Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 LTS Released

securitybreach

securitybreach

For the Ubuntu fans here:

After six months of development the latest version of Ubuntu has been released.

As a ‘Long Term Support’ release Ubuntu 12.04 LTS will be backed up fixes and updates for the next five years.The ‘P’ in the Ubuntu 12.04 codename (“Precise Pangolin”) could just as easily stand for ‘Performance’ as it does ‘Precise’.

Speed, once a rod used to beat Unity with, is now arguably its greatest strength; a yardstick by which other desktop environments may start to be measured.

This speed boost feeds into the entire OS feeling brand new. Ubuntu is fast, snappy and responsive. In fact this release is perhaps best representative of the “Unity” vision proposed by Canonical; everything from apps to environment feels cohesive in 12.04. Elements that were, in prior releases, half-finished or cumbersome to use now feel polished and intuitive. Quicklists, for example, were one ‘feature’ of Unity that hadn’t been exploited by many of Ubuntu’s default apps until now.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/04/ubuntu-12-04-released/

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

V.T. Eric Layton

YAY! Ubuntu!

I've recently started introducing my MS Windows clients to Linux by using Linux Mint or Bodhi. Ubuntu's still a great choice, though. :)

Ubuntu is great. I started downloading it 4 hours ago and it should be finished in about 5 min. This shows how many people want it. For now I'll just play with it in Vbox.And I really liked Mint because it gots all the codecs preinstalled and Bodhi really looks kool.

securitybreach

Ubuntu is great. I started downloading it 4 hours ago and it should be finished in about 5 min. This shows how many people want it.

It must of been the mirror or your connection as I got it in about 6 minutes.

securitybreach

I don't want to talk about how long it would take to download it on Verizon Wireless or what it would cost me!...

Well your speed is decent but yeah the 732.2mb would hurt your monthly allowance. :thumbsdown:

V.T. Eric Layton

...I really liked Mint because it gots all the codecs preinstalled and Bodhi really looks kool.

Same here. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

I have an installation of Debian (Sid) on my main system. You all know that I'm not far from a Debian installation. I always have one somewhere. :yes:

Guest LilBambi

Yes, Linux Mint looks very good indeed.

I have an installation of Debian (Sid) on my main system. You all know that I'm not far from a Debian installation. I always have one somewhere. :yes:

Me too! :thumbsup:

Ubuntu 11.10 was my first (very recent) foray into Linux and I love it. I actually do not boot into Windows anymore at all except for the occasional Office feature I need for school. If Grammarly made a plug-in for LibreOffice, I would probably wipe Windows 7 and go straight Ubuntu and Bodhi.

A question, do i need to upgrade to the new Ubuntu? i am happy with 11.10 and do not really want to mess with the recipe. I will eventually upgrade, I am sure. I am just not really in a hurry to do so.

V.T. Eric Layton

And in answer to your query regarding upgrading... No. You don't have to upgrade just because a new version of Ubuntu has been released. Should you decide that you would like to upgrade, though, I believe you can upgrade the entire distribution to the newer version via the command line/apt-get.

cookie@ubuntu~:$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

You can also do it from the update manager graphic application, if you'd feel more comfortable with a graphic oriented method.

http://www.ubuntu.co...desktop/upgrade

There is one advantage to upgrading to 12.04. It is an LTS (long term support) version; meaning that updates and fixes will be offered for a substantially longer period than the standard releases.

There is one advantage to upgrading to 12.04. It is an LTS (long term support) version; meaning that updates and fixes will be offered for a substantially longer period than the standard releases.

5 Years to be exact!

• Like 1

Cluttermagnet

Yes, Linux Mint looks very good indeed.

Me too! :thumbsup:

I don't know how Mint snuck into this thread, but I agree heartily. Linux mint sometimes borders on amazing. I'll start a new thread to explain why, however.

Thanks for the heads up on the latest Ubuntu. I'll download and try it out. :thumbsup:

I installed it but I doubt I'm going to use it. I have a Radeon 7300 series video card but the "Additional Driver" won't let me install "post-release updates" driver and the vanilla FLGRX driver breaks my TVTime sound. I've had to use the gnome-alsa-mixer to get sound for TVTime for quite some time. But with the FLGRX driver installed, that only gives me TV sound to the headphone jack. No sound at all to the line out jack which attaches to my monitor.

I still probably use it some just to attempt to get used to Unity. UGHHH! :angry2:

I've been using Xubuntu 12.04 for some time now on my ugly old Dell Mini 12. After some initial configuration of Grub2 I have got it using the GMA500 open source driver and for the first time in a couple of years I have true 1280X800 video display. It's the best option out there right now for these beasts that use this stupid GMA 500 video chipset.

I've heard that Fedora 17 is also a decent possibility but for now I'll stick with Xubuntu.

I just did a clean install of 12.04 from 10.04 and so far like it. I had heard all the horror stories the past two years about unity, even though I had toyed with natty in VB when it came out, but I think I can get to tolerate or maybe even like unity. I forgot to remove all my hidden folders in "home" and so HUD didn't work. Deleted them and got rid of all redundant PPA's and HUD started to work. I just add whatever hidden folder I need, from the backup, when installing the coresponding program, then I don't have to go through the hassle of re-configuring. Now I'm good to go for a few years.

V.T. Eric Layton

I've learned over the years to read reviews and criticisms, but to still try it for myself. A long time ago, someone once told me that I wouldn't like Slackware. ;)

securitybreach

I've learned over the years to read reviews and criticisms, but to still try it for myself. A long time ago, someone once told me that I wouldn't like Slackware. ;)

:thumbsup:

saturnian

:lol:

Whenever I read about how awful something is, I tell myself, "But a lot of people like it; maybe I'll try it and find out why."

V.T. Eric Layton

That's a rule I use for going to see a movie. If the critics trash it, I'll probably like it. ;)

burninbush

There is one advantage to upgrading to 12.04. It is an LTS (long term support) version; meaning that updates and fixes will be offered for a substantially longer period than the standard releases. >Eric

+++++++++++++

I don't understand this; who keeps a linux version going for 5 years? Why would anyone want to? Guessing, this means they'll keep a repo going for that long?

I wonder if the next LTS will come out in 14.04 or will they delay it until the current one has a year left on it. So maybe the next LTS would come out in 2016? It seems wierd if they stick to the current every two years for an LTS, if the current one still has three years left.

saturnian

I can't see myself using any release for five years, but it might turn out to be nice to have that option, for some people. Thinking of Scientific Linux...

I can't see myself using any release for five years, but it might turn out to be nice to have that option, for some people. Thinking of Scientific Linux...

I don't want LTS for myself. But I certainly want it for anyone else for whom I setup Linux.