New monitor/video ports question

securitybreach

securitybreach

So I posted this a few days ago on http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4308712 and was wondering if anyone here has any input:

I have a HIS Radeon HD 6790 1 GB GDDR5 video card running the Catalyst driver under Archlinux.

I currently have 3 monitors attached to my card using 2 of the DVI ports and one Active DisplayPort which leaves the HDMI port open. I am planning on buying a hdmi LCD monitor and I read conflicting reviews of AMD cards that basically say one of the DVI ports uses the same controller of the hdmi port.

Upper Single-link DVI-D

Bottom Dual-link DVI-I

http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-640.shtml

I am basically just wondering if it is possible to use both the DVI ports, the displayport and the HDMI port at the same time with the version of card I have?

╔═ comhack@Cerberus 02:35 PM 
╚═══ ~-> pacman -Qi catalyst-total | grep Version
Version        : 12.4-1

╔═ comhack@Cerberus 02:35 PM 
╚═══ ~-> lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Barts LE [AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series]

The specs for my video card show:

AMD Eyefinity multi-display technology1

Native support for up to 4 simultaneous displays

Up to 6 displays supported with DisplayPort 1.2 Multi-Stream Transport

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6790/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6790-overview.aspx#3

So after reading the comments which were nothing really about my card and I think the commentors were a bit confused as well. The way I understood it was that one of my dvi ports share something with my hdmi port so I figured something like this would work:

Would something like this work? StarTech.com 8-Inch LFH 59 Male to Dual Female DVI I DMS 59 Cable

I was thinking that I could have two dvi monitors connected to the splitter that act as one large display. That way I could have 4 monitors attatched.

So if that will work, I plan on using:

--the dual link dvi connected to two dvi monitors that act as one big monitor

--my other monitor connected to the displayport

--the fourth monitor connected to hdmi port

Would that scenario work?

I would appreciate if you all would read the original thread with the comments and let me know your input.

Thanks a lot

Guest LilBambi

So, none of them really addressed that you don't want to use the Display Port but want to use the HDMI only due to the type of monitor you are getting?

securitybreach

So, none of them really addressed that you don't want to use the Display Port but want to use the HDMI only due to the type of monitor you are getting?

Well I only have the one hdmi port open. I already use the display port for my third monitor (active dp adapter to dvi)

My card has:

1 Single-link DVI-D = monitor1 dvi

1 Dual-link DVI-I = monitor2 dvi

1 Display Port = monitor3 dvi with adapter

1 HDMI = new monitor

My current setup works, so I was planning on connecting the fourth monitor to the open hdmi port (it has dvi but would rather connect via hdmi plus that port is unused).

securitybreach

maybe a dvi-hdmi adapter would help

Thanks for the suggestion but I do not think that would help, as I am trying to use the hdmi port and I do not have an open dvi port. That and I would lose the features and speed of hdmi.

I think I will just be buying a second cheap ATI card for the fourth monitor to replace the second dvi monitor (which will be used by the hdmi port). I found a ASUS EAH6450 Radeon HD 6450 1gb for $44 at newegg. I figured that I would spend $30-40 for an adapter of some sorts, plus I could install a 5th monitor later on down the road if I wanted. B)

They have various dvi-hdmi adapters , should be able to find one that goes from your card's hdmi to your monitor's dvi and I really don't think you would notice the difference.

I am suprised that you have an extra video card ready slot.

securitybreach

They have various dvi-hdmi adapters , should be able to find one that goes from your card's hdmi to your monitor's dvi and I really don't think you would notice the difference.

I am suprised that you have an extra video card ready slot.

Well I have an open pci-e slot for an additional video card:

2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single at x16 or dual at x8 / x8 mode)

2 x PCIe 2.0 x 1(5GT/s, blue slots)

1 x PCIe 2.0 x 1(2.5GT/s,gray slot)

2 x PCI

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/P7P55DE_PRO/#specifications

abarbarian

Shame you are so far away. I have a HD 4850 a HD 4670 and a X1950 Pro al kindly treated and looking for good homes :teehee:

securitybreach

Shame you are so far away. I have a HD 4850 a HD 4670 and a X1950 Pro al kindly treated and looking for good homes :teehee:

Well there is always the mail although I will be making my purchases Tuesday night and should have my new toys by Friday or so. Thanks anyway

securitybreach

Well I ended up not having as much extra money as I thought so I ended up getting a ViewSonic VX2453mh-LED 24" Class Flat Panel

Anyway, I have to wait to next payday to get the other ati card but for now here is my setup:

709eb7190305136.jpg

(The middle one is the new monitor)

Once I get the extra ati card, I will put another 22" monitor on the top middle of the monitor stand. Also, they are angled down more than it looks like. I just barely glance up and the monitors are right above eye level.

Guest LilBambi

Looks nice Josh! :thumbsup:

Bet you are chomping at the bit to get that other video card in there and your 4th monitor in place! ;)

securitybreach

Looks nice Josh! :thumbsup:

Bet you are chomping at the bit to get that other video card in there and your 4th monitor in place! ;)

Thanks a lot and yes, I cannot wait till I get the other card although I am really enjoying the new monitor!!!! :thumbup:

V.T. Eric Layton

Nice. I just don't have enough eyes for all those monitors, though. ;)

Off-topic: Are you a connoisseur of Zippo lighters, Mr. Josh?

securitybreach

I enjoy them but I only currently have the one B)

V.T. Eric Layton

I enjoy them but I only currently have the one B)

Only one? Hmm... something tells me that situation could change for you soon. ;)

securitybreach

Only one? Hmm... something tells me that situation could change for you soon. ;)

Now you have me curious B)

V.T. Eric Layton

Zippos are like Lay's potato chips... you can't have just one. Keep an eye on your mail box. :yes:

securitybreach

Zippos are like Lay's potato chips... you can't have just one. Keep an eye on your mail box. :yes:

Sweet!!!! I think you have the correct addy, I will send it via email.

Thanks a lot!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LilBambi

I hear ya about Bruno! Sure miss him!!

I assume you have tried re-arranging what monitors are connected to what connections (the three that work)? Meaning, have removed one of the existing three and substituted the fourth on the new card? Still using three.

Is it having trouble with the new card? Is it just not liking the new card with a specific a specific monitor, or the new monitor on a specific type of connection? Etc...

securitybreach

The problem is not the monitor, the issue is that the second card is labeled as UNKNOWN by the Catalyst Control Center(proprietary driver) even though lspci identifies it correctly. I also tried using the open source radeon driver but I cannot even get X to start correctly (on the three monitors) when using xf86-ati-driver.

Guest LilBambi

Have you tried removing your older ATI card and seeing if you can get the catalyst driver working with the newer ATI card?

Just for diagnostics purposes.

securitybreach

The proprietary Catalyst driver lets you set up your display via a gui tool similar to nvidia-settings. After choosing your options, you hit apply and generates an xorg.conf. The problem with that situation is that the second card is labeled as UNKNOWN so you cannot configure the monitor. It only gives one option: 640x480 with Seprate X

When you click apply, it says to reboot to apply. After rebooting, it is like nothing has changed.

Have you tried removing your older ATI card and seeing if you can get the catalyst driver working with the newer ATI card?

Just for diagnostics purposes.

No I have not but it works in Windows so it is not the hardware. I will try that today but I have to first get X back in working order (stopped with the OSS driver without X) .