How can I query my WAN IP address?

mtbparker

Hi again. It's been a while since I've logged in. I'm upto no-good again and was hoping one of you could help.I'm here working on my Dad's home network. I use a remote desktop program to help him maintain/service his computer when I'm back at home. Each time, we go through a bit of a process to establish the connection which includes determining my Dad's WAN IP address.He used to have a DSL modem directly connected into his computer. At that time, it was very easy to determine his WAN IP address simply by hovering over the remote desktop taskbar icon or by typing IPConfig at the command prompt. Now, I've installed a DSL modem/router and it's not as easy. My Dad's not the most computer literate, so I'm wondering if there's 'very simple' way to determine the WAN IP address. I know that there's the option of logging into the router and going to the 'status' page. But I was hoping for perhaps a command-line something that I could turn into a batch file or perhaps something else that I could do in one or two clicks. I'm open to any idea, it doesn't need to be a batch file, but ultimately it needs to be SIMPLE.Anyone got any ideas?Thanks in advance.Tom

BTW How's mom?
:) :blink: Funny you should ask. That's why I set them up with a router. Mom wants to play internet too! Thanks guys. These answers are exactly what I was looking for. Actually, I've used both. The IP2 program is very slick. That's nice because it gives both the LAN and the WAN at the click of a button. I've left a shortcut to that on their desktops. I've also left bookmarks for www.whatismyip.com. That's a good backup if for some reason the servers that IP2 relies on go down.Actually, I've done this to my computer too. I always just logged into my router. This is cool.Thanks.Tom