Physical security-carbon copies

Jeber

I've run into a security issue with a twist. We have several customers who have fax machines that use a roll of material with properties very similar to carbon paper (something a few of us oldsters might remember). When it's exhausted, they usually bring us the old roll and buy a new one.Here's the issue. Many of these customers are real estate agents, lawyers and others who fax sensitive documents. I've shown them that the film retains a readable image of each fax in negative. They are usually unaware that the film does this and are genuinely concerned that this private data be destroyed. I'm at a loss as to what to advise. Here in the city you can't very well burn the film, a good but unworkable solution. So I'm open to suggestions. What you would suggest as a way to make carbon paper (carbon film in this case) unreadable, in other words, how best to destroy the film on these rolls. I've considered paper shredders but I'm not sure if this light film would clog it up or be properly shredded.

heat might work too - something like ironing it so the image "melts". I realize an iron isn't practical for a long roll of material but there might be something with enough heat to melt rather than burn. Wrap it in foil and bake it in the oven? It sounds strange but it might work.Now that I've read photocopiers retain the information that you've photocopied, I find I'm using my scanner at home to print out things rather than go to photocopy if it is information I think should be secure.

Here in the city you can't very well burn the film....
Is there a ban or a city ordinance regarding burning in San Diego? Too bad, because it would be the best solution in my opinion. Edited by Tushman

I've considered paper shredders but I'm not sure if this light film would clog it up or be properly shredded.
I would try this anyhow... maybe ask around about the right shredder(s) for the job. :unsure:

Get rid of the current fax machines and buy new ones?
That's always my first suggestion, too. But it still leaves the problem of what to do with the old machine's roles.Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll pass them along and see what the customers consider the most practical.

Hello,I believe I know what you are talking about--the carbon paper-like material is plastic-backed, correct?Microwaving or otherwise heating them might cause problems with generating harmful chemicals. I am inclined to go with the shredding method. Perhaps they could use a service like Iron Mountain if no appropriate shredder can be found.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky