Kernel 2.6.14 rebuild

lewkh

Hi Folk, I am trying to rebuild kernel from 2.4.31 to 2.6.14. I have read the Changes file and did a necessary software upgrading. But I have encountered a problem, which I cannot

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.14-4 2.6.14-4No module aic7xxx found for kernel 2.6.14-4

I am sure that I have made the <M> on SCSI driver which is aic7xxx during make menuconfig... Could anybody have experienced before? Please advise me...... Thanks...

Hi LewI've go a few questions: What distro are we talking about ? And are you sure the 2.6.14 kernel is fully stable yet ? Did you try a 2.6.13 ? And did you download/install the 2.6.14 kernel modules as well ? ( depending on your distro ):D BrunoWishes.png

Hi Bruno, The box is running RedHat 7.3 with Kernel 2.4.31 (rebuild b4). I am not sure but I downloaded from the www.kernel.org and it stated it is the latest stable version... I didnt try 2.6.13, should I?

did you download/install the 2.6.14 kernel modules as well ? ( depending on your distro )
This is the new thing to me. Could you mind to tell me more about it? Thanks and Merry Christmas!!! :D Edited by lewkh

No module aic7xxx found for kernel 2.6.14-4[/code] I am sure that I have made the <M> on SCSI driver which is aic7xxx during make menuconfig...
Well ... maybe you need to tell us the sequence of commands you used to build your new kernel? Here, I'd do a make mrproper, make clean, make xmenuconfig, make bzimage, make modules, and then make modules_install -- all this kind of dumbly following some instructions I found somewhere on the web for the 2.6 kernels. Has always worked here, so I didn't go any deeper into understanding other methods. Guessing you might have missed one or both of those last two commands? If your usr/src/linux tree is still in place, you could likely still do those, then do your mkinitrd again, might work. I have Adaptec boards here that use aic7xxx, and I always just directly include [check mark, not M, in xmenuconfig] -- and do the same for everything else I know will be needed -- so I haven't needed an initrd file at all. Never quite understood the basis for making things as modules when you are building a kernel for a single machine, particularly drivers essential for booting. If you do a search of the lib/modules/2.6.14.4 tree, do you find the aic7xxx module?

Hi LewRedhat 7.3 ?? . . And you did not get the kernel from RedHat but from kernel.org ? ( in that case the modules should be included in the download )Can you post me a link to the exact package you downloaded ?Also: did you realize you had to compile the kernel completely and like BurningB' says make sure you have the needed modules included in your compile ?:D BrunoWishes.png

Hi LewRedhat 7.3 ?? . . And you did not get the kernel from RedHat but from kernel.org ? ( in that case the modules should be included in the download )Can you post me a link to the exact package you downloaded ?Also: did you realize you had to compile the kernel completely and like BurningB' says make sure you have the needed modules included in your compile ?:thumbsup: BrunoWishes.png
Hi Bruno, Here are the url http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ Yes... I followed the steps... Now I m searching the mkinitrd source to upgrade... Could you tell me where can I download because the sourceforge not available...

Hi LewTo be sure, can you check if you downloaded this one: linux-2.6.14.4.tar.gz ? Next for installing the source there is This TipNow, for making the initrd: the mkinitrd takes its options from the /etc/sysconfig/installkernel file. Open the file and you will see something like:

# If you want to pass options to the "make-initrd" helper script you# can do it here.INITRDOPTS=" --with libata --with sd_mod --with ata_piix --with scsi_mod --with sr_mod --with sg --with a100u2w --with aha152x --with aic7xxx --with BusLogic --with sata_nv --with sata_promise --with sata_sil --with sata_svw --with sata_via --with sata_vsc --with libata --with sd_mod --with ata_piix --with scsi_mod --with sr_mod --with sg --with a100u2w --with aha152x --with aic7xxx --with BusLogic --with sata_nv --with sata_promise --with sata_sil --with sata_svw --with sata_via --with sata_vsc "
Can you check if like in the above example it has the --with aic7xxx option in it ? ;):w00t: BrunoWishes.png

Hi Bruno, I found the source of mkinitrd and upgraded. The rebuilding of kernal is successful.... but once I update it and reboot it .... The machine hangs on "Creating the device block" screen..... Could you tell me what is the module I left out? Please advise.....

Could you tell me what is the module I left out?
Hi Lew . . . . . . very sorry but I can't . . . . . with compiling the kernel so many things can go wrong . . . I remember the first time I compiled one I had to do it over again at least 10 times before it was the way I wanted it to be.My only advice would be: "try again" ;):devil: BrunoPS: Any special reason why you run RH 7.3 and not a more recent version ?Wishes.png

Hi Bruno, I have fixed up anything... there is no error with the sequence of make and make modules_install, but the end of the make install I got the segmentation fault as below

[root@heingen linux-2.6.14]# make install  CHK	 include/linux/version.h  CHK	 include/linux/compile.h  CHK	 usr/initramfs_listKernel: arch/i386/boot/bzImage is ready  (#1)sh /usr/src/linux-2.6.14/arch/i386/boot/install.sh 2.6.14 arch/i386/boot/bzImage System.map "/boot"/sbin/new-kernel-pkg: line 70:  2031 Segmentation fault	  (core dumped) /sbin/grubby --add-kernel=$bootPrefix/$kernelName-$version $INITRD --copy-default $makedefault --title $version --args="root=$rootdevice $kernargs" --remove-kernel="TITLE=$version" --$liloFlag

Please advise me what is the problem here?

Hi Bruno, I have checked the script file, there is the parameter setting line at 70

68 mode=""	 69 version=""	 70 initrd=""	 71 initrdfile=""	 72 moddep=""	 73 verbose=""	 74 makedefault=""

I tried to search the "Segmentation fault" in the script itself, but cannt get.... Please advise...

Looks like it segfaults on making the initrd . . . which is very unusual . . . . I would not know a remedy to this.Are you 100% sure the /etc/sysconfig/installkernel file is correct ?:'( BrunoWishes.png

Hi Bruno, There is not /etc/sysconfig/installkernel file on my box. What is the purpose of file? Thanks
That file has the parameters for making the initrd.img . . . . . The question is: did your old install have an initrd.img and do you need one for the new kernel ? ( it's not absolutely always needed );) BrunoWishes.png