• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 12:29 PM

:whistling: Here is the lastest on this pain in the -------------- .. tested out the  Soltek mainboard (just to be sure and satisfy my own self) and with everything installed and the new CPU/heatsink fan on it there is not video at all (no beeps either but I think the speaker is to blame for that) Now on to other things, with the new mainboard, CPU and heatsink/fan installed as well as all the plug ins it still crashes (hard). Had the side covers off and the CDRW unit was HOT as in really HOT, more than I have ever run across yet. I disconected both the CDRW unit and the hdb unit. Tried to load in XP it got to the point where it is supposed to start installing files and BSOD. That is it so far, any suggestions as to what caused the CDRW unit to get so hot, and is it possible that my XP cd has gone south????
Dale

U.S. Navy (ret.) '62 - '84
Communications (Radioman)

Reg. Linux User 412421

#77 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 01:03 PM

Can you do a network install or from a another partition to test that theory out?

'freedom...is actually the reason that men live together in political organisations at all. Without it, political life as such would be meaningless. The raison d'Être of politics is freedom, and its field of experience is action'.
My Flickr Photo Blog Posted Image
del.icio.us bookmarks Posted Image

#78 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 01:09 PM

:whistling:  ;) Peachy,,,,,Ummm.... which theory are you talking about ????? The bad XP disk or the hot CDRW????
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#79 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 02:18 PM

Both. Copy the i386 folder to a network share or another partition. You remove the CD-RW from the equation and then test the disk to see if you can copy the files over...Hmm, that actually doesn't directly solve anything conclusively though. You will still need a second optical drive to definitively rule out either theory. :ermm:

'freedom...is actually the reason that men live together in political organisations at all. Without it, political life as such would be meaningless. The raison d'Être of politics is freedom, and its field of experience is action'.
My Flickr Photo Blog Posted Image
del.icio.us bookmarks Posted Image

#80 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 04:13 PM

Peachy....My theory was that possibly something was causing that CDRW unit to bind/drag creating the heat and in turn causing an excessive voltage/current draw which in turn caused the BSOD when I was trying to load in XP.....
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#81 OFFLINE   Ed_P

Ed_P

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 12:53 AM

I agree.Can you open the CD tray?  If so is there a slice of boloney still on it?   :blink:  :thumbsdown:  :thumbsup:
Ed

#82 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 08:55 AM

:o %$#^%# :D  :lol:  :D Got the tray open,,,,, no bologna,,,, but did find two slices of what used to be "dry" salami..... B)  :hmm:  :thumbsup:
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#83 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 01:30 PM

B) Here is another question regarding this particular machine (no I have not gotten it fixed yet) other than no beeps (spkr problem maybe) it does this strange/weird operation. When I power it up all the fans come on and nothing happens (no video, nada),,, but if I click on the reset button then I can watch the light change on the monitor and it comes up into video and it boots on up to whatever is boots to. I would like to believe that this is just a matter of the polarity on the power switch but that is a little hard for me to swallow (just like that "dry" salami, EdP) ... so does anyone have a fair to middlin' idea what causes this??????
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#84 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 07:35 PM

:D  :)  :happyroll: Darn, no one has come up with an idea about my last post .... okay.. well here is the latest on this machine .... this might should be in Windows forum .. but it started in here so here it goesThis also answers Peachys' post..... have tried two different XP install disks same response at the same place in both... when it gets to the screen where it says it is now going to install windows.. and then does a refresh to start ... it gives the BSOD and the error that it states is this .. FAULT_PAGE_IN_NOPAGE_AREA..... and then it locks up tight... have to hit the restart button to get anything to happen. When I do that and with nothing in the tray it boots up to the last window before the desktop and I get this as the last line ... NTDLR missing press 3 fingers to restart ..... and it also hangs on Linux distros too... tried SuSE and Knoppix. SuSE doesn't even make it to the GUI ... Knoppix gets to the GUI and even stays long enough to set up the sym/link to the modem and connects up to the web and I even got to the forums before it seized up. I replaced one DVD rom unit with a CDRW unit that needed to be tested anc I also tried the already present CDRW unit.... nothing is installing .... Any suggestions ... out there ......
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#85 OFFLINE   Gus K

Gus K

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 08:40 PM

longgone, on Aug 15 2004, 12:28 PM, said:

:D Here is another question regarding this particular machine (no I have not gotten it fixed yet) other than no beeps (spkr problem maybe) it does this strange/weird operation. When I power it up all the fans come on and nothing happens (no video, nada),,, but if I click on the reset button then I can watch the light change on the monitor and it comes up into video and it boots on up to whatever is boots to. I would like to believe that this is just a matter of the polarity on the power switch but that is a little hard for me to swallow (just like that "dry" salami, EdP) ... so does anyone have a fair to middlin' idea what causes this??????
Re-check all your switch connections to the mobo header.  More than a few times I've had this wrong and also many times the mobo diagram/literature has also been mis-labled.I also had some weird problems once when the CD-Rom was slaved to the HD I was trying to install to.

