3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 01:48 PM

What is the best way to migrate Debian 7 Wheezy from a spinning harddrive to an SSD?
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,266 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:07 PM

Just use clonezilla. It works very well. https://www.techrada...with-clonezilla

I clone my drive once a month as a backup. You just need a partition/drive that is at least as big as the drive that you are cloning.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,804 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:59 PM

+1 for Clonezilla.
It is possible to clone to a smaller disk if you're sure all the data will fit. From https://clonezilla.o...anced-param.php :-

If you are sure all the data from the image could fit the smaller disk, i.e. it won't be written to the wrong disk space, you can check the option "-icds".Warning! To select this option, you have to know what you are doing!.

Also I presume you have a very good reason for not upgrading to Stretch as Wheezy passed EOL back in May.
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#4 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 10:56 PM

View Postsunrat, on 20 December 2018 - 09:59 PM, said:

+1 for Clonezilla.
It is possible to clone to a smaller disk if you're sure all the data will fit. From https://clonezilla.o...anced-param.php :-

If you are sure all the data from the image could fit the smaller disk, i.e. it won't be written to the wrong disk space, you can check the option "-icds".Warning! To select this option, you have to know what you are doing!.

Also I presume you have a very good reason for not upgrading to Stretch as Wheezy passed EOL back in May.
This is part of the upgrade process. Server is mission critical, need to make sure if upgrade doesn't work I have something that can be popped in.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users