Trustworthy Computing

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Is the Trusted Computing Platform Alliance the end of the PC as we know it?

Is the Trusted Computing Platform Alliance the end of the PC as we know it?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 OFFLINE   nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

Discussion Deity

• No Longer a Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 11:17 AM

What will, I believe, occur if Palladium rolls out as advertised is a proprietary Linux OS.
The only flaw with that statement is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to do that.  Linux is open source and it was put out under what is called "Copyleft".  Under the terms of the GPL once a software package has been put into GPL open source the source code MUST be made public and any modifications must be made public as well and whoever gets access to your source may redistribute it.  Anotherwords I can publish a program under GPL and only give copies of the program to anyone who gives me $10,000.  Under GPL I'm allowed to do that. But I must give the buyer the source code and once he has the code he could give it away FREE and there is not a D*** thing I can do to stop it.The Free Software movement likes to say that they mean Free as in Free Speech not Free as in Free Beer.  There is a joke on the internet that GPL is free as in herpes.  Once exposed you HAVE to pass it on.  Linux is stuck with this problem.  Had Linus used a FreeBSD license then he(or anyone else) could have taken it back to private status.  The only way you could get a proprietary Linux would be to start over from scratch and build yet another Unix clone OS.  Or you could go part way and build a fancy GUI ontop of the free Linux OS.  Note this is basicly what Apple did.  They put Agua ontop of Darwin.  Darwin is a free clone of BSD.
Nathan Williams, N-Line Computers

How to kill a programmer:  Give him a shampoo bottle.  Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

#27 OFFLINE   Prelude76

Prelude76

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 08:53 AM

nlinecomputers, on Apr 27 2003, 10:56 AM, said:

I'm tempted to go Linux full time but frankly for desktop use Linux often doesn't quite make it.  For one thing the fonts are UGLY.  I've tried all the how to's on ugly fonts and it helps some but put a Linux box down next to a Win XP box, a Mac, or even Windows 98 and the Linux box will be the ugliest of the bunch.  It hurts the eyes after a few hours.  And it isn't consistant.
check my thread in "All things linux", the one about ugly fonts in SuSE.  I had same problem, but found a fix for it and posted some info on it.now my fonts in Linux are beautiful.btw, it was due to the fact M$ doesn't license their truetype fonts to Linux Distros.  another example of a sick monopoly.  :D

#28 OFFLINE   jbredmound

jbredmound

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 12:24 AM

nlinecomputers, on May 11 2003, 10:17 AM, said:

[The only flaw with that statement is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to do that.  Linux is open source and it was put out under what is called "Copyleft".
I copy all of that. What make this so interesting is that the "proprietary" Linus OS (s) would not be hoarding code; they would be "selling sanity".I would count on my OS to make changes in a step-wise fashion, never ruining the compatibility with my other software (at least without notice). When an update was necessary or advisable, they would let me know...I wouldn't have to he "heads-up" about it.Yeah, it's a "Windows Model", but they couldn't pull an M$ on us for all of the reasons you mentioned. They would be a service more than a product. They would own nothing but their reputation.That's where Linux needs to go to be mainstream. By the way, if I read that whoever they are "started over", I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. I don't need to marry another OS.

#29 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 12:35 AM

Here's John Dvorak's take on TCPA.

'freedom...is actually the reason that men live together in political organisations at all. Without it, political life as such would be meaningless. The raison d'Être of politics is freedom, and its field of experience is action'.
My Flickr Photo Blog Posted Image
del.icio.us bookmarks Posted Image

#30 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,553 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 02:00 AM

The movie "The Net" seems more and more plausible as the days go by.Thanks for reviving this thread Peachy ... we certainly need to think long and hard on this.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#31 OFFLINE   Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Nocturnal Radio Geek

• Forum MVP
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 02:01 AM

Peachy, on Jun 24 2003, 11:35 PM, said:

Here's John Dvorak's take on TCPA.
Great article, Peachy- thanks!Wow! Testify, John Dvorak, testify.  :unsure:
Special Limited Edition Cluttermaster 2007 with direct air cooling system.
"ClutterLabs" --open hardware for open software" .......... Registered Linux User 446867

("It takes an entire village to raise a child...")
"It takes only one bulldozer to raze an entire village..."
"Hey, Fred- isn't that your kid driving that bulldozer?"

In loving memory of Bruno Knaapen of Amsterdam, who shared
his love of Linux, and thereby made the world a better place...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users