#86 OFFLINE   Marsden11

Marsden11

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 08:45 PM

It can be just about aything hardware wise...Had a business client who purchased a dual Xeon server. Server would run for 20 minutes and then instant shutdown. Could not turn back on without disconecting power from the server box.Repalced EVERYTHING twice! I mean everything. Power supplies were PC Power and Cooling and not cheap. Still, the server would only run for 20 minutes and then instant shutdown. After 5 days of hair pulling finally came to the conclusion that it was due to a "wild trace" on the Intel motherboard. A wild trace is a part of the internal wiring on the MB that when reaching a certain temp, a short would occur thus tripping the PS built in fault sensing features and killing the power.The board ran fine a a semi chilled environment. The same board and subsquent boards would not run in non-chilled environments...Swap out the motherboard and try just memory and video. Then swap out different memory. Then swap out the video card. You will figure out which componet is faulty. Don't forget to swap out the power supply.

#87 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 09:13 PM

Gus K/Marsden11Thanks for the response .....Gus K ... I have seriously  considered the connections from the front panel to the mainboard, that will be my next check... I am fortunate in that I have an exact twin mainboard to compare with....Marsden11..... Let's see, I have replaced the mainboard, the CPU and its associated heatsink/fan combo.....changed PSU's....used spare RAM.... changed out the DVD rom for a CDRW ... still had the original CDRW in it  also ...  BTW  this is an AMD board, ASRock K7S8X brand new ....
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#88 OFFLINE   Marsden11

Marsden11

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 11:12 PM

What about the hard drive?

#89 OFFLINE   pc-tecky

pc-tecky

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 02:24 AM

It's a simple case for the process of elimination:Use one known good (or new) system/motherboard to test one at a time:1. with good CPU, all memory sticks in question2. with good memory stick, all CPU's in question3. with good or tested good CPU and memory, all drives, video cards, PCI cards, etc.Keep all the items that test good, and RMA or toss out those that fail.Get a PSU tester ($15) and test any power supplies in question. The one I time I tested a questionable PSU, it popped and fizzled and gave off an ever so brief pretty blue plume, which, btw, smoked us out of the back room of the computer shop. Ah, the distiguished smell of fried electronics (or of an eletrical fire). :D Swap known mobo with unknown mobo, and known PSU for unknown PSUs.If the power supply blew up, fizzled out, went south, or otherwise died, it could have taken out any and all connected hardware. The same story goes if the mobo died. Check the mobo and the drives for cracked chips, burned out chips, or the smell of fried electronics. Indications that a drive was effected are slow performance, excessive jitters, new and unusual noises, and inability to read and/or write data.All mobos in working order should have one beep that means all is well, unless it's not or the speaker doesn't work. But then that's where that video card and monitor cames into play to give you some kind of visual clue that it's working. Afaik, you need a CPU and memory before a mobo will boot as minium requirements.Or you could free up your hands and package all the pieces together and ship them to me. I'll throw out whatever doesn't work :happyroll: and ship back the working pieces as a completed system. Of course, you risk the chance that none of the hardware works in which case you'll get nothing back. :) :happyroll:

#90 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 09:02 AM

Marsden11/pc-teckyI have considered the hard drive..... as a last resort...... I have a couple others here I could swap out to see what happens.pc-tecky .... your proposal is very appealing... but.... need to know more specifics ... you could might just have a deal in the making ... read back through this thread and you will see what all I have done so far....
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#91 OFFLINE   pc-tecky

pc-tecky

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 02:47 PM

Well, what kind of specific details do you want??Yes, I read through it at least once. So much hardware has been swapped in and out that I'm not sure what does and what doesn't work at this point. Is that three systems now?? :wacko: (Oh my head! jk...) That's why I suggested testing questionable hardware one at a time against known good working hardware. That way finding the point of failure(s) would be easier. And it could be that the combination just doesn't work well.

#92 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 04:54 PM

pc-tecky..........Well I do have a machine that does have a brand new CDRW unit in it that I  can use as a test base in this machine to check everything else out with ... IMHO  I feel that possibly the two CDRW units are not quite  right  so that  is where I will start first...
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users