How to verify that there is a phone line in my apartment?

ThunderRiver

ThunderRiver

Since I don't need a phone service, I am quite excited to learn that Verizon is offering DSL service without phone service in my area. However, the service still requires that I have phone wiring in place. Now the quesiton is... How do I tell if I already have phone wiring in place? I don't know where the phone box is outside my apartment. All I saw was the security box and the meter box that keeps track of electricity and water usage.

If it's a new place, as long as there are phone jacks in your dwelling, all you have to provide to your ISP is your previous land line number. Otherwise, they will assign you a new one for data transmission purposes if technology allows for "dry loop" hookup in your area. This is my situation at present. You do not need to know where the outside connection is; they will be able to locate it from the CO (central office) once you give them a local phone line number reference and/or a ZIP code (like your janitor/super/manager).HTH

Edited by Guitar Man

Hello,You should have a phone jack some place in your apartment--most municipalities require one so that emergency service (911) calls can be made. If you are unsure of where yours is (are?) located, your landlord or apartment manager should be able to tell you.RegardsAryeh Goretsky

No need to fret, TunderRiver! As the previous replies already confirmed; most dwellings (at least in the states) have been wired for Telco lines as far back as (at least) the 70s. Maybe some new wall panelings are covering up the phone jacks inside your place at the present. It may help to go thru the task of calling your local phone company and inquire about turning on your phone service in your residence, and casually ask how much it would cost for wiring the inside of your apartment, if the phone lines have not been fished into it previously. Play dumb and have your local phone company figure out what needs to be done but FIRST find out how much it would cost to make the phone line available inside... just in case they are not there! Pretend that you are interested in new residential service. Most phone companies now offer DSL service as a part staying in business and the new laws now mandate that phone companies NOT force customers to also get additional features (such as long distance and CallerID, etc) that can cost more money!I am wondering how you have been able to connect to the internet previously; without this issue ever being surfaced earlier. :thumbsup:

I am wondering how you have been able to connect to the internet previously; without this issue ever being surfaced earlier
Unfortunately, we don't know if this is indeed a new installation, or if it's his existing apartment... :'( Nothing was mentioned originally. Perhaps he had cable access originally, and never had a land line ?Hopefully we'll get a reply shortly.

Funny!But Verizon provides the only FiOS (Fiber optic to the curb side) in metro areas. I understand that the speeds are the fastest available for residential service and the prices are not so bad either but only if the service has been rolled out in your area. I am happy with my DSL at 6Mbps/528kbps service from my phone company at a reasonable price of $25/month.One piece of information before committing to any service is to use care to determine contract obligations for the service you select. The other piece of information that needs to be evaluated is the equipment provided by the ISP. We got a free DSL modem that is also equipped with WiFi connectivity integrated. That alone is worth the trouble to inquire about; before committing to any service.