Tell Us About Your Mac!

bjf123

I bought a G3 266 Mhz, 256 Mb ram with OS X. It has a Zip drive too.  I bought it on Ebay for $149 including shipping.I'm reading "Mac OS X Jaguar Edition" by Robin Williams, good book.I'll add a few essential apps: Appleworks, FTP client, Sahara, and Camino and .......So far I really like it.  It will be my main web surfer and email client.Ken
Awesome! Welcome aboard Ken! Feel free to ask any questions :P

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arena2045

• teacher

• ross549

• siebkens

I bought a G3 266 Mhz, 256 Mb ram with OS X. It has a Zip drive too.  I bought it on Ebay for $149 including shipping.I'm reading "Mac OS X Jaguar Edition" by Robin Williams, good book.I'll add a few essential apps: Appleworks, FTP client, Sahara, and Camino and .......So far I really like it.  It will be my main web surfer and email client.Ken
Awesome! Welcome aboard Ken! Feel free to ask any questions :P
This is my training wheels :D Maybe I'll move up to a G4 or G5 one of these days. :P It's fun and I like a challenge.

• 7 months later...
RichNRockville

I just bought a mini-mac and am very pleased with it's operation.I can use my linksys attached printers and log into my windows 2003 network.all in all, I don't understand what all the fuss is about as I can use the mini-mac on myhome network just like any of the other 5 computers attached to it.I intend on upgrading the ram to 1gig so that I can try to run virtual pc for mac.:)I went for the faster processor and the super drive but I should have upgraded to 1gig raminstead of 512meg.But we live and learn.I like the Isight video camera, what a good clear picture and it goes with ichat. Havent' been able to figure out how it goes with yahoo chat yet but working on it.I also like the timed turn on and off options. :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

iBook clamshell G3 300mHz, 198 MB RAM, 6 GB harddrive, OS 9.2, Airport cardiMac, G3 400 mHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB harddrive, OS 9.2 (I am going to install OS X)I bought these computers used because I started working at a newspaper where I use an iMac everyday. It drove me nuts not knowing the ins and outs of the computer, so I bought the iBook and liked it. I then bought the iMac.Both purchased on ebay.I am considering a Mini-Mac, but am waiting for Tiger to be released.

I bought an eMac when the Mini was released. Rising expectations at the Mini rumors and then disapointment with the specs when it was released led to my eMac purchase. Fail to see why Apple is stuck on the 1 button mouse. My experience vastly increased when I finally broke down and bought a multi-button scroll wheel mouse.Besides Logitech and MS, Kensington is a good choice for a mouse.

Edited by jtrapp

Chrysler1924

Greetings All, I'm using an Apple PowerBook G4 15", SuperDrive. I love the computer except for the fact that last month the harddrive died and I had to get it replaced. (Computer is only four months old!)I'm still learning the world of the Mac, as I just made the switch with this computer.-C

Congrats Chrysler1924! The PowerBooks are great systems. Feel free to post here in ATM if you have any questions, or if you find a really cool app and want to share it with the rest of the community.

• 9 months later...

G4 ibook for Christmas! ;) Wonder how my husband knew exactly what i wanted? :thumbsup: I'm back into mac & will be learning more!! This forum, of course, was my first stop for information. B)

Edited by siebkens

I was given an iMac with OS9 and 128Mb RAM about a year ago. I use it sparingly because I don't really know what to do with it :w00t: . I did manage to upgrade to IE 5.1 for Mac all by myself :P What will this puppy do? I can surf with it but that's all I know how to do with it. I come from the world of PC's and Windows B)

Edited by daveydoom

What will this puppy do? I can surf with it but that's all I know how to do with it. I come from the world of PC's and Windows :w00t:
What processor is in the system?

Does this look like the system? If you can get a DVD drive in it, you should be able to upgrade to OS X. You'll also need some more RAM. While you wouldn't want to use this system for any heavy CPU processes, it should work fine for e-mail, web browsing, etc.I come from a long Windows background, starting with Win 3.1. I've been using Macs and OS X for a couple of years now, and love it. I've still got a Windows PC at home for a couple of needs, but since I started using my iMac (G4 700 Mhz), I've added an iBook for my wife and a Powerbook for me. I find that I use the Powerbook every day. I use the iMac desktop system every couple of days, and the Windows box (XP Home) about once a week.

Actually, it looks like this one.Is it hard to add more RAM? I have no idea how to do it in a Mac and I'm not really interested in spending any money on it but I would like to know how to do it. I will probably continue to use it for surfing as I have been doing. I could also use it to access my web based emails.Just cool to play around with :)Thanks for your time so far :devil: .Dave

Edited by daveydoom

I'm not familiar with that particular model, but I added memory to my iMac and my wife's iBook. Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can! :devil: Just don't buy Apple's memory. It's too expensive. I've never used OS 9, but I think if you upgrade to OS X, you'll be very happy.

• 10 months later...

Well it is technically not mine but I was able to talk my boss into getting me a Mac. :w00t:Processor 2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel XeonMemory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMMSo far I have no complaints. Everything has been great. I am still learning about the utilities and features that I am not used to!

*wipes the drool off the desk.....*Wow. 2 3GHz dual core processors? Wow! :w00t: B)
Yes I was surprised myself! The machine really does rip through the little tasks I have given it.Now if I could talk them into buying me one for home :w00t:

Currently my main Mac is a 2.0GHz Core Duo MacBook Pro 15 w/2GB RAM and the 120GB 5400-rpm hard drive. My Computerworld-supplied Mac is the same model with the 100GB 7200-rpm drive.But ... my new Mac (which was supposed to arrive tomorrow, but now won't arrive until next week) is a 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro 17 with 2GB RAM and the 160GB 5400-rpm hard drive and the glossy screen. Needless to say, I'm very happy (even before I get it), very much in hock (although I managed to get a great deal), and very fed up with Vista after all the reviews I've done of it over the last 5 years. Right now, it's Mac time.We'll see how long I can truly stay away from Windows though. B) -- Scot

I am undecided which Mac to buy though. I still have to define what my real needs are. I probably won't make a real decision until Photoshop CS 3 is released next year. B)

I see I have been remiss and have yet to post about my Mac(s). This summer I purchased the MacBook Pro with the 2.0 Mhz specs. It has 1 GB of RAM and at some point I intend to up it, but based upon Scot's experience and what I have read I will be careful when I do it. In the meantime there has been absolutely nothing that has made me say I should increase my RAM as of yet.Today we bought hubby's Christmas/Thanksgiving/Whatever Excuse present. He is now the proud owner of the last month model of a CoreDuo iMac 20". Unfortunately this model only has 512 of RAM. Since his intended usage is Solitaire, E-Mail and Internet, I think it is sufficient. The sleek white monitor hooked him. I made him try the keyboard first to see what he thought. I could not believe that he became hooked so quickly. I mentioned the iMac over coffee and less than half an hour later he owned one. :hysterical: Someone tried to talk to him about training and support. He laughed and pointed at me. :DFrom zero to two in four months. I think Scot has me beat on that count though. :hysterical:

Julia, I have a RAM recommendation for you. This actually comes from Ken Mingis, Computerworld's resident Mac expert. A little company called DMS, in New Hampshire, sells Mac memory that is very low cost and has zero problems. Ken has bought from them numerous times, and I bought the extra 1GB SIMM for my MBP 15" Core Duo 2.0GHz machine from them. No problems. The SIMM in my other MBP 15 is from Kensington, a memory company I trust implicitly -- no problems there either. The difference in price is something like $40. Try DMS.Good luck with your husband's iMac.Now that I've had my MBP C2D 17" for 5 days, you can't pry it out of my hands. -- ScotP.S. For the moment we have 5 Macs in the house; we recently got an eval. unit at Computerworld of the Core 2 Duo MacBook 13. Since this is the model I've been thinking about buying for my 15-year-old next summer (after Leopard arrives), I brought home the loaner so he could check it out. He liked it, but he's not very picky about computers. He's keen on GarageBand though. Anyway, we'll go back to 4 Macs next week. Unless I buy another one (not gonna happen this year!)

Cool. My adopted daughter from next door has the 13" model of an earlier flavor (from the year she started college 2 1/2 years ago). She loves it but I just can't handle the keyboard size. It drives me crazy to use it. All of my other complaints with hers have been changed by Mac along the way (like the connection for the power unit). I have bookmarked the RAM site. They have the 1GB stick for my MacBook Pro at $100. I do believe I will get that. The new iMac for hubby is in my basket and I will place the order on Friday after I return the dud tomorrow.

I am typing this from hubby's iMac. Do you realize just how big the 20" screen is? I know, 20 inches. :hysterical: It looks huge in comparison to my MacBook Pro with the 15 inch screen. We thought we were leaving the store with our full refund when the head Mac Salesperson remembered he had a brand new iMac with the core duo 2 processor, 1GB ram. 250GB hard drive and the 2.16 processsor speed (all standard) in a box that looked almost like a forklift went through it. He got the general manager to sell it to me at their cost which made it very sweet. Needless to say we checked it over closely for any possible damage. There is not so much as a smudge on it. It works great. I am busy doing the updates and installing Office:Mac on it. So it is official, we are a two Mac family. When daughter comes home on Friday she is going to freak. Then when my IT brother and my HP repairman brothers come at Christmas they are going to think I am not going to heaven.........

20" is nice huh? :hysterical: Adam
That would be putting it mildly. I would not know what to do with the 24". The 20 completely fills the monitor space on my desk.

Time to look for another computer desk. :thumbsup:
Actually I moved it to hubby's desk which is completely open. He wanted room to see the deer in the yard so he is happy. B)

• 3 weeks later...
Jeremy Avalon

I have... *flips machine over to read*...*flips back to type*A PowerBook G3 400Mhz, 384 RAM. And an 8MB video card.And it's... six years old. A Pismo, of course.Running 10.3.9 just fine. [insert "what a poet" joke here]And that is why I complain about FireWire being dropped from iPods. ;) Stupid USB 1.1.