Low end ATI drivers

lewmur

I'm not really into fancy graphics or gaming, so I never invest much money in graphics card. That said, has *anyone* *ever* succeeded in using the proprietary ATI drivers with low end devices? I haven't. I've tried time and time again and somehow they never work. I just bought a new Asrock FX MB with an 8 core Vishera CPU and builtin Radeon 3000. Went to the ATI site and downloaded the driver and Catalyst app they specified for the 3000 and the install app seemed to work. But, sure enough, at the very end I got a message saying there was an error.

This is in Mint 14 with the Cinnamon desktop. It installed the Catalyst apps but when I tried to run them, I got an error saying the driver wasn't installed. Of course, in the process, it took way my dual monitor setup and left me with mirrored monitors. Had to re-install xserver to get my original setup back. :'( :devil: :angry2:

Edited by lewmur

securitybreach

There is no amd/ati support for the 2xxx/3xxx/4xxx cards anymore with the Catalyst drivers as AMD stopped supporting those cards: http://wiki.cchtml.c...ex.php/Hardware

There is a legacy driver but it requires an older kernel and version of xorg than LinuxMint has.

ATI/AMD initially dropped Catalyst support for these cards in the regular Catalyst 12-6. These cards are now supported with the later released Catalyst 13-1 legacy, but you MUST use a kernel

* R600 Radeon HD 2900

* RV610/RV630 Radeon HD 2400/2600, 3000/3100/3200/3300, M71, M72, M74, M76

* RV620 Radeon HD 3450/3470, M82

* RV635 Radeon HD 3650/3670, M86

* RV670 Radeon HD 3850/3870, M88

* RS780 Radeon HD 3100/3200/3300

* RS880 Radeon HD 4100/4200/4290

* RV710 Radeon HD 4350/4550/5145/530v/545v, M92

* RV730 Radeon HD 4650/4670/5165/550v/560v/565v, M96, M96-XT

* RV770 Radeon HD 4850/4870, M97, M98

Note: this is AMD dropping support for older cards, not Linux. You can always use the open source xf86-video-ati driver as that was the one you were using before.

There is no amd/ati support for the 2xxx/3xxx/4xxx cards anymore with the Catalyst drivers as AMD stopped supporting those cards: http://wiki.cchtml.c...ex.php/Hardware

There is a legacy driver but it requires an older kernel and version of xorg than LinuxMint has.

Note: this is AMD dropping support for older cards, not Linux. You can always use the open source xf86-video-ati driver as that was the one you were using before.

I'll have to admit that I didn't buy the "latest and greatest" motherboard, but I'd have thought that any FX board Newegg was selling wouldn't stuff that was already "out of date". Bummer!! :'(

securitybreach

Well I never use the built in graphics on my motherboard as they are usually crap anyway. If you do not care about high end graphics/games, I would suggest that you buy a 5xxx or 6xxx PCI-E card for about $40 (or less) on Newegg and you will be good to go

I have a desktop from 2008 with an ATI/AMD X1250 integrated video. When AMD stopped supporting the proprietary driver I switched to Nvidia 8400GS and now have an Nvidia 440GT in the box. Nvidia always seems to be the best idea for Linux.

Of course if you have a very old ATI video card like X300 or so the open source driver will do the job. You won't expect a lot of graphics performance there anyway.

securitybreach

Of course if you have a very old ATI video card like X300 or so the open source driver will do the job. You won't expect a lot of graphics performance there anyway.

Actually now the open source ATI driver (xf86-video-ati) works beautifully on higher end cards and I actually got better performance using it over the Catalyst driver. I have a Radeon HD 6970 2 GB video card and I have no issues at all with performance.

I agree that the open source drivers were kind of crappy for a long time but they have came a long way over the past year. Now the open source driver have surpassed Catalyst in terms of performance and speed. You do not get that nice gui configuration and you have to configure it by hand for anything other than a single monitor layout but it is well worth it IMO.