iPhone 3G

ross549

hero20080609.png http://www.apple.com/iphone/Introducing iPhone 3G. With fast 3G wireless technology, GPS mapping, support for enterprise features like Microsoft Exchange, and the new App Store, iPhone 3G puts even more features at your fingertips. And like the original iPhone, it combines three products in one — a revolutionary phone, a widescreen iPod, and a breakthrough Internet device with rich HTML email and a desktop-class web browser. iPhone 3G. It redefines what a mobile phone can do — again.-- 3G cellular speeds. Surf the internet even faster!-- AppStore. Download add on applications from the iTunes music Store. Apps can also be downloaded direct to the phone over wifi or cellular 3G.-- MS Exchange support. ActiveSyunc lets you get your e-mail, contacts and calendar right from your Exchange account.-- Maps with GPS. Find your location, get directions, and track progress along your route.--Contact search. If you have a huge address book, finding that elusive contact just got easier.-- Better multilanguage support.A lot there. I think it is a great upgrade to the "old" hardware. The only option I am aiting for is a 32GB model. Once that comes, I think I will take the plunge.Adam

I have been trying to figure out - how much utility can you get out of it without the appropriate phone contract? It sure is cheaper than the itouch now (which I plan to get with my mac air.......

I'm not certain you can even use it without it being activated. Anyone have experience with this? I do know the iPod Touch is actually significantly thinner than the iPhone.Adam

Guest LilBambi

iPod Touch is what I want! Some day.Just traded in my old phone for a FREE $199 phone on my carrier so too late for me on the iPhone. B)

Grasshopper

Yeah, I just bought a Razr v3xx...so I'm out. I also have an 80GB Ipod Classic that I LOVE!32GB wouldn't be enough for me. B)

Guest LilBambi

The iPhone 3G is way kewl and only $199 in 70 countries (and 22 countries the first day July 11th!)! But I did find out from the Keynote that Apple is wrapping all apps in the AppStore in FairPlay DRM. Heard it from the horses' mouth (Steve Jobs). However, there is also ad hoc, which he didn't say had FairPlay that could be used to ship stuff between developers and testers, etc. That's pretty kewl.But sinc 10.6 is only gonna be Intel and PPC is dead to Apple now ... will the iPhone SDK which currently worked on PPC OS X Macs no longer work there??!Hate it when we guess right on crap like DRM like what they are doing in the AppStore.But the iPhone 2.0 upgrade free for current iPhones and now only $9.99 for iPod Touch users is much better than they originally talked about.

Guest LilBambi

Yeah, subsidized by the carrier in exchange for a 2 yr contract like my new phone for free that claims a $199 cost normally and at Amazon is listed as .01 cents with a 2 yr contract with the carrier, but Amazon says it retails for $250.I just hope none of them are subsidized by our tax dollars. I would hate corps to get money like that at our expense so they can turn around and make it look like they are giving you something for being a good customer or whatever.

Guest LilBambi

I wonder if we should move part of this topic to a new topic about the new iPhone 3G?Here's something new that came out about Apple's grip now that they have lowered the price and are opening the market to 70 countries (from 6 previously):O2 3G iPhone: Apple cracks down on unlocking (on Crave/CNET):

According to our sources at O2, Brits who want to buy a 3G iPhone are going to have to sign up to a contract before they can get their hands on one, wherever they buy it. This is seriously bad news for people eager to unlock their new iPhone, as you're not going to be able to buy one for the discounted contract price and then unlock it.If you don't want to get tied to a contract you'll have to choose the pay-as-you-go option, which hasn't been priced yet but is likely to be more than a couple of hundred quid. Either way, unlockers are going to be stuck between a hard place and a rock. The choice is clear: sign up to a contract or splash some cash on a pay as you go handset.
Much more in the article.

I'd split these off and merge with the other topic.You can always pay the ETF, and let the carrier get their money back from subsidizing the phone...... ;)Adam

Guest LilBambi
Yeah, I just bought a Razr v3xx...so I'm out. I also have an 80GB Ipod Classic that I LOVE!32GB wouldn't be enough for me. ;)
I just got something similar to the Razr too. B)
I'd split these off and merge with the other topic.You can always pay the ETF, and let the carrier get their money back from subsidizing the phone...... ;)Adam
Done...posts moved to this topic. :thumbsup: