Patriot 16GB USB 3.0 Drive - corrupt and Read Only {solved}

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

I have a wonderful Patriot 16GB USB 3.0 drive that suddenly decided to puke on me.

It was not working right on any type of computer; corrupted data and read only. You could see nothing even if it was viewable. And you couldn't even reformat it because EVERYTHING including Linux thought it was read only.

I did some searching around and the first result in a Google search had the answer:

Patriot Axle 16gb, "write protected" "corrupt"

In that topic on the Patriot Forums, this is the thing that worked for me:

Can you please see if our low level format/reset tool will restore the drive for normal use? Please give it a try. Please note that the formatter must be done on a PC. You can extract it to the desktop and run it from there.

Here is the link to the formatter:

http://www.patriotme....re/Restore.rar

Thanks you Patriot Forums' Patriot_Ben! Would have hated to lose that wonderful 16GB Drive!

So far so good. I have reformatted it three times and am in the process of copying all the stuff I had on it before.

I just hope it does not mean that the chip is starting to fail....

Edited by LilBambi

Same thing happened with a 16$ 64gb Intenso . usb drive . The distributor got so many of them back they discontinued the line.

I was stumped . so brought it to the Nephew . He d/loaded the kicker and installed it write protect. From his PC. Its perfect now filled and emptied with lotsa movies regularly. . But **no format*

no way . Just delete files only ==/dev/null.

Guest LilBambi

If I can't format it safely, it's of no use to me. I had to test it with format. I use this on other people's computers and you just never know when you will need to use Linux to remove the partition and reformat it.

I don't use it on known bad computers, but there are some where I didn't realize they had a problem and before i use it anywhere else, it's wiped in Linux ... partition and formatting.

Haven't had to do it very often but you just never know...

I usually use CDs and DVDs to work on sick computers though.

Guest LilBambi

So glad others have found these low level formatters work for them too.

What make was yours Capt.Crow, Intenso? Never heard of it. But I also got a general formatter that can be used for others from that forum topic as well.