*Carpal Tunnel Onset Accelerator*

brucekrymow

Too late -- I had arthroscopic (???) surgery to fix both wrists several years ago. No more carpal tunnel syndrome for me! :(
CB,Glad to hear all is OK. Have a friend who had it done on both hands about ten years ago - he now has to have a repeat operation - said he didn't keep up with the exercises. :(

Guest ComputerBob
....Have a friend who had it done on both hands about ten years ago - he now has to have a repeat operation - said he didn't keep up with the exercises.  :blink:
That's so sad. I've heard many sad stories like that from people who had the traditional cut-from-the-wrist-across-the-base-of-the-thumb CT surgery. In my case, I waited until my HMO had one surgeon who knew how to do the arthroscopic surgery. He made a tiny (one stitch) incision in each wrist, and went in with a tiny camera and scalpel to snip the rubber band-like cartilidge (???) that went around each of my wrists. That allowing each of them to snap open, which released the pressure on the nerves within. Nine days later, I played my 12-string guitar for 2 hours straight. Before the surgery, I often had to stop playing and "shake out" my aching left hand after playing only two or three songs! No one ever told me anything about doing exercises, so I've never done any, and I've been just fine since the surgery (which I think was 7-9 years ago). In my case, the decision to have the surgery turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made.

LOL got to love how some people have too much time to create sites like that. Comic relief is good and I hope I never get into that situation - surgeries are no fun.

A surgery is not a surgery is not a surgery. Look in your HMO book under anesthesiaologists; look for Dr. Feelgood.With the good Dr. on your side, you may have pain, but you won't care. :D Additionally, he can give you that "Elvis look" in 6 mos to a year.

....Have a friend who had it done on both hands about ten years ago - he now has to have a repeat operation - said he didn't keep up with the exercises.  :D
That's so sad. I've heard many sad stories like that from people who had the traditional cut-from-the-wrist-across-the-base-of-the-thumb CT surgery. In my case, I waited until my HMO had one surgeon who knew how to do the arthroscopic surgery. He made a tiny (one stitch) incision in each wrist, and went in with a tiny camera and scalpel to snip the rubber band-like cartilidge (???) that went around each of my wrists. That allowing each of them to snap open, which released the pressure on the nerves within. Nine days later, I played my 12-string guitar for 2 hours straight. Before the surgery, I often had to stop playing and "shake out" my aching left hand after playing only two or three songs! No one ever told me anything about doing exercises, so I've never done any, and I've been just fine since the surgery (which I think was 7-9 years ago). In my case, the decision to have the surgery turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made.
Thanks for the info; never knew arthroscopic's were available. Had arthroscopic knee surgery some years back, but my friend and my wife's CTS operations were the "barbaric" type (slice open the whole hand); what do I expect from the O.V. :o

Guest ComputerBob
Thanks for the info; never knew arthroscopic's were available. Had arthroscopic knee surgery some years back, but my friend and my wife's CTS operations were the "barbaric" type (slice open the whole hand); what do I expect from the O.V. B)
You're welcome! If anyone you know ends up looking for someone to do arthroscopic CTS surgery, they might also want to know that my doctor said that some surgeons use a laser to cut the band of cartilage around the wrist, but the heat of the laser seemed to cause some damage to surrounding tissues, so he did my surgery with a tiny scalpel instead of a laser. B)

Guest ComputerBob
The sound of all of those surgerys gives me the heebee-jebers.  :P  :P  :huh:  ;)
:P Hey, where is Jeber, anyway? Seems like he would've joined this topic by now. :D

Guest genaldar

Rant below:Carpal tunnel is a pet peeve of mine. I have it in my wrists but I've never gotten it treated. Its a little "old fashioned" and I'll come off sounding like a jerk, but I think carpal is a joke. My parents grew up on farms and did actual physical labor. I know people who have worked in mines. They have the right to complain. Most people have it too easy now. Our ancestors had to deal with hard physical labor day in and day out. We are blessed with 40 hour work weeks sitting down and we still find things to complain about. I think if the worst thing that can be caused by your job is a spreading ass and sore wrists you should count your blessings. Because lets face it 80% of the worlds population is still doing that day to day back breaking labor.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but jumping to conclusions is not always wise. I had surgery on both wrists. Did I get it from computing? No. What triggered it was carrying overflowing mail crates upstairs every day (similar in size and weight to when I lugged 50 pound bags of seed to load the planter as I went around the fields). If you reach the point where you have no feeling in your hands then it is time to deal with it. Like most diseases, illnesses, etc., there are varying degrees of symptoms. What is mild with one person is severe for another. That is why they run tests to determine the severity of problem before they do surgery.You are right, however, in that we should all count our blessings for the health we do enjoy. :)

Guest ComputerBob
....and I'll come off sounding like a jerk, but I think carpal is a joke....
You have a right to think whatever you want, but you're wrong about it being a joke. My carpal tunnel problems were caused by being assaulted, and when the assailant threw me to the ground, I tried to break my fall with my hands. As a result, a few years after the assault, I was unable to mow the lawn, because both of my arms would go to sleep within 3 minutes of pushing the mower. My left hand would go to sleep just sitting at the dinner table.I've worked jobs that involved hard physical labor, but none of them caused me any problems.Please educate yourself before you start judging others. :)

jbredmound

Actually, most carpal tunnel cases are not caused by trauma (ala CB) or heavy lifting (ala Teacher); carpel tunnel is a "repetitive motion injury", which means it is caused by doing the same thing over and over again, in the same position.Farmers, traditional assembly line workers...in fact, most workers in the pre-information age, did not have to worry about carpel tunnel, as they were moving about. Example; a worker on a traditional Assembly line, standing at their station, might be doing the same thing over and over, but they would shuffle their feet, turn left and right, and each movement would change their position, and the workload on specific tendons and muscles.Today, as we get those "wide rears", our movements may be limited to the dimensions of our mouse pads and keyboards.I have seen many people, in denial of carpel tunnel syndrome, reach the point where they had difficulty feeding themselves before they sought help. I have seen many cases where the sufferer's hand were nearly useless."I will not repeat Webshots...I will not repeat Webshots..." but I don't "suffer fools" well.

carpel tunnel is a "repetitive motion injury", which means it is caused by doing the same thing over and over again, in the same position.
So I could go blind AND get carpel tunnel???

carpel tunnel is a "repetitive motion injury", which means it is caused by doing the same thing over and over again, in the same position.
LOL! ;) :lol: ;)

GolfProRM
Stryder - That's TOO FUNNY!!! ;) ;) I'd have dealt with going blind, but I think the Carpal Tunnel syndrome is enough reason to stop :lol:

Actually, most carpal tunnel cases are not caused by trauma (ala CB) or heavy lifting (ala Teacher); carpel tunnel is a "repetitive motion injury", which means it is caused by doing the same thing over and over again, in the same position.

Guest genaldar

I didn't mean anything personal by my post. I know there are exceptions, but for the most part carpal is caused by repetative movements, like working with a computer. cb, teacher, sorry if you feel I made light of your individual cases (especially yours cb).

jbredmound

"The family that knits together will wind up needling each other." Get the point? You goota be sharp! This was a "perl of wisdom."

• 2 weeks later...
A surgery is not a surgery is not a surgery. Look in your HMO book under anesthesiaologists; look for Dr. Feelgood.With the good Dr. on your side, you may have pain, but you won't care.  :lol: Additionally, he can give you that "Elvis look" in 6 mos to a year.
Ya nothing compairs to what Dr. Feelgood can give ya.I recommend it for any medical proceedure. My wife even get's gas when she has her 6 month cleaning.Chris