abarbarian

abarbarian

I got a new toy which takes RAW files which I have never used so I am looking for first hand views on any programs that can view and manipulate such files.

Ideally the program needs to view folders full of files quickly and be fairly easy for a beginner to use. I don't mind having two programs. A fast viewer and a slower full feature manipulator.

I'm using Darktable at the moment which seems pretty reasonable but it has frozen twice already. I have only viewed files so far with it.

http://www.darktable.org/

First hand views gratefully accepted.

:shifty:

DigiKam is the best photo viewer/editor I have ever used. It can handle RAW images.

Here is a nice writeup by Carla Schroder - https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/436653-raw-magic-in-digikam-understanding-raw-photo-settings . The article is a couple of years old and she uses DigiKam 1.2; I currently have version 2.6 installed.

I admit I haven't used it with RAW though, I don't have a nice camera. :(

Thanks folks.

I'll give Rawstudio a whirl. I had read about it but the article said it was a tad beginner unfriendly which is why I chose Darktable.

DigiKam would have been my first choice apart from the fact I would have to install KDE-base which is a lot of bloat just for one program. I'm trying to stay lean and mean at the moment. I may give it a try latter in the year though.

:breakfast:

I tried out very quickly,

Photivo -- did not install in Arch - gave up

UFRaw -- a bit too complicated looking for me at this time - I could not work out how to zoom in even.

Darktable - mentioned above - would have been my choice but it froze a couple of times.

Rawstudio - not bad at all - I am using it for the moment -- Why do the pictures look so dark when viewing ? - I'll post some screenshots showing this later.

DigiKam -- You want me to install how many MB -- Total Download Size: 137.86 MiB Total Installed Size: 522.00 MiB -- I'll have to have a read hard think about that.

B)

DigiKam -- You want me to install how many MB -- Total Download Size: 137.86 MiB Total Installed Size: 522.00 MiB -- I'll have to have a read hard think about that.

It's a KDE program so depends on a few KDE libraries etc. Just run KDE, you know you want to! :shifty: ;) :D

Guest LilBambi

Or not. Everyone has their own mind on GUIs. However, as much as I don't care for Gnome, I still have it installed because I love a lot of Gnome apps. I just run them in KDE. :yes: