Oracle to stop patching Java 6 in February 2013

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Oracle to stop patching Java 6 in February 2013 - Computerworld

Presents problems for Mac owners running Snow Leopard and earlier versions of OS X

And for any user who haven't updated to Java 7 yet too.

Java 6 will be retired from security support in less than two months, and users and businesses should prepare now for its demise, experts said today.

Oracle will publicly patch Java 6 for the last time on Feb. 19, 2013. After that date, only enterprises with contract support plans will receive security updates, according to the Java support roadmap.

My blog posting about this.

Edited by LilBambi

The "end of life" date for Java SE 6 was originally extended from July 2012 to November 2012, to allow some more time for the transition to JDK 7 and then extended to February 2013. Commercial extended support will be required for any companies interested in receiving Java 6 security advisories, patches and bug fixes, after February 2013.

On a related note, although the recent Java update to 7u10 did not include an update for security vulnerabilities there was a security enhancement added to the program, including the ability to disable any Java application from running in the browser and the ability to select the desired level of security for unsigned applets, Java Web Start applications, and embedded JavaFX applications that run in a browser.

Unfortunately, most users of Java will not understand or even know about the different options. The default setting is "medium", which will result in unsigned Java apps in the browser still able to run without prompting if the Java version is considered secure. There will only be a prompt if the unsigned app requests to run on an old version of Java. (See Setting the Security Level of the Java Client)

Thanks Corrine. Apparently I did not update Java to update 10. I just did it and again my Contol Panel icon has gone missing, just like in October.

I think Oracle does this by design so I can tweak the settings!

Now to find the thread from October to see what I have to do to make it visible again!

Here's the thread

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=58527

guess I'll have to do this every time I update java. grrr

Thank goodness I only have it on one computer.

I think I'm going to uninstall Java then do a clean install and see if it gets fixed.

Edited by zlim

Steve Gibson had some pretty harsh words for Java 7 in the Security Now podcast yesterday.

"Just because it is newer, DOES NOT mean it is better."

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

"Just because it is newer, DOES NOT mean it is better."

He's right about that. I had so many issues with the last three Adobe Flash browser plugins that I rolled all the way back to version 10.2 (codename: Square) to resolve the issues. I haven't had a lick of problems with 10.2.

Oh, and on topic... I am running Java 7u10 in Slack and Arch. :)

Well this was interesting. I decided to uninstall Java and start from scratch.

1. Downloaded JavaRA v2 which suggested I should use Java's own uninstaller. Major Problem, Java was not listed in Programs list so I went searching and opened the Java folder. There was no icon to allow me to uninstall it.

2. Used JavaRA to uninstall then to install newer version. (Suggest doing a manual install because JavaRA didn't do the automatic well).

3. That didn't work well. The next time I looked, I had Java 6 back (I removed this ages ago) as well as Java 7 update 9!

4. Used the Java Control Panel icon (that's about the only thing that worked correctly) to update to 10 and now my Security tab shows what it is supposed to.

5. Used Revo Unistaller to remove jre6 completely from the computer.

Question: Is it safe to REMOVE the FF plugin Java Deployment Toolkit? I have it disabled but would prefer to enable then completely remove something I don't need.

Guest LilBambi

It really doesn't matter about the commercial guys paying for continued updates to Java 6. That just muddies the waters.

Leaving many clients with a catch 22.

Many Java apps on the web force an upgrade to run as they should. For example, when Java 7 Update 10 came out, Minecraft in the browser wouldn't work at all till you upgraded to the latest Java 7 Update 10.