New Release: PCLinuxOS Preview 4

zox

Texstar just released new version aka Preview 4.This time it has included basic install tool to Hard drive.I know Mandrake came out with their version but apparently you can't install it to HD (you have to be logged in as root).

01-12-2003 at 21:18, Texstar wrote:Hard Drive Installer:A basic hard drive installer has been included in Preview 4. You can find it under Configuration -> Hardware in the menu.
Mirrors:
PCLinuxOS 2K4 Preview 4 Download LinksPCLinuxOS will be available from the following locations. If you would like to see continued development of pclos please consider making a small donation towards this exciting project. Thank you.For those who would like to make a donation by mail.pclinuxonlinePOB 90686Houston, Tx 77290The funds will be used for further development of pclos, purchasing a license for legal dvