Shaving Retro

Pete!

During the 1980s people seemed to think that what I really needed, was more shaving gear, Just about every “gifting” occasion produced at least one shaving accessory kit. I have a drawer full of aftershave lotions, and fancy handles for Atra, and Trac II, blade cartridges.

Of course I was obliged to use them.

Fortunately, my local supermarket carried “store brand” blades that would fit either one for considerably less than the overpriced brand name blade cartridges.

It seems that these days, a modern razor needs at least three to five cutting edges. The generic two blade cartridges have just been discontinued.

I looked at the alternatives.

I’m NOT going to pay $20 for stupid razor blades.

For some reason they still carry the old fashioned double edge blades that prehistoric safety razors used. They’re less than $4 for a package of ten.

I scrounged around in my basement and found:

1. An old Schick safety razor with a damaged plastic handle (vintage unknown)

2. A Gillette “Super Speed” (date code indicates 3rd quarter 1956, about when I started shaving).

3. A Gillette “Slim Adjustable” (date code indicates 1st quarter 1966, I was young lieutenant)

4. A package of rusty generic “Blue Blades”.

5. A package of Schick stainless blades with one blade left.

I grabbed the stainless blade, and both Gillette razors, cleaned them up, and put the blade in the adjustable. It works just as well as it did in the ‘60s, before the myths about multiple cutting edges was propagated.

When it’s time to change blades, I have every intention of trying the 1956 razor, and finding out that the “adjustable” feature was just a sales gimmick.

BTW: It seems that old Gillette razors have become collectors items. (That’s why I was able to date them). Originally priced at $2 and change, they’re going for hundreds at auctions. If my wife had ever found them, she would have thrown them out.

I wonder what happened to my grandfather’s straight razor?

Edited by Pete!
  • Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

HA! I have a few straight razors, but that's not what I shave with. I still use the Schick razor that I experimented with when I was a wee lad of 12 or so. It was my dad's. I have three more Schicks that were his, also. There worth money, you say?

Looks just like this one...

ZGASWPg.jpg

Oh, and I dry shave. I have a full beard, so I only shave my neck. It's not worth the trouble to foam up with shaving cream. Heck, I still have a can of my dad's Colgate Lime shaving cream. He's been dead since '86. The can's about half full. ;)

It looks like the can on the far right...

BKJfYKS.jpg

• Like 1

Looks just like this one...

That bears a resemblance to the Schick that I didn't salvage.

The plastic on the tightening knob, at the base of the handle, had broken off.

I don't recall why I got it, but it may have been part of my travel kit in the '70s when I had a job that required lots of travel.

Re: Shaving cream:

I haven't used canned shaving cream in ages.

One of those gifted "kits" included a brush.

Any bar soap used with warm water will make a better lather than you'll find in a can.

• Like 1

My husband also doesn't subscribe to the multiple blade nonsense. (me neither for women's safety razors)

He buys single blade Bic disposable razors (with the yellow handle) in a bag with 12 razors for under $3 at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BIC-Sensitive-Shaver-Disposable-Razor-Men-12-Count/10320810

I had a coupon the last time we bought a bag to save $2. So they cost us 82¢. :thumbup:

He does have electric razors and uses them to touch up. When my dad died, he also inherited the shavers my dad had.

• Like 1

My husband also doesn't subscribe to the multiple blade nonsense. (me neither for women's safety razors)

He buys single blade Bic disposable razors (with the yellow handle) in a bag with 12 razors for under $3 at Walmart.

https://www.walmart....-Count/10320810

I had a coupon the last time we bought a bag to save $2. So they cost us 82¢. :thumbup:

He does have electric razors and uses them to touch up. When my dad died, he also inherited the shavers my dad had.

I'm not a big fan of "disposable", but that's one of the things that POed me about the price of blade cartridges. In spite of being only part of the razor, they charge a comparatively outrageous price.

It wasn't a deciding factor, but it seems to me that a blade that does NOT include any plastic, is more environmentally friendly, than either a cartridge, or a disposable.

I could never get satisfactory results from an electric razor, and trying was very time consuming.

