crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 01:55 AM

blocking ad-blocking returns -
https://9to5google.c...se-manifest-v3/

(and yes, i consider this a security matter as well as networking. ask me why.)
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,616 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:15 AM

Another reason to use Firefox
Posted ImagePosted Image
Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,730 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:32 AM

View Postcrp, on 30 May 2019 - 01:55 AM, said:

I'll bite . :breakfast:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:11 AM

View Postabarbarian, on 30 May 2019 - 05:32 AM, said:

View Postcrp, on 30 May 2019 - 01:55 AM, said:

I'll bite . :breakfast:
At work we got infected by a ransomware that got in via malware ad from a normal web site. The malware delivered the package in 2 steps, first a stub and then later a signal to "call home" to get rest of package and start infecting.
After installing a lot of ad blockers I noticed that network traffic decreased by 20%, something I confirmed with my own home setup.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#5 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,616 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:23 AM

No big surprise there. I couldn't imagine trying to surf without adblockers.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#6 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,222 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:09 AM

I couldn't imagine trying to surf without adblockers
Me either!

The other day I happened to look at my uBlockOrigin count (Win 7 Home 32 bit desktop) and just reading my Yahoo email, over 100 ads were blocked.
On a small device (7" tablet or 5" phone screen) any ad could be accidentally tapped and send me somewhere I don't wish to go. One of the first things I do on android is install two or more other browsers to try.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users