Windows Updates: Batch Installation

Redbreast

Sometimes the only sensible solution for a poorly computer is to reformat (or replace) the primary hard disk and reinstall Windows.I have downloaded all patches and updates from MS for its various flavours of Windows, but it is time-consuming and tedious to install them all manually.What's more my understanding is that for Windows 9x/Me it is imperative that all reboots be observed individually, whereas for Win2K/XP it is OK to omit them between patches but do one at the end.Does anyone know of a batch routine that for Win9x/Me runs all the patches sequentially including reboots where required; and for Win2K/XP does the same but without the reboots?

I've half-answered my own question!For Windows 2000 and Windows XP the answer is here:How to Install Multiple Windows Updates or Hotfixes with Only One Reboothttp://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296861Basically Win2K SP3 and WinXP include the ability to chain updates, while for Win2K pre-SP3 the utility QCHAIN.EXE is required. Full instructions for creating batch files are included in the site above.But for Win9x/WinMe ..........I'll have to keep looking