BTW: Eric's post inspired me to take another look at the Schick. It's a "Krona" model (made 1964-1976). It's probably not as old as Eric's.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just use the cheapest razors I can find. Generally ends up being a 10-pack of "single use" disposable ones for €1.50 that lasts me nearly a year.

I guess that goes to show how often I actually shave...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Inspired by this thread and the fact that I had almost run out of blades for my razor I tried to buy some locally. There were none to be found. I use a twin blade slot in Gillette and have done so since they were first brought out quite a long time ago. They give a nice clean smooth shave and you can shave quite quickly with them. I used to use an old fashioned flat blade razor that was made of a brass type of metal circa second world war I think that I bought from a flea market back in the seventies. However shaving in a hurry always left me looking like a accident victim hence the change to a twin blade.

With no blades available locally I searched E-Bay and found,

KcfzBTU.jpg

a whole variety of blades. Several types of Gillette some Wilkinson Sword a few black market types and some Tesco own brand(discontinued). One pack even came with a new handle which was neat as I could use that as my permanent travelling razor.

I spent in total £17 and I recon I have enough blades to last for quite a few years, they may even last me till I pop me clogs. As one blade lasts me around three weeks as I only shave to look clean and smart. If I happen to meet the love of my life (I am still looking ) I may run out as I'll probably need to shave more often to keep me cheeks as smooth as a babies bum.

I can not get on with electric razors due to the noise they make . I find lathering up and scraping away in total silence almost like a moving meditation first thing in the day. Rinsing of the last of the lather and towelling dry before gazing at my handsome face sets me up for the day.

😜

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton
On 11/12/2018 at 3:54 PM, Pete! said:

For some reason they still carry the old fashioned double edge blades that prehistoric safety razors used. They’re less than $4 for a package of ten.

Unfortunately for me, it's getting harder and harder to find decent twin-edged safety razor blades these days. There was a little Korean beauty supply store in the same shopping center where I but groceries, cigs, lottery tickets, etc. The young lady there stocked a brand of blades called "Dorco". They were made in Korea and were of excellent quality. I could shave with one blade for over a month before it would start getting dull. She sold the 10-packs for $1 and change. Sadly, that little shop closed last summer. :(

This thread revival here reminds me that I should search for the Dorco blades online...

COOL! I can buy 100 of the Dorco blades on eBay for $11.99 (12¢ a blade - not bad) w/ free shipping. As soon as I can afford that, I will order it. :)

Heh! That would be about 9+ years' worth of blades for me. ;)

• Agree 1
  • +1 2

4 hours ago, securitybreach said:

What is this shaving you speak of? I havent shaved in many years. Real men grow beards B) :hysterical:

I knew a man who grew a beard in college because it saved money on shaving products as well as saving time. It was the late 60s and everyone had them anyway. Later he just couldn't get back into the habit of shaving.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Shaving is a PITA. I've had a beard since I was 16 years old. I couldn't fathom what it would be like to get up every morning and shave.

4 hours ago, securitybreach said:

What is this shaving you speak of? I havent shaved in many years. Real men grow beards B) :hysterical:

Nah it is because beardies are not to be trusted with a naked blade anywhere near a soft throat.  😛

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Unfortunately for me, it's getting harder and harder to find decent twin-edged safety razor blades these days. ....

I ended up sticking with the Gillette Adjustable. At the lowest settings, it's hard to cut yourself, even with cheap generic blades. Even if I have to change blades three or four times as often, I'm still saving money compared to the latest multiple bladed fads.

Beard ? ?  I was told never to trust anyone who needs to hide his face 😁

Edited by Pete!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Heh! I'm still using the same razor I posted in the beginning of this thread.

s4yr1ic.png

Actually, it's same razor I've been using since my dad died in '86. It was his razor.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
39 minutes ago, Pete! said:

I was told never to trust anyone who needs to hide his face 😁

I hide my face for everyone else's benefit. ;)

• Haha 4

ALDI razors here, a fraction of the price of big name brands. I recently saw an ad on TV boasting "Only $1 per shave" for one of those fancy schmancy 5 blade razors. I get a few weeks of shaves for $1!

17 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Actually, it's same razor I've been using since my dad died in '86. It was his razor.

I think that qualifies as an antique now!

• Agree 1