Gaming and linux

rolanaj

Ok so the only real reason for me to have Windows 7 still around is gaming ( I know this because I tried a PCLInuxOS live CD in my laptop and everything just worked).I'm not a serious gamer by the way but I do have a few games I like to play and I have no idea how or where to start with wine. Is wine the best thing to use? Are there others? I don't have actual copies of Windows just the restore CD's that came with the respective computers but I'm assuming to run Windows virtually I would need the actual install CD'sSo does anyone here play Windows games on their computer using wine (or other) and can you help or even point me in a good direction to start.

securitybreach

In order to install a game using wine you need to open up a terminal and navigate to the directory where the setup.exe file is located. Then:

$ wine setup.exe

to install the game.Here is a list of games that wine currently supports: http://appdb.winehq.org/and here is a list of Linux games http://happypenguin.org/That being said, I also have a Windows 7 partition for gaming but I disable the network while running windoze. I do not play games very much but when I do they are generally new FPS (First Person Shooters) that are very graphic intensive. I find that wine does not support newer games and ones that require anything higher than DirectX 9 to run.For now, windows is still required for most of commercial games but there are literally hundreds of great games for Linux.

I have used VirtualBox for some lower intensity games.You need to have a pretty high end machine to run your native OS, VirtualBox, and still have enough CPU/RAM to run the game virtually.Most of the factory restore discs are set up with the OS on one CD/DVD and the Drivers and Applications on the others, so you might be able to do an install in a virtual environment.

securitybreach
I am now installing Guild Wars with wine, from what I've been reading Guild Wars works well with Wine. Guild Wars also offers a free trial on their website if anyone is interested in trying it Guild Wars Free Trial
Looks cool.

Well that was actually really easy and painless :thumbsup: Guild Wars works really well with Wine in PCLinuxOS. Maybe I should try actually getting some Linux games. I did find Regnum Online which is for both Linux and Windows. I downloaded an installer for Linux and it is an .exe file??? Seems strange to me.

Well I got it to work but it was really really choppy. When I disconnected it said there was a connection error so I'll try again later to see if it works any better.