SkyDrive Security

Corrine

When I wrote a blog post about Mesh being retired and moving to SkyDrive, someone asked a question about security of sensitive files in the comments. I reconsidered my original reply as short-sighted and followed up with this article on SkyDrive Security. Whether you use SkyDrive or another cloud-based system, it would be advisable to encrypt sensitive files when backing them up to or storing in cloud services.

• Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

I'd love to be able to use my SkyDrive for some stuff. Unfortunately, it requires installation of software... no-can-do on Linux. :( MS should make SkyDrive more like Google's and Dropbox, where a Linux (and Mac) version of the software is available. Although, that would be hard to do with SkyDrive. It uses SilverLight, doesn't it?

Whether you use SkyDrive or another cloud-based system, it would be advisable to encrypt sensitive files when backing them up to or storing in cloud services.

FOR SURE! FOR SURE! FOR SURE! :yes:

According to this TechCrunch article, not any longer -- Windows SkyDrive Says Sayonara To Silverlight, Embraces HTML5 | TechCrunch.

SkyDrive does work with Mac, although it requires Mac OS X Lion. It isn't supported on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or earlier versions of the Mac OS. It also works on mobile devices, Windows Phone, iPhone and iPad and Android.

SkyDrive for Mac: https://apps.live.com/skydrive/app/f644a8ef-9f98-4d1b-a3d2-eab969b0fd44

SkyDrive for Mobile devices: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/skydrive/mobile

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... well, without the need for SilverLight, MS might just be nice enough to put out a Linux version eventually. That would be COOL! :yes:

Guest LilBambi

That's great that it works with Lion now. With HTML5, any modern Windows, Mac or Linux OS should be able to use it.

Edited by LilBambi

A bit OT but the silverlight comment got me thinking. I wonder if Netflix streaming will drop the Silverlight requirement. I installed it on two computers but when Netflix raised the price from $11 something for mail and streaming to $16 something for both, I dropped streaming and stuck to mail only. I then used Revo to remove Silverlight from one of the computers. The less I have on, the less I have to patch and update.

Guest LilBambi

Good plan Liz. I hope there will soon be less and less plugins all together with HTML5 and its own brand of insecurity...sigh...