Missing DVD in Mandrake

nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

My main system is one I play with alot so many distros and hardware setups change on this beast. I just put MDK 9.1 on this and noticed that harddrake is only listing my TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R5002 under CD/DVD burners no DVD rom. Thus no DVD movies. I've used Ogle on this before but that was under RH8. I have a /dev/dvd file and the drive itself is located (according to harddrake) at /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/cd. It is an atapi IDE drive so I'm not sure why it is showing up under the SCSI bus. How do I fix this to make it fully show up in harddrake and to Ogle or Xine?

This is pretty strange Nathan,Did you try Mplayer and Xine as well ?Installing Mandrake yesterday on an other computer ( got the loan of it for a weekend ) showed me that some features work differently than on my own computer. A re-install helped to get a reasonable simular OS, but still not 100% the same. Because my burner gave problems in my VectorLinux 3.2, I installed that as well on the loan-computer ( with the same burner ). Miraculously the burner does an excellent job there. ( VectorSOHO has no burner problems . . . )I just think there are powers greater than us and our OS. :):) Bruno

Nathan quote:

It is an atapi IDE drive so I'm not sure why it is showing up under the SCSI bus. How do I fix this to make it fully show up in harddrake and to Ogle or Xine?
I'm not sure in your case, but the same thing happened to me, with SuSE 8.2, and a Lite-On CD-RW drive...seems it needed "scsi emulation", in order to run properly; so far, things are OK. I'm not knowledgable enough to understand why it must emulate scsi, but as long as it works... :) Don't know if this helps at all, but I'm sure someone who knows, will arrive to help.

nlinecomputers

Yep tried them all. Ogle locks up. Xine doesn't have a DVD button. Mplayer also acted like there is no DVD. Yet I can drop data DVDs into the player and read them just fine.I think I need a real hardware guru on this one. I don't know enough about the kernel level stuff to know what config file I need to edit to get this to view correctly. A reinstall isn't outta the question but I'd just like to know what went wrong and how to fix it.

nlinecomputers
I'm not sure in your case, but the same thing happened to me, with SuSE 8.2, and a Lite-On CD-RW drive...seems it needed "scsi emulation", in order to run properly; so far, things are OK. I'm not knowledgable enough to understand why it must emulate scsi, but as long as it works...  Don't know if this helps at all, but I'm sure someone who knows, will arrive to help.
The problem is that I think is DOESN'T need scsi emulation. Somehow MDK thinks it does so now I have no DVD player. Wierd isn't. I tried SuSE 8.1 on this box a few days ago. It did see the DVD player but it also kept putting about 8 references to one in fstab. I'd remove them and reboot and right back they would come. I don't think SuSE uses kudzu but something like it was mis-IDing it. May have to put RH8 back on just to see how it worked.

Yep tried them all.  Ogle locks up.  Xine doesn't have a DVD button.  Mplayer also acted like there is no DVD.  Yet I can drop data DVDs into the player and read them just fine.I think I need a real hardware guru on this one.  I don't know enough about the kernel level stuff to know what config file I need to edit to get this to view correctly.  A reinstall isn't outta the question but I'd just like to know what went wrong and how to fix it.
Sorry I was of no help, Nathan. :) Good fortune to you...but I still wonder why mine is OK; have been using "mplayer". :)

NathanI regret to say that I went through this a few times. It was not a big deal for me because I don't watch DVDs on my computer. It showed up on a Drake install and corrected itself on a reinstall. One time (yes I have done more than my share of drake installs on this computer) I went into Drake Control center and then to hardware. Then I clicked on the HDC (my DVD) and down at the bottom is a "Run config tool". I went in there and put it at what I knew it was suppose to be and that worked.You can also go to a konsole and configure it in (Correct me if I am wrong) HardDrak. The MCC route is the easiest way to fix it short of a reinstall!

Hmm,Are you sure you got Xine to play DVDs? I couldn't either in Mandrake 9.1 until I downloaded xine from source files and built it from scratch and compiled it with DeCSS, some graphics libraries and some other stuff (about 4 different compiles in all; not the most user-friendly way to play DVDs). Anyway, here's a link that may be of use, although it refers to Mandrake 9.0.This might be helpful, too:http://www.trylinuxsd.com/dvd/This is the page I used to compile xine with DVD playback:http://www.linux-sxs.org/multimedia/dvdplay.html

nlinecomputers

Well I pulled my copy of Xine DeCSS off of the PLF site so I assume that it is compiled with the needed fixes to make DVDs work. But if that is the case and I have a bum copy why doesn't that let Ogle work? Thanks for the links. I'll check'em out. I'm still scraching my head about this scsi thing though.

nlinecomputers

Julia,Yes and it didn't change anything. All MCC does is rewrite your fstab file. This is more basic then that. The kernel thinks it is a scsi drive. A look through the /dev directory shows it located as /dev/hdd but that is just a link to the location down in the /dev/scsi. We got some other links like /dev/dvd here to the same thing. I had some other problems with SuSE 8.1 and this drive but couldn't remember what so I just blew MDK off and loaded SuSE. It shows 8 SCSI devices instead of one but basicly it thinks it is SCSI too. I also get errors on bootup about bad sectors on HDD. Well I don't have a hard drive at HDD. I have this IDE DVD burner. I think I've got a drive that Linux doesn't know how to run fully. I'll put MDK back on and try to work with the kernel a bit. Time for a recompile. Need to see if any drivers exist for this drive.

Nathan,The reason why there is a SCSI entry is because in order for Linux to use the CD-R/RW function of the drive it loads a SCSI driver for the IDE interface. Don't ask me why it does this. If you look at your /sbin/lilo.conf or /etc/grub.conf file you will notice a line like:

append="hdc=ide-scsi"

Linux loads the ide-scsi module at boot to deal with CD-R/RW devices as well as IDE tape drives.

Good luck. I just know that worked for me when it was renamed weird things. Drake is usually pretty accurate unless some odd ball program tries to change things. That was where my problems arose initially. It was in one of the cd burner programs trying to reconfig my cd/dvd drives.

Although I had trouble configuring the CD-RW and DVD drives in SuSE and Slackware, the MCC made a "perfect and easy" configuration, each and every time...you know your 'drake, Julia. :lol: