HP printer problems after Snow Leopard upgrade

striker

Guest LilBambi

Apparently more All in One printers from HP are supported directly within Snow Leopard; but that is no trade off for those with legacy HP printers that USED to be able to print fine and now can't.Nor is it, IMHO, very wise of Apple and HP to leave that fact out in the PRE RELEASE News for Leopard. B)

a DeskJet 4180 is still being sold where I live. However, in the article it was mentioned it doesn't work (anymore) with Snow Leopard. Ridiculous to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a LaserJet 5MP, circa 1995, and it's still supported in Snow Leopard. What's more it's a great printer that still works, and I'm not replacing it until it gives up the ghost. I had heard that HP had told some people they need to upgrade their printers. That's what's wrong with the big computer companies. They've lost touch with what got them there. I bought an HP in 1995 because I knew it was a Sherman tank that would last and last. I paid more for something that would do that.It's HP folks. Apple has no vested interest in not supporting third-party printers. Their own printer business essentially died in the 90s. Apple has gone to great pains to make it easier to support HP printers. HP is just more into planned obsolescence these days. They have created a zillion printer SKUs over the last 10 years. Why would you do that? IBM followed the same path with their hardware before selling it off in chunks.-- Scot

This is what's keeping me from upgrading. I've got an HP Deskjet 5550C that still works great, but is not supported under Snow Leopard. I had been thinking about getting an All-in-One unit at some point, but don't like being forced into the decision. I'm pretty sure it won't be an HP when I do get one. If I could convince my IT Manager at work to stop buying HP printers, I would, not that HP would give a hoot.

Apple released HP Printer Drivers 2.1 several days ago via its Software Update facility, which may solve your HP printer issues in Snow Leopard. The company also released the OS X 10.6.1 update that fixed several minor problems, the most notable being the outdated version of Adobe Flash that Snow Leopard installs. The new printer update requires OS X 10.6.1.For more info about the newly added HP drivers, see this Computerworld story.Unfortunately, neither HP nor Apple released a list of just the drivers that were added (see story above for some info), but Apple does offer the complete list, updated to include the newly added HP drivers.You'll get the update automatically if you've got Snow Leopard installed.-- Scot

Thanks Scot! The list is huge, not only HP printers are in there but other brands too. (for those of you who didn't know and want to see if your printer is supported)

Not long after I made my last post earlier in this thread, I got an Apple Software Update for the Canon Printer Drivers 2.1, which, along with Snow Leopard's built-in driver pack, contains drivers for these Canon models. It's very likely that driver packs for other makers have been or will be released as well. I use two different Canon inkjet models (and swear by them).-- Scot

You should be fine with the Gutenprint driver. I have been with my Canon's. In fact, I'd have to say they're better than the Canon drivers -- a weak spot for Canon. Esp. for Mac.-- Scot