not running windows. That's what I've been trying to do. I've run Ghost, Acronis TI 8 (which will run on 98SE) - I don't know about the later versions being able to run on 98SE, MRestore (a Micron version of PQ Drive Image) and Drive Image 2002. I have bootable disk floppies and CDs galore. At first the cursor flashes and then after 11 or 12 flashes it quits. I let it in for 20 minutes and nothing happens so I really assumed it was frozen.find me one that will recognize USB drives in 98SE and I have no problem buying the software. So far this software escapes me.Now for a DUH moment...someone pointed out I'm going about it the impossible way. All I need to do is make my image under windows using the USB connected burner (which is recognized under windows). To restore, don't attach any USB devices. Boot from the boot CD, then tell it I want to restore from the CD. Replace the boot CD with the image CD and restore. :blink: :blink: :hmm: :hmm: I obviously never thought to do it logically!Another more costly option would be to replace the nb CD/DVD ROM with a CD burner/DVD player. I'm not sure I could just replace the current drive with any other internal nd drive because it is such an old nb. Thanks lewmur for offering your help. I do appreciate it.I'm going to reinstall TI 8 and try it a more logical way and see how it goes.
Win98SE has nothing to do with it. The bootable disk has its own OS. It doesn't care what OS the machine has. You boot the disk to make your image as well as restore it. If you d/l the iso from the link I gave you, it will allow you to burn a CD that will boot your NB no matter what OS its HD has. And you don't have to pay for it. It is free.BTW, I tried Acronis ver 10 and it won't allow USB but the software at the link I posted will.

try a Linux based Live CD such as this: Image Disk
Nice link!! Thanks :)
But eventually, you should find backup software that has its own bootable disk if you want to be able to restore crashed HD. After all, if the HD has problems, you might not be able to boot from it.
Absolutely. One of the secrets to a good backup is the ability to restore it. Most people concentrate on the backup function and overlook the restore aspect until it's too late. :'(

Hello,It sounds like you solved the problem, but here are two more options, just in case:Clone the notebook's hard disk drive to a second 2.5" PATA hard disk drive and store the second hard disk drive in a safe place. Install in notebook if the internal hard disk drive fails for some reason.Store the image of the notebook's hard disk drive on the desktop computer. If a problem occurs with the notebook's hard disk drive, restore the image a new 2.5" hard disk drive and install in the notebook.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Store the image of the notebook's hard disk drive on the desktop computer.
Aryeh, I can't get the image of the nb on to an attached external 80 gig hd so I really can't figure out how to store the image on another computer which seems harder than what I was trying to do. This copy of ghost doesn't allow images on networked drives; strictly local.

moot point now. I got out a Hiren's boot CD. The ghost on it worked perfectly for burning an image, verifying the image and restoring the image; better than any of the boot floppies or boot CDs that ghost had me make. Last night since I knew I had a working restore, I replaced the RAM (I upgraded my newer notebook from 256k to 1G and I used the 256k in the old notebook). Then I formatted the drive - goodbye 98SE and I'm now doing all the upgrades to 2K. Tonight I make a different image. 2K doesn't have the problem recognizing USB items plugged in. <phew>