Windows System Restore

JerryM

When restoring to an earlier date, does Windows System Restore restore the programs that were on the system on that date? For example, if I had Avast on the system as my AV on 5 April, and had subsequently changed to AVG, would Restore go back to AVG if my restore point was 5 April?What is restored by Windows Restore? I have ERUNT on my computer, and if I needed to go to a previous date, is there an advantage to one or the other?Thanks,Jerry

When restoring to an earlier date, does Windows System Restore restore the programs that were on the system on that date?
Yes.If you use a restore point from April 5th, your AV program would be Avast and all the windows updates from April, May and June will need to be reinstalled. The restore removes all programs on your computer after April 5th. It doesn't change things like emails or office documents stored on the computer.I can't tell you if ERUNT or Windows System Restore has the advantage.I run ERUNT because I'm using 2000 and it doesn't have a restore feature.

When restoring to an earlier date, does Windows System Restore restore the programs that were on the system on that date?
Actually, no. If program "A" is un-installed and program "B" is then installed, and then a system restore is done to a point before the change was made, not only will program "B" no longer function but program "A" will also be gone."System Restore" is just that .... a way to restore SYSTEM files and profiles/settings. It is NOT a BACKUP. It does not restore a complete image of a drive. Check here for more info.Rodger