Firefox 0.8

bjf123

I've installed the new Firefox 0.8 on my iMac running Jaguar. For some reason, I can't get to this forum in it. If I click on my bookmark, or manually enter the address, I just get a blank page. I can visit www.scotsnewsletter.com with no trouble, but clicking on the forum link there also gets me a blank page. I've tried emptying the cache, too. Any ideas? Oh, yeah. I'm posting this in Safari.

Installing FirefoxOnce you have downloaded a Firefox installer or compressed archive, follow these instructions to install:First, if you are running an old version of Firebird or Phoenix, visit the Extensions panel in Tools, Options and disable all of your extensions. If you cannot disable extensions, you must create a new profile before upgrading to Firefox 0.8. If you do not do this, your browser may not work, and you may receive messages like "Cannot create XBL Binding for Browser" or "Cannot create Browser Instance". You must now look for newer versions of your extensions that are described explicitly as being compatible with Firefox 0.8.
I mainly use Safari, but I also use Firebird when sites don't load or to check out my sites to make sure they look right.Now, I just downloaded Firefox and ran it... I didn't have any problems accessing the forum or any of my usual sites. It even found my previous preferences from the Firebird install.Since I'm not running Jaguar I can't test this out, but this might be the cause of your problem bjf123:First I would try to remove all the cookies : b]Firefox > Preferances > Privacy > Cookies > Stored Cookies > Remove All Cookies[/b]If that doesn't help continue...Make sure you make a backup of the folder before you proceed. If you do this you will loose all your bookmarks, cookies, and settings. You may want to export your bookmarks also, before you proceed.
Mac OS XOpen the Library folder in your Home folder, and remove the Phoenix folder. (~/Library/Phoenix/).
It may not appear as "Phoenix" but as "Mozilla."Also of note: I have "forums.scotsnewsletter.com" listed under Firefox > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies > Exceptions... > Site > forums.scotsnewsletter.com > Status > Allow

I didn't try removing the Library folder. I have both a Mozilla and a Phoenix folder. I did remove all cookies and emptied the cache. I still get a blank page when I try to access the forums. Strange.

Is it possible that you clicked on a link on Scot's website that maybe has the old Forum address?Just a thought...(Current forum address is http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com )
Nope. I've tried clicking on the link on his home page. I've tried manually entering the address. I've tried the bookmark that I have. Same thing for all of them, a blank page. Maybe I'll try completely removing the program and reinstalling it.

* Backup first. *Did you delete the Phoenix and Mozilla folders?

Mac OS XOpen the Library folder in your Home folder, and remove the Phoenix folder. (~/Library/Phoenix/).

Have you tried the Latest Nightly?Also, is the bug present in the latest nightly of Mozilla? I'm stumped as I don't have a Mac, but I know that development for the Mac is usually behind. After the 0.7 release (of Firebird of course) a 0.7.1 Mac OS X only release came out. Maybe we'll see a new one of those? The 1.0 release for Mac is also scheduled about a month after the 1.0 release for everyone else.Maybe you are having an extension/theme conflict....have you tried in a clean profile, no customizing/extensions/themes at all? Or was your new profile one with extensions/themes?

I haven't tried the latest nightly build of Firefox. I still can access this forum using Firebird 0.7, but when I try Firefox 0.8, I only get a blank page. I've tried completely removing Firefox and reinstalling it. Same thing, a blank page. I don't have any themes or extentions installed. I'm stumped. Maybe I'll try making a new profile, but it will have to be tomorrow or Wednesday night.

I haven't tried the latest nightly build of Firefox.  I still can access this forum using Firebird 0.7, but when I try Firefox 0.8, I only get a blank page.  I've tried completely removing Firefox and reinstalling it.  Same thing, a blank page.  I don't have any themes or extentions installed.  I'm stumped.  Maybe I'll try making a new profile, but it will have to be tomorrow or Wednesday night.
Is that "Library" (again don't use a Mac, so I have no idea ;) ) where the profile is stored? If its not thenYou haven't created a new profile yet?Profiles are nearly always the cause of erratic behavior. Also, installing Firefox overtop of an existing install is bad. New installs should always always always be in an empty directory.(By the way, if you have created a new profile, then you can ignore the above; if you haven't, shame on you!)

You haven't created a new profile yet?
I can't remember ever creating any profiles for any browser I've ever used, so it never entered my mind. I'll give it a shot tonight or tomorrow night.

There's no way for me to create profile in Firefox. According to their web site, you get that option by running Firefox from a command line with the -p flag. I'm not sure how to do that on my Mac. I'm sure it's in a terminal window, but I'm not sure of the syntax to get it to run.[edit]I had someone in another forum give me the syntax to start Firefox with the -p flag. I created a new profile, but still can't get this forum to appear. It's just a blank page.[/edit]

The syntax was: /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -pThis assumes that Firefox is in the Applications folder, which it is. I'll try your forums when I get home tonight.

Can you test this out... I want you to visit my forum.  There are two different URLS so try both.  See if they show correctly, I have an idea but wont know until you report back saying if mine worked..
Sorry, neither one works. I get a blank page on both of them. Both do work when I try them in Safari.

I know it sounds like a ridiculous amount of time to spend, but could you try something?Remove all traces of firefox (and mozilla if you have it). Be sure to delete the profiles too. Once its all gone, then install it again with a new profile (actually it would do that itself). If you still have a problem, then I don't think its on your end.Also, it might be a problem with the build you are using, you could try the latest nightly (actually its from the 18th; all nightlies after have a crash on startup problem on Mac). If you still have a problem, then...I am at a loss.

Remove all traces of firefox (and mozilla if you have it). Be sure to delete the profiles too. Once its all gone, then install it again with a new profile (actually it would do that itself). If you still have a problem, then I don't think its on your end.
Been there, done that! I've already tried deleting the firefox program and both the mozilla and phoenix prefs files. I then downloaded the program again and reinstalled it. Same result. I have not tried it yet with one of the nightly builds.