Is the 2.6 kernel ready for general distribution?

Bruno

For all of us who have been testing, running, struggling with the new 2.6 kernel ( version 2.6.4 now ) here is an interesting article . . . . .

But it's hard to stop a 100-kilogram ball when it starts to roll down a steep hill, and the "our latest release includes the latest kernel" ball is moving well over 100 kph and gathering momentum, not slowing.
Still wondering why there are so many updates for the distro's that use the new kernel . . and KDE 3.2 . . . and XFree 4.4 ( Slackware ) ?? Have a nice read :'( http://software.newsforge.com/software/04/...2&tid=82&tid=94 ( Newsforge site is slow today )B) Bruno

I am still not personally using 2.6. I have not really heard of any "must have features" that it has. It is supposed to be faster, but from what I heard, it is not much.Basically, I dunno. :'(

SonicDragon

Personally... i can't wait till slackware comes with the 2.6 kernal :D I'd love to be using it... i just don't really want to mess with doing it myself. I'd rather have it included with slackware B)

Well, it's certainly not ready for my computer at home. But, Mandrake is kind enough to include the 2.4 kernel as well, so I'm still running Drake 10. With Bruno's recent "synthesis" tip, it's no big thing for me to do updates.It looks like they declared 2.6 ready a little too soon. It may need to cook a little longer.

A little too soon? Yes, probably so.However, that said, I have been having fun and even with all the updates (which on DSL are not a pain) it has been quite nice. I hope they get the bugs out before the next release.Julia :D

Personally... i can't wait till slackware comes with the 2.6 kernal  :D I'd love to be using it... i just don't really want to mess with doing it myself. I'd rather have it included with slackware  B)
Sonic . . with the new XFree 4.4 ( great version !! ), The Gimp 2.0 final and KDE 3.2.1 we got today, the 2.6 kernel would be the topping on the cake . . . :DB) Bruno

Could recompiling the kernel bring better support to my board? Perhaps I could configure it to work better with my oddball motherboard.Or would that be way more trouble than it's worth. I'm really starting to think about it because I get the feeling it should work and it's just not configured right due to the rare nature of my board. Not many people have heard of a Slot 1 Rambus board. Of course, that's probably due to the extreme cost of the board and the Ram when both came out. I got the board real cheap and found out why when I tried to put my Dimms in it."What's Rambus"? :D "Oh! it's that memory no one has in stock and everyone wants a fortune for." B)

Or would that be way more trouble than it's worth
I am afraid it is . . . .
"What's Rambus"?"Oh! it's that memory no one has in stock and everyone wants a fortune for"
Drake 10 should have Rambus support . . and for sure 2.6 will have it enabled . . :D Bruno

Well, you know me. I'm just a glutton for punishment. I managed to get the latest Mandrake 2.6 kernel to compile on the second try. It takes a while to go through all the <help>'s to decide if it's safer to include something when I don't know what it is or to exclude. I wanted as few modules as possible, so I said no to everything that looked safe to say no to.I haven't done the kernel panic test yet, though. I ran out of time this morning. I guess I'll try that later. I'll probably try tomorrow morning.

SonicDragon
I haven't done the kernel panic test yet, though. I ran out of time this morning. I guess I'll try that later. I'll probably try tomorrow morning.
Good luck! i hope all goes well for ya >_<

It worked, sort of. I had my mouse working, but it made all CLI functions useless. I only had GUI.I got a new USB mouse that I bid on in one of my company auctions. It works fine in the official kernel, so I deleted my custom one.