No more "konsole" in "PCLOSv5"

quint

Hi all,Well, I wanted to do something "bold & daring" (aka stupid), so I installed the "2.6.5-5tex" kernel in "PCLOSv5"; after tackling one dependency issue after another, I finally managed to get it installed, and configured, properly. Internet works, sound is a minor issue, it's quite fast, and everything works well...except - I now do not have any "konsole", "xterm", or "terminal" of any kind, when logged-in as "quint"! :( I do, however, if I log-in as "root". :) Any ideas, help, input, will be most appreciated.I'm just glad that I kept the "2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk" kernel. :) I did find out something interesting: the "PCLOS LILO", will only allow 28 distros'. :w00t: TIA. ;)

Can you add them back in at the MCC? Can you handle the 28 limitation? Dare I ask how you discovered this one? :DJulia :)

Hi QuintFrom what I understand the 2.6.5-4 and 2.6.5-5 tex kernels had some problems . . . . :(What if you do Alt+F2 and try to start "konsole" from the "run-box" ? Or using synaptic to uninstall Xterm ( not konsole ) and install it again, finishing off with a "update-menus -v" ?Here is what I found on the 2.6.5-5 kernel:

kernel 2.6.5-2texstar, with the two latest releases 2.6.5-4Tex and 2.6.5-5Tex I got very low framerates and no hardware acceleration.
And a bit later:
I'm writing this from my PCLOS desktop running Phoenix kernel-2.6.6-rc3 It works for me too , 3D acceleration and all.
:) BrunoPS: I would be hesitating using the Lilo from a beta to boot all the distros on my drive . . . . :)

Dare I ask how you discovered this one? :DJulia :)
:D ...one of my "Debian" distros' is now banished to start from a boot disk. :)

Hi QuintFrom what I understand the 2.6.5-4 and 2.6.5-5 tex kernels had some problems . . . . :(What if you do Alt+F2 and try to start "konsole" from the "run-box" ? Or using synaptic to uninstall Xterm ( not konsole ) and install it again, finishing off with a "update-menus -v" ?Here is what I found on the 2.6.5-5 kernel:
kernel 2.6.5-2texstar, with the two latest releases 2.6.5-4Tex and 2.6.5-5Tex I got very low framerates and no hardware acceleration.
And a bit later:
I'm writing this from my PCLOS desktop running Phoenix kernel-2.6.6-rc3 It works for me too , 3D acceleration and all.
B) BrunoPS: I would be hesitating using the Lilo from a beta to boot all the distros on my drive . . . . :)
Hi Bruno, and thanks very much for the suggestions. :) Have tried what you said, but no luck yet; it's just strange that logging in as "root", and it works fine. :D Oh, well, it was an interesting experiment for me...the "2.4.23 kernel" is fine, either as "root" or "quint"...I'll stick with that. :) Thanks again for your help. ;) I wonder if I apply the "patch" to "2.6.6-rc3 kernel", if that would help. :)

it's just strange that logging in as "root", and it works fine. :thumbsdown: Oh, well, it was an interesting experiment for me...the "2.4.23 kernel" is fine, either as "root" or "quint".
Is there a logic in there ? I am not really sure . . . let me think about this one . . . It can't be a permission problem . . . nor a modules issue . . . . give it some time, either I come up with an idea, either there will be a new updfate that corrects the problem :D ( Or PV6 :'( )The 2.6.6-rc3 might be a good idea . . . : w00t:B) Bruno

it's just strange that logging in as "root", and it works fine. :thumbsdown: Oh, well, it was an interesting experiment for me...the "2.4.23 kernel" is fine, either as "root" or "quint".
Is there a logic in there ? I am not really sure . . . let me think about this one . . . It can't be a permission problem . . . nor a modules issue . . . . give it some time, either I come up with an idea, either there will be a new updfate that corrects the problem :D ( Or PV6 :'( )The 2.6.6-rc3 might be a good idea . . . : w00t:B) Bruno
Thanks, Bruno. :o After some gardening/composting chores, I'm going to re-compile this kernel, just to see what happens. Julia quote:
It's all a big experiment anyway, right??? Have fun trying.
"Truer words, were never spoken..."; thank you, Julia.