Why I’m done with Chrome

sunrat

https://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2018/09/23/why-im-leaving-chrome/?ref=producthunt

This is not a brand new development, but the interwebz are still abuzz with dismay at Google's removal of the optional login to your Google account when using Chrome. It now can log you in automatically. Google responded quickly to the flood of complaints and introduced a toggle setting to disable automatic login shortly after the above article was written.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/26/17904762/google-chrome-sign-in-changes-feedback

It still brings into question what other hooks Chrome has and what you can do about it. I was prompted to investigate this by mention of Ungoogled Chrome browser in another forum. This claims to remove all Google hooks and add a number of other useful privacy features.

More details and Github downloads:- https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium

Community built binaries:- https://ungoogled-software.github.io/ungoogled-chromium-binaries/

V.T. Eric Layton

I used to like Chromium/Chrome. Unfortunately, for about 3 years now, no Chrome/Chromium will not build/run on my Slackware system. So, I haven't used Chrome for quite some time. I could probably get it to work if I'd upgrade to Slack 14.2, but I'm lazy and am still running 14.1. I'll eventually have to upgrade, I guess, because FF is now too old in ESR for 14.1. It doesn't handle HTML5 vids too well.

Linux seems to be running out of decent browsers nowadays. I can't use Opera because it's now based on Chrome. I still have Seamonkey on my system, but it's REALLY dated. Guess I'm going to be stuck with FF forever.

Chrome comes on android devices. I own three but one of the first things I do is install another browser. Fortunately two of the devices are Samsung and the Samsung browser is on the devices. It isn't a bad browser.

I do have Chrome portable https://portableapps.com/news/2018-09-13--google-chrome-portable-69.0.3497.92-released

on a USB stick because I needed to download something on a Windows computer and the only browser that the site would accept was chrome. I refuse to install it on any Windows computers.

This is for Eric

https://www.slant.co/topics/4281/~web-browsers-for-linux

perhaps you'll find something in that list.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. Familiar with all those browsers. Sadly, none have the features of Firefox. I would miss my addons and extensions terribly. I've gotten use to them over the years. At least with Chrome/Chromium, I was able to find replacements for my favorite FF addons/extensions. Most of those other browsers offer nothing even close. Also, I can't use Opera or Vivaldi because they're based on Chrome/Chromium. I cannot build/compile anything on my Slack 14.1 that is Chrome/Chromium based. It will not run at all on my system. This is the reason I had to give up Chromium a few years ago.

I'm stuck with an old, obsolete FF and Seamonkey these days. :(

I have ran Slackware64-current since the first day it became available, so I am familiar with frequent build/compile problems. These are generally cleared up in days. Actually, I have a clean install of Slackware64-current in VBox. I do all builds there anymore, along with upgrades. Easier to fix VBox, or blow it away if I really screw it up. Also, there are two partitions on my 2tb drive with Slackware64-current. One is the old one that I keep until time for a clean install. Then I just copy over stuff I need from personal folders in Home. I've only done a clean install once in the last seven years.

You are not stuck with anything. Take the plunge. :)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. This current 14.1/64 Slack that's on this system was a fresh install from when I built the system back in '13. Originally, I installed 14.2, but removed it because ALSA was no longer used (PulseAudio nowadays). I much prefer ALSA. I'll have to upgrade eventually. I'm just not up to it right now. Even though initial install is relatively easy, the additional SlackBuilds and customizing takes me days to accomplish afterwards. In my younger days, I'd stay up 24 hours or so with lots of coffee and get it all done and debugged. Nowadays, I'm too old for that schit.

I'm waiting for Slack 15. ;)

I remember when alsa first hit the scene. I continued to use oss until there was simply no other choice. I didn't even quiver over it this time. Not being a true audiophile, there is absolutely no reason to to fret over the change. However, current does have an alsa only solution.

