Is Apple promoting piracy ?

bob3160

Is Apple, through its policy of not selling it's operating system, promoting or endorsing piracy?We know that dual booting from an Intel® Core™ Duo processorbetween a Microsoft Windows XP and an Apple OSX operating system is possible.If you purchase a computer from Apple, with OSX installed as its native operating system,Apple has software available (bootcamp) to make dual booting between OSX and XP possible.If however you own the same Intel® Core™ Duo processor which has Mirosoft's Windows XP operating systeminstalled as it's native operating system, the only way to achieve dual boot capability betweenMac OSX10 and Windows XP is through a pirated and patched OSX10 install DVD.Remember, none of this is theory, it is fact.Wake up Apple! Make the money while the market is ripe.Please don't wait till the market is flooded with pirated, altered and possible infected technology.

Hi, Bob. Your duplicate post on this topic was removed. It would get too confusing carrying on a discussion of the same topic in multiple forums.How about a link to the Apple policy referenced in your comments.

BobWhy pirate Mac? If you want the same type of operating system then you go with Linux. They both have the same Unix core. The benefit of Mac over Linux is that there is a very limited set of hardware. When you are creating an operating system and you are dealing with only one or two types of video cards, one or two processors, etc., it is much easier to have a very polished system.If you take that same operating system and install it on different hardware, you are going to have to go around a bunch of things to make it work. Sure you can throw an X11 system on it and make it work with different hardware, but then what is the big difference between that and Linux? Have you checked out the price of the Mac Operating System? If so, then you will know that it is much cheaper than the Windows operating system. The only thing cheaper is some of the Linux distros. I see that there is a group that have been pirating Mac and making it run through VM or other work arounds. Maybe it is because I stay far away from anything that is pirating. Every link I found while researching this reply was dead. I wonder why? The PCWorld and various articles printed just a month ago have links to sites that are blank or now require a subscription..You think Apple needs to wake up and make money while the market is ripe? Why don't you go read the Wall Street Journal and take a look at how they are doing financially. Everything I have read indicates that Apple is doing much better than it was two years ago. I should probably buy some Apple stock because I believe they are really moving along. I tried to find a link that was not subscription based but the WSJ is strictly a pay to read web site so I can't post a link.I helped someone buy a Mac yesterday. She was a perfect candidate for a Mac. She hates to do updates because she is afraid it will be something other than a real update. I was afraid to put her on a Windows machine for that very reason. She has very limited computer skills. She felt comfortable on the Mac. We had to start with basics like how do you turn it on, off, print, open a document, etc. I can tell you this though....she was all smiles with her new Mac. For someone like her, a pirated operating system is of no value. I would not want a pirated system because I want the updates, I want the security, and I like how it works. Do you have any references for your posting? :) I like to research things and see where information comes from.

I know I would not want to try to boot OSX on non-Apple hardware. It would ruin the whole Apple experience. The whole draw for OSX is that "it just works." It would not "just work," since there are no drivers for non-Apple hardware.This may surprise you, but linux developers and packagers spend the majority of their time trying to make linux work on the virtually millions of hardware combinations out there.Adam :)

XP costs less if you consider that Cheeta (v10.0 Released March 24th 2001), Puma (v10.1), Jaguar (v10.2), Panther (v10.3), and Tiger (v10.4) were not free updates. Check 5 years of XP verses 5 years of OS X...

XP costs less if you consider that Cheeta (v10.0 Released March 24th 2001), Puma (v10.1), Jaguar (v10.2), Panther (v10.3), and Tiger (v10.4) were not free updates. Check 5 years of XP verses 5 years of OS X...
How about when you factor in the costs of antivirus, spyware removal tools and the time to re-install when it slows down or crashes after some little nasty gets by your defenses? Not to mention the headaches that go along with that B) I personally will pay happily for updates that make my system better and more usable.

Five years of new releases - with fresh and new features says a lot. The only distro I know that has not been updated in five years is XP and that is most of its problems.

And in those 5 years there was nothing you could do on a Mac that couldn't be done on a PC... 5 years of new versions and they are both still at parity...

In general, a feature-by-feature match-up of the current platforms is a draw. "Anything you can do on one, you can do on the other," said co-owner of the site XvsXP.com, James Scariati. "The key difference between the two OS's is not so much the features themselves, but their implementation."
http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?stor...K3US&page=1

Back to the topic...Apple has always tied it's opertaing systems to Apple hardware. Switching to Intel has changed nothing. If you want an Apple OS you need to fork over the money for the Apple hardware.Take the iPod out of the Apple revenue stream of the last few years and Apple is struggling to stay afloat.I have Apple stock options and I'm still under water..... By all means BUY Apple!

All this OSX to PC story is already so deep that it's practically impossible to stop it at this point. It even runs faster on PCs than on Apple architecture. ---links removed---

Edited by LilBambi

--link removed--From what I am reading .... the entire OSX86 project may be in violation of the DCMA, and at the very least, the EULA that you accept when purchasing OSX for yourself. Now I've not done much study on this (mainly because I did not think it even worked on x86 PCs), but I don't think it would be wise for Apple to release (and support) this for anyone who wanted to run it on a generic PC. Apple would be opening a can of worms in the support arena by doing this, and they would spend a disproportionate amount of time testing, retesting, and coding this operating system to work on a lot of other hardware, instead of building a great operating system.This is my personal opinion. Now, if it was released, I probably would end up buying it to play with. I simply don't think it would be wise for them to do it.My $0.02. Take it or leave it.... ;)Adam

Edited by LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

The links to copyright infringing websites, videos etc. have been removed from this topic.The topic has degraded to discussion of violating the law (as despicable as the DMCA is), and the Forum Rules specifically disallow that:

Copyrights, Illegal Material, and Links Offsite5. Do not ask for, offer to supply, or post links to, copies of commercial software, MP3s, movies, CD Keys, Product Keys, Serial Numbers, etc. or other intellectual property for which you do not hold the copyright. Do not ask for or post information about or link to anything unlawful. This includes but is not limited to copies of pirated commercial software, commercial music files, movies, and other intellectual property. Do not post any information, or link to any site that contains information, intended to violate the Terms of Service or End User License Agreement of any service, product, or application. Do not request or provide password hacks or cracks.
If discussion continues in this vein, the offending posts will be removed, and the topic closed.Thank you for your compliance to the Forum Rules and your understanding.

There's one thing a lot of people don't seem to understand. Apple is a hardware company that also happens to have a great OS. If they openly provide and support OS X on any hardware, they'd stop being a hardware company. Not gonna happen.(Edited slightly to conform to admin requests above)

Edited by Jeber

I can tell you this though....she was all smiles with her new Mac.
I hope that she didn't smile to wide and rip her lips. :blink: bob3160 is looking for people to champion his cause from the forums that I have been to. And every forum so far, has the same responce, which is no thanks buy a mac if you want OSX!

I hope that she didn't smile to wide and rip her lips. :blink: bob3160 is looking for people to champion his cause from the forums that I have been to. And every forum so far, has the same responce, which is no thanks buy a mac if you want OSX!
My simple reply:I already own 2 computers. One of them is quite capable of running OSX as evident in the video links I had posted but unfortunately some one decided that those links went against forum policy ???I'm quite willing to buy OSX but not another overpriced computer. Since Apple already gives away a program to run XP on their system, I'd like the same opportunity to run their OSX on my system.I'm not advocating piracy simply looking for equality. Edited by bob3160

I'm quite willing to buy OSX but not another overpriced computer. Since Apple already gives away a program to run XP on their system, I'd like the same opportunity to run their OSX on my system.I'm not advocating piracy simply looking for equality.
I understand what you are saying, Bob, but the simple matter of the fact is that the EULA for OSX prohibits you [legally] from running it on anything other than Apple hardware. Whether it can or not is not really the issue, since it does work. This post explains why the links were removed: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...st&p=200393Edit: Don't know why this link is not working..... but scroll up to post #15 for an explanation of why the links were removed.Adam

Guest LilBambi

I totally understand your frustration Bob. That very frustration is what prompted my boycotting of the music industry when they started putting limitations on what one could do with what they legally buy.Even though I now have a computer that could legally run OS X, looks like I won't be going there ... originally I thought I would still be able to use Open Darwin even though I couldn't use Aqua GUI. But that project is apparently shut down now:

OpenDarwin Shutting DownOpenDarwin was originally created with the goal of providing a development environment for building and developing Mac OS X sources as well as developing a standalone Darwin OS derivative. OpenDarwin was meant to be a development community and a proving ground for fixes and features for Mac OS X and Darwin, which could be picked up by Apple for inclusion in the canonical sources. OpenDarwin has failed to achieve its goals in 4 years of operation, and moves further from achieving these goals as time goes on. For this reason, OpenDarwin will be shutting down.Over the past few years, OpenDarwin has become a mere hosting facility for Mac OS X related projects. The original notions of developing the Mac OS X and Darwin sources has not panned out. Availability of sources, interaction with Apple representatives, difficulty building and tracking sources, and a lack of interest from the community have all contributed to this. Administering a system to host other people's projects is not what the remaining OpenDarwin contributors had signed up for and have been doing this thankless task far longer than they expected. It is time for OpenDarwin to go dark.Project admins for all active projects have been notified, and we will be working with them to provide as seamless a transition to their new homes as possible. We don't want to boot anyone off, we will be operating the machines as usual for several months, until everyone has had a chance to move elsewhere.We will continue to provide email and dns redirection after the machines go dark. We'll be looking at what other redirection services are needed and can be provided after hosting has ceased.The OpenDarwin team would like to thank everyone who did contribute to the project, and our apologies to active, loyal projects that have to move.Thanks,- OpenDarwin Core Team and Administrators
http://www.opendarwin.org/Oh, well, another one bites the dust...

Since Apple already gives away a program to run XP on their system, I'd like the same opportunity to run their OSX on my system.I'm not advocating piracy simply looking for equality.
Wrong assumption. Apple does not give away any program to run XP on their systems. If you would like, you may purchase bootcamp or parallels but Apple does not give away anything. Equlity is if you wnt XP then buy XP and if you want Mac then buy a Mac! If you want the look and feel of Mac then go download Linux! That is your free way to have the same look and feel. It is a bit more complicated to run since you have to instll it yourself but it gives you the same look and feel and access to the same open source programs. B)

Wrong assumption. Apple does not give away any program to run XP on their systems. If you would like, you may purchase bootcamp or parallels but Apple does not give away anything.
Actually, bootcamp is a freebie, albeit a beta version with no support. It will be included (and supported?) when they release Leopard, which will probably cost $129 like all the other "cat" releases.

bob3160 - Apple is not burger king! B) You can not have it your way!
I remember a time when we didn't have a burger king.It's because someone realized that there was a market for having it your way thatburger king was started.Is this any different? Mark my words, it will happen. The question is when. I want it sooner ratherthan later. :w00t: