Chrome vs Firefox - Browser Wars in Linux

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

I can't do any of the things with Chrome that I can do with Firefox. I have a very customized FF. Chrome doesn't have any of the extensions I use in FF. Plus, Chrome is Google. I don't do anything Google. They are the antichrist. ;) The original open source Chromium is OK, though. Still, can't do what I can do with FF.

My FF:

ffshot041313.th.png

• Like 1

Who uses ffox today? isn't that kinda dead? :shifty:

We got chrome and chromium, works for most of the users :drooling:

Firefox is far from dead in regards to Linux. Still in my opinion the best browser out there. As Eric mentioned, it's extremeley customizable, plenty of add-ons and extensions. I have had my fair share of issues running Linux (99% self-induced) but I can't remember ever having issues with Firefox.

Back on the original subject. This does not come as a surprise to me as Flash removed support from Android a while ago. Hopefully down the road, embedded video and want not does not require a version of flash higher than 11.7

V.T. Eric Layton

Oh, I've had issues with FF (and TB), but they're usually easily fixable, or they're fixed at the dev level relatively quickly. Firefox is the de facto default browser for GNU/Linux.

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/

Chrome may be doing well overall, but the stats include people using MS Win, also. If you only look at Linux stats, use of the Firefox browser is much more prevalent than that of Chrome... or any other browser, for that matter.

++++++

I'm actually going to split off this conversation about browsers because it's interesting and should have its own thread. :yes:

Either Chrome or Chromium here for the past few years. Nothing against Firefox -- I enjoyed using it for years -- but I like Chrome/Chromium better.

Rather than an "evil demon", I consider Google a "Knight in Shinning Armour" that is slaying to true "evil demon", MSFT.

That said, I've tried Chrome several times but alway seem to migrate back to FF.

Edited by lewmur

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, much facetiousness was used when picking the title to this thread. I'm not really saying that we should all jump up and down and cheer for our favorite this or that. I just figured the thread would make for good conversation.

About Google... personally, I have some issues with that company. However, that's just me. Google is much loved by many of the world's Internet users. We each make our choices for our own reasons.

I don't like asparagus, either. ;)

Chrome doesn't have any of the extensions I use in FF.

I would like to know what extensions you are talking about that aren't available in chrome/chromium, but are available in ffox.....

I have chromium, Opera and FF, but tend to use FF the most. I've been using Firefox for years and like how easy it is to set up.

I don't like asparagus, either. ;)
Just tried asparagus for the first time last year and love it, but I hate bananas.
  • Like 1

My main browser is SeaMonkey, with the PaleMoon fork of FF a close second. When going to sites that i need translated I use Chrome, to me it has the easiest to use translation setup. somewhat ironic as Google Chrome to me is very frustrating to use aside from that, way too sparse. Come on Google, just let the user know what the keyboard shortcuts are.

btw: if you think FF is slowing down, try surfing without any extensions and see if it picks up speed. Then prune your extensions back.

I have chromium, Opera and FF, but tend to use FF the most. I've been using Firefox for years and like how easy it is to set up.

Just tried asparagus for the first time last year and love it, but I hate bananas.

I don't know if Eric is talking about OpenSUSE 12.1 but we grow lots of asparagus and they are so good when freshly picked and steamed for a few minutes then eaten with some butter. Yummy!

Edited by réjean
  • Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

I would like to know what extensions you are talking about that aren't available in chrome/chromium, but are available in ffox.....

Here's a list of the extensions I use in FF:

Adblock Plus

BBCodeXtra

BetterPrivacy

Brief

ColorfulTabs

Custom Buttons

DoNotTrackMe

FireGestures

Flashblock

FoxyProxy Standard

Groove Shredder

HTTPS-Everywhere

It's All Text

NoScript

Old Default Image Style

Personas

Research Word

Secure Login

Silvermel and Charamel XT

Smiley Xtra

Speed Dial

Tab Mix Plus

Theme and Font Size Changer

TinyURL Generator

Toolbar Buttons

The ones in bold are must have extensions for me.

Here's a list of the extensions I use in FF:

Wow. I use a grand total of four extensions in Chrome/Chromium: Adblock, Flashbloxk, ForecastFox, and Xmarks.

V.T. Eric Layton

And to be perfectly honest and forthright here, I just picked asparagus because it was the first thing that came to mind. In reality, I've never tried it. I s'pose I should. I'm told it's pretty yummy.

Oh, and I have Seamonkey (excellent browser) and Opera on my systems. I mostly use Seamonkey for its WYSIWYG html composer abilities.

V.T. Eric Layton

Wow. I use a grand total of four extensions in Chrome/Chromium: Adblock, Flashbloxk, ForecastFox, and Xmarks.

Yup. My FF has evolved a bit over the years. I used it a bit in MS Windows, but never really liked it. I did like the original Mozilla browser (which has morphed into Seamonkey), though. FF just never seemed to run well in Windows, as far as I'm concerned. It is much more at home in Linux, though.

I'm now on Chrome 26 in Win7, no shortcuts showing

Interesting. Here, the shortcuts also show up in the menu in Google Chrome 26 and in Chromium 25 (I have both in Debian Wheezy).

Yup. My FF has evolved a bit over the years. I used it a bit in MS Windows, but never really liked it. I did like the original Mozilla browser (which has morphed into Seamonkey), though. FF just never seemed to run well in Windows, as far as I'm concerned. It is much more at home in Linux, though.

I could not agree more. Never liked FF in the Windows environment. Was not nearly as configurable as it is in GNU/Linux.

Guest LilBambi

Firefox will never die! It's still a great browser and in many ways it's still my favorite. I still use it.

I also use Google Chrome too, and Opera.

I have been using Chrome in my Linux and Mac since a long time ago, I even use it on my iPod Touch and Android phone. Just because I can easily sync all those devices.

But I am switching to FF because on my Work Desktop (running Ubuntu) I usually get the "He's dead Jim" message http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1270364

That does not happen to FF, even opening the same pages. So, I think there is a problem with Chrome.

Firefox will never die!

I certainly hope not, even though I rarely use it these days!

Firefox and OpenOffice were what introduced me to the open source world; before then, I had never even heard of Linux.