I had to install Chrome yesterday as I couldn't get a vital Tampermonkey script which I use for Ingress to function properly in Chromium. I used the script successfully in Chromium a couple of months ago. Different versions of both. I hate it when that happens. :'(

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
securitybreach

So I see mention of "chrome/chromium" but they are not the same. Chromium is the opensource browser that Google bases Chrome off of.

Chromium also lacks the usage-tracking or “user metrics” feature found in Chrome. This is an optional feature that sends information about how you use the different parts of the browser to Google, giving them data they can use to base decisions on. ...

https://www.howtogeek.com/202825/what%E2%80%99s-the-difference-between-chromium-and-chrome/

I should have updated my last post to say I have got the Tampermonkey script working in Chromium again. The script relies on writing and reading third party cookies which Chromium blocks by default but Chrome doesn't. Exceptions can be defined in Chromium so I did that and voila! working. :)

The main problem was Chromium is better than Chrome!

Interesting article but I'm sure it misses a few differences, including the third party cookie setting.

i use several browsers: Brave , PaleMoon and Chromium. The Chromium is quite old in computer years, they stopped updating binaries awhile ago. But it still works with the extensions i want.

I would use PaleMoon much more but it doesn't support VPN add-ons and only supports ad-blockers i am not thrilled about.

Brave is basically fine, but want to see how it does long term.

securitybreach

The Chromium is quite old in computer years, they stopped updating binaries awhile ago. But it still works with the extensions i want.

Huh??? Chromium is updated all the time, amidst as much as Chrome is.

The last release was four days ago.

• Like 1

securitybreach

Tell me more about this Brave browser. What engine is it using? Chromium? Chrome? Gecko?

Brave is a free and open-source web browser developed by Brave Software Inc. based on the Chromium web browser. The browser blocks ads and website trackers. In a future version of the browser, the company intends to adopt a pay-to-surf business model...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_(web_browser)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Ah... that's what I was curious about. If it's based on Chromium, I won't be able to get it to work on my current version of Slackware. :( We'll see what happens when I finally get around to upgrading my OS.

I tried Brave and Vivaldi, both Chromium based, and failed to see any advantage over running Chromium with uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger. There is the disadvantage of not being in distro repos so they don't get updated with normal upgrades.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
V.T. Eric Layton

When the day comes that I cannot block any and ALL ads while surfing the Internets, I will be finished with computers/Internet for good.

Next thing you know, new TVs will disallow your ability to mute or change channels during a commercial break. HA! I can see that coming. I'll be done with TV then, also... except for maybe PBS.

When the day comes that I cannot block any and ALL ads while surfing the Internets, I will be finished with computers/Internet for good.

Next thing you know, new TVs will disallow your ability to mute or change channels during a commercial break. HA! I can see that coming. I'll be done with TV then, also... except for maybe PBS.

You won't be able to turn off the tv during pledge drives fundraising slots.

V.T. Eric Layton

I rarely watch PBS during the two months a year beg drives. Some of the programs they show during that time are OK; most are not anything I'd be interested in, though. I read more during beg months. ;)

securitybreach

TV? Oh, you mean that screen that I stream local content to and play games on? I have not seen cable tv in over a decade..

V.T. Eric Layton
I have not seen cable tv in over a decade.

I have you beat. I haven't had cable TV in my house since '99. I have an outside antenna on my house (ol' skool) and pick up quite a few good over-the-air channels. Most of them are what my buddy Gary and I used to call "old fart channels". They're all 1940s B&W movies, 1950-60s western movies and TV series, etc. I love 'em. I'm reliving my childhood watching Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Big Valley, Rawhide, Laramie, etc. every day. ;) There are also some "binge" channels that show old cable programs like The Division, Nash Bridges, Columbo, In the Heat of the Night, The Closer, etc. There are also some silly channels that I don't watch too often with comedies like Hogan's Heroes, Andy Griffith Show, Gomer Pyle, crap like that.

All good... and ALL FREE! :)

I actually receive nearly 70 channels over-the-air in my area. Neato, huh?

• Like 1