What's in a (screen) name?

GolfProRM

A lot of people have mentioned the story behind their screennames, but there hasn't been a thread dedicated to it, so thought I'd start one :)My screenname stems from my love of golf, but I'm not actually a Golf Pro... A friend of mine got a label maker in high school and she started going around putting labels on everything... she stuck one in my car on my dash that said "Golfpro"... It's just stuck with me I guess since then... I added the RM (initials) to make it my own, and to this day, have never run into a conflict with that username on a website! :lol:

Mine is too easy. It is what I do! Since this is currently my only forum, it hasn't been a problem. Although, if you look in the job thread you will see we have a lot of teachers at both secondary and post-secondary levels here. I thought about some of the other things I am called:

• beach bum
  • fro-do woman
  • mean
  • crazy
  • funny
  • goofy
  • and a ditz

but teacher just seemed to fit better. Now that I have been here a while, I am afraid what others would pick for me.Great thread idea! :

twistedcranium

I dreamt up my nickname/screen-name/handle/moniker of online presence during a slumber induced by a fall one evening. I was standing on the toilet seat, hanging ornamental lighting in the bathroom to spruce the place up a bit. Lightning struck the clock tower in the church next door, it startled me, I fell and hit my head on a porcelain sink bowl.......oh nevermind, maybe I just saw that in a movie.LOL

Many moons ago, in Dragon magazine, there was a character in one of the serial cartoons whose name was Boredflak the Wizard. One of the things I liked about him was that his wand of magic missiles was a "Tommy Gun." When I was thinking about a name for tech forums and other forums I was joining, I decided to use that, but alter it to reflect my fondness for chess. My official explanation elsewhere is that "Board Flak is the best defense against arial Chess pieces." My original choice of avatar was a chessboard image I'd made, but I made my current one by enlarging a White Knight out of a chess font, touching it up a bit, and putting the circle behind it. I liked it a little better than the chessboard so I am using it unless or until my mood changes again.

Long story.I started as a Zorro, my favorite character and to be more unique and as short as possible I got me new name Zox.Short and not that often as Zorro :D

SonicDragon
easy one. my current car of choice (see avatar) and my birth year, year of Dragon. 
your not the only dragon here :D
My wife and I vacationed in Acadia National Park six years ago and completely fell in love with the Mount Desert Island region of Maine. We hope and pray that we can retire there someday.
I love Acadia. I spent a weekend up there hiking once (not enough time at all) and it was so beautiful. I would love to go back there again. Anyway, i got my name from my web site. It was sort of a random name, based on music and sound (sonic) and dragons. The other handle i use is eniver, which is short for ebony 'n' ivery :)

Guest LilBambi

Well, to start we have to go back to a drive-in movie theatre at the Jersey Shore when I was oh, about 8-10 yrs old. It was the first time I'd every been to a drive-in.My parents took the four* of us to the drive in to see the Disney movie, Bambi. It was my first HUGE screen movie and I fell in love with the story.Later I used Bambi as my CB 'handle' when my father introduced me to the Citizen's Band radio. I have since given that up with all the Linears and echo boxes stomping all over everyone, not to mention the bad language. Don't the FCC monitor that at all anymore! Oh, well another medium trashed and an era gone.Then I carried through with that handle/nick in the early Delphi/Genie days of IRC.When the Internet became really big, it soon became apparent that too many folks were vying for the handle Bambi in IRC so I got frustrated with not being able to use my nick/handle and changed it to LilBambi because it was close to my Bambi nick/handle but nobody ever stole it! :D* four children at that time, later to be six.

Grasshopper

I like Ford Thunderbirds. I own a 1997 and a 1968.Unfortunately, I'm trying to sell the 68 (anyone interested?), so when that happens...I'll still keep my screen name. If I were rich I'd still have both cars.

jbredmound

We started with something like, "John and Becky at Redmound (Wisconsin), and just played away until we got here. Don't confuse us with bmredmond...we would be mad.

Absorbine_Sr

Absorbine Jr. is a sore muscle linamint (sp). On a long ago episode of Mystery Science Theatre 3000 Joel and the 'bots were making up names of Superheros, and one was "The awesome power of Absorbine Sr." It always struck me as funny so I just blatantly ripped it off.A_Sr.

We started with something like, "John and Becky at Redmound (Wisconsin), and just played away until we got here. Don't confuse us with bmredmond...we would be mad.
Jeber where are you How did you miss this one? Do we have a split personality here: We :) Seriously, J & B, I sure guessed your name wrong, figured it was your initials and last name!

When we retired and moved to TN (volunteer state) people (read wife, friends, relatives, strangers) believe that I have too much free time. I'm asked to volunteer for so many things, I decided it must be my nickname. :) I usually volunteer but I do go out of my way to avoid known hazards. :ph34r:Ken

Mine seems easy to guess how I got it but when people try they're usually off the mark...Hawkfan = Fan of Chicago Blackhawks hockey teamUsual guesses: Seattle Seahawks, Atlanta Hawks, Kansas Jayhawks