iMac G5 won't turn on

RobertM

So this morning, I awoke my iMac from its usual nighttime sleep, and it appeared to turn on for a split second (the light on the bottom of my mouse lit up, at least--no display, and I don't remember about the white light on the front of the computer) before abruptly turning off. Subsequent attempts to turn it on have failed.I have run through Apple's troubleshooting article, and after trying some things and examining the diagnostic LEDs, it appears my logic board is not working (with a small hope that it might just be the much less expensive power adapter, although the article doesn't really think it could be).This is a refurbished first-generation 17-in 1.8 GHz iMac G5 with a SuperDrive and 80 GB HD that I bought in July of 2005. I had one of the fans replaced right after receiving the machine due to excessive noise (which, even then, never quite went away, but that's another story).Did I mention that I'm a moron and forgot to get AppleCare? It looks like my only option is a $470 or $700-$900 logic board replacement ... does sound like the thing to do? Of course, I could also save up to just get a new Intel iMac with Front Row, a built-in iSight, and other goodies, over which I have been drooling since their introduction. :D I must say, though that $470-ish repair sounds better than $1000-ish on a "new" refurbished iMac.I should mention I'm in college, so money is tight, especially since on top of all this I also have an iPod (B&W 4G, 20 GB) whose hard drive just broke and an HP laptop whose optical drive has recently ceased to read discs. Both of these are out of warranty, and I get an HD for the iPod for maybe $55 and a new drive for the laptop for, say, $200. I seem to have the magic touch where everything I break becomes larger, more important, and more expensive (there's probably an exponential function somewhere that describes my breakage patterns...). Luckily, I still have that laptop I was talking about, or I'd be without a computer now (I had to replace its HD last year, though, and was content with my main computer, the iMac, for several months before I did) ... but I'm waiting for my Touch of Doom to strike again. Given my pattern, it could be several thousand dollars this time. :)Anyway, does this sound like the best thing to do to everyone (get the logic board replaced ... or maaaaybe just a get a newer iMac)?Thanks!

Guest LilBambi

Sorry to hear about your troubles! :blink: The one site for repairs says:

Part & Installation Included, 6 Months Warranty.Free Diagnostic. No fix, No Pay.2-4 Days Turn-around, Genuine Apple Parts.We either repair orginal board or exchange like-to-like, same cost
Sounds like a win/win situation there. If it doesn't work, then you don't pay and can move on to buy a new one.Just my two cents... :D

You might want to read this. It looks like someone else has had the same issue and Apple took care of it past warranty! I had read something on line about this kind of problem before and saw similar results. I think if I was you, I wouldn't assume they won't help you out if the warranty is expired. :D

Trying to figure the least expensive solution...if you replaced the hd in the HP notebook last year isn't that under some kind of warranty?

You might want to read this. It looks like someone else has had the same issue and Apple took care of it past warranty! I had read something on line about this kind of problem before and saw similar results. I think if I was you, I wouldn't assume they won't help you out if the warranty is expired. :D
Hmmm, thanks! If I had to guess, I'd say it was probably a result of the iMac Repair Extension Program, which unfortunately does not include my iMac (as my serial number does fall within their given ranges). Though I guess I don't really know if the other person's one did either...but the whole situation sounds like it would. I guess it wouldn't hurt to take mine in and get a quote, though, although I'd either have to (doubtfully) do that when I'm at home and very close to an Apple Authorized Service Provider over Easter weekend + Monday, or do it sometime when I'm not but have to go at least an hour to get to an AASP (plus I don't have a car and that would thus require some really nice friends :blink:).Anyway, thanks for the find--I'll look into it!