Do you have your own email server?

lewmur

Having your own email server is a good way to protect your privacy. The old saying about you can't "erase" stuff once it's on the "net", is not quite the same if you maintain your own server. If the NSA wants your emails, they don't need to examine your computer. They can go to your ISP and get them from their server. But if you are your own server, then it becomes almost impossible to retrieve anything you want to hide.

So when someone says they have "furnished all relevant emails" from their own server, you have only their word for it. I can see a govt employee having their own email "account". But it is rare for anyone to have their own personal email SERVER. The obvious reason for doing so is that you don't want everything you communicate to be open to public scrutiny.

And when you have evidence "beyond a reasonable doubt", that that same person has perjured themselves to a Federal Grand Jury, it becomes laughable when that person claims to be affronted when you don't accept her word that she has been "totally transparent".

• Like 2

well, as long as they don't knock your door down and snatch your server. that happens, you know.

Sure! But it's too late now. The data has already been purged.

edit: There is a story in today's news that 32000 emails were deleted from that server. Of course, she claims they were all "personal". "Yes, I sent some emails to the Ayatollah, but they were all personal."

Edited by lewmur

oops, see my edit above.

yes, already purged. no doubt.

There is no doubt that there are a great number of people who are willing to "take her word for it". Do you think those same people would have taken Nixon's? :'(

Breaking news!! Rep. Gowdy wants to "examine" the server!! Why??? Any hdd's with pertinent data will have already been replaced and the originals destroyed. Examining the server now will just lend credence to the idea that the data couldn't be deleted. "We did a complete forensic analysis and couldn't find anything wrong." Of course you couldn't. Do you really think someone who'd create their own email server would be stupid enough to leave something embarrassing on it?? :D

Hello,

there's already a mechanism in place that allows law enforcement to retrieve data from a server.

It's called a search warrant.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

Hello,

there's already a mechanism in place that allows law enforcement to retrieve data from a server.

It's called a search warrant.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

You can't get data from an HDD that has been crushed and incinerated. A search warrant for something that is no longer there, is useless.

You can erase the emails on your computer, as Ms. Lerner did. But they were still retrieved from backup of the server. But in this case, Madam Sect also controlled the server and could erase that too.

Edited by lewmur

I've been watching this story for days now and the entire media, including conservative pundits, seem to be missing this crucial point. If I heard it once I've heard it dozens of times. "Colin Powell used a personal email account when he was Sect of State." So what!!! The BIG problem isn't using a "personal email account". It is having ALL of your email, and quite possibly that of your subordinates, processed through a server over which you have total control. Colin Powell DID NOT have a private email SERVER!! So she WASN'T "Just doing what her predecessors did".

Then she claimed "All of the emails I sent to .gov addresses would have immediately been saved." First of all, the State Dept itself denied that claim. But more importantly, it is irrelevant. Any emails she would want to keep secret, wouldn't have been sent to .gov addresses. They'd be sent to other email accounts she had set up on her "private server".

Edited by lewmur

• 2 weeks later...

well, as long as they don't knock your door down and snatch your server. that happens, you know.

Sure! But it's too late now. The data has already been purged.

edit: There is a story in today's news that 32000 emails were deleted from that server. Of course, she claims they were all "personal". "Yes, I sent some emails to the Ayatollah, but they were all personal."

As Gomer Pyle would say, "Surprise!! Surprise!!". Hate to say "I told you so."

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

And the beat goes on. A Federal Judge has re-opened a case in which Judicial Watch sued the State Department asking for Sect. Clinton's email. Some of the "talking heads" are trying to make a big deal of this saying the Judge may order Pres. Clinton, who actually owns the server, to turn it over to the court. Big Deal! As I've stated, the whole point of having their own server was so they could physically destroy the HDD, and any backups, leaving absolutely no trace of the deleted email.

The only recourse left to the judicial system would be to charge Pres. Clinton, the owner of the server, for destroying govt property. (While the server belongs to Pres. Clinton, the judge could rule that the emails themselves were govt property.) Anyone foolish enough to think that is going to happen? :angry2: :angry2:

Edited by lewmur

burninbush

And the beat goes on. A Federal Judge has re-opened a case in which Judicial Watch sued the State Department asking for Sect. Clinton's email. Some of the "talking heads" are trying to make a big deal of this saying the Judge may order Pres. Clinton, who actually owns the server, to turn it over to the court. Big Deal! As I've stated, the whole point of having their own server was so they could physically destroy the HDD, and any backups, leaving absolutely no trace of the deleted email.

The only recourse left to the judicial system would be to charge Pres. Clinton, the owner of the server, for destroying govt property. (While the server belongs to Pres. Clinton, the judge could rule that the emails themselves were govt property.) Anyone foolish enough to think that is going to happen? :angry2: :angry2:

Heh.... Hillary is smarter than the average presidential candidate, plus she has a sym link to the Master. That seems to me could be a good thing. It's on the Repubs to put up a candidate that can beat her.

p.s. -- Hillary isn't president yet, wait 18 months or so for that.

• 2 months later...