Buying your girlfriend a new PC

GolfProRM

Agent, I appreciate the info on grub, and will keep it in mind for future installs... At this point I don't boot back-and-forth between Linux and Windows enough to need to worry about anything more than using the bootfloppy for linux. Besides, as I mentioned above, I'd really confuse my girlfriend (and don't need to try to explain to her why I'm even tinkering with Linux. :D bruno & quint - I probably wouldn't even consider using Linux if I didn't have a UNIX commands class in college. We went over the basic UNIX command line operators, and the basic install process... Not that I actually remember much of it, but the basics are coming back to me. Without that basic info, I don't think I'd have even tried it... I've still got the book, so that's been a huge help in getting used to using the command line. So far, I've been able to get my MSN messenger and ICQ up and running in Linux, although the tcl/tk interpreter was a pain to get to work right. I may have to reset a few things and try it again... I do get some issues with MSN connections (basically my connnection isn't very consistent), but I'm working with things and making progress! :D

Agent,  I appreciate the info on grub, and will keep it in mind for future installs...  At this point I don't boot back-and-forth between Linux and Windows enough to need to worry about anything more than using the bootfloppy for linux.  Besides, as I mentioned above, I'd really confuse my girlfriend (and don't need to try to explain to her why I'm even tinkering with Linux.  :D  bruno & quint -  I probably wouldn't even consider using Linux if I didn't have a UNIX commands class in college.  We went over the basic UNIX command line operators, and the basic install process...  Not that I actually remember much of it, but the basics are coming back to me.  Without that basic info, I don't think I'd have even tried it...  I've still got the book, so that's been a huge help in getting used to using the command line.  So far, I've been able to get my MSN messenger and ICQ up and running in Linux, although the tcl/tk interpreter was a pain to get to work right.  I may have to reset a few things and try it again...  I do get some issues with MSN connections (basically my connnection isn't very consistent), but I'm working with things and making progress! :D
Ryan, I have a solution for you - buy your girlfriend her own PC, maybe this one:http://www.falcon-nw.com/machv.aspWould like to go back to college, so that I could truly learn about this fascinating world of computers; when I did go to college, there was no internet, they were as big as refrigerators, and Bill Gates hadn't made his first million yet. :P

Ryan, I have a solution for you - buy your girlfriend her own PC, maybe this one:http://www.falcon-nw.com/machv.aspWould like to go back to college, so that I could truly learn about this fascinating world of computers; when I did go to college, there was no internet, they were as big as refrigerators, and Bill Gates hadn't made his first million yet.  :D
Sheeh! If I were going to buy a Falcon, I'd buy it for myself! :P even their "Budget" System is $1800!!! Everything they've got for sale blows mine out of the water! :DShe's got a computer.. it's just a PII 300Mhz... doesn't work as well as my Athlon XP2000... that's why she likes mine :D

Sheeh! If I were going to buy a Falcon, I'd buy it for myself! :D even their "Budget" System is $1800!!! Everything they've got for sale blows mine out of the water! :DShe's got a computer.. it's just a PII 300Mhz... doesn't work as well as my Athlon XP2000... that's why she likes mine :D OK, then how about this one:http://www.voodoopc.com/systems/f550.aspx

Quint, it's sites like these that are the reason I custom build my own pc's to my liking :D I could build similar systems for about 1/2 - 2/3 that price :D

Quint, it's sites like these that are the reason I custom build my own pc's to my liking ;)  I could build similar systems for about 1/2 - 2/3 that price :unsure:
You're right Ryan, selfbuilt is the only way to go ( and to escape pre-installed software )Bruno

Quint, it's sites like these that are the reason I custom build my own pc's to my liking :)  I could build similar systems for about 1/2 - 2/3 that price :D
You're right Ryan, selfbuilt is the only way to go ( and to escape pre-installed software )Bruno
You're both right, but I still like to go to all these exotic PC websites and ether-shop. :) The computer that I'm using is one that I built from what I thought were "good deals"; it does work pretty well, and it was a great learning experience...have always enjoyed doing things like this. (Have been a mechanic/electrician for close to thirty years.) Am currently saving my coins to build a comparable system to VooDoo, Alien, etc.; but by that time, it'll be obsolete. :) It'll still be fun though. :)

We should invent a new sport: Custom-built PC thought experimentsWho can build the best PC for the best price. How'd you judge would be a riot :lol:

:lol: Why don't you build your girlfriend a computer to equal your's, there's absolutely no reason why she can't learn to use it as well as or even better than you can.Joy

:unsure: Why don't you build your girlfriend a computer to equal your's, there's absolutely no reason why she can't learn to use it as well as or even better than you can.Joy
Won't let my wife read this post. :unsure:

:unsure: Why don't you build your girlfriend a computer to equal your's, there's absolutely no reason why she can't learn to use it as well as or even better than you can.Joy
I'm not saying that she can't learn how really use the computer, it's that she doesn't care to learn it... she only wants to use it to type papers and play games... No way in heck am I going to build her a new PC (unless SHE buys the parts). I'm a low-payed lackey... can barely afford the one computer I've got :Ddon't really know why this thread popped back up anyway :unsure:

We should invent a new sport: Custom-built PC thought experimentsWho can build the best PC for the best price. How'd you judge would be a riot  :unsure:
Well, . . . Peachy,If you read this thread:http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/forums/inde...ct=ST&f=6&t=541There are quiete a few potential winners on Scot's Newsletter Forums ! Everybody here seems to built their own. :unsure: Bruno

:unsure: Why not?Joy
Well, she's always telling me how slow the homebuilt PC is (until I tell her to try the kids'); she'd probably say "see, they're all building one, why don't you build another".

don't really know why this thread popped back up anyway :unsure:
I split it from the original thread. Thought I'd quick start something that was pushing up from the original. :unsure:

What's the name of that show on Discovery, where thay build stuff from what they can find in a garbage dump?We could ask Microsoft to sponsor the new program...it would be right up their alley!

:( If she had a computer to equal your's then she might find the incentive to learn more.Never mind my raving on, I just get tired of going to buy computer parts and being treated like a dummy because I'm female and not supposed to know anything about the insides of a computer (even though I probably know more than the salesperson).Joy

Joy, Cyndy feels the exact same way. She eschews appearing at all technical, but she is a very experienced computer user. Far more than most people realize. She was PC/Computing staff reviewer, and she covered hardware pretty extensively.It isn't just about computers either. It has to be frustrating to be automatically considered to be clueless by sales people etc. just because you're female.

What's the name of that show on Discovery, where thay build stuff from what they can find in a garbage dump?
Junkyard Wars! One of my favorite shows. I think we could just call it Garbage Wars for Microsoft. Garbage in, garbage out.-- Scot

;) If she had a computer to equal your's then she might find the incentive to learn more.Never mind my raving on, I just get tired of going to buy computer parts and being treated like a dummy because I'm female and not supposed to know anything about the insides of a computer (even though I probably know more than the salesperson).Joy
Well she's going to have a computer equal to mine here shortly... She's going to have full access to my pc... Good, bad, or ugly, I don't know ;) :lol:And just for the record, I'm not trying to bash on my girlfriend's computer knowledge... She's a geologist and that's about all she cares about. She has no desire to learn the real ins-and-outs of computers. She's got a system of her own (although it's a Pentium 100 w/ 96 Mb of ram and a 1.5Gb harddrive). She knows how to use the programs and change the wallpaper... that's all that matters to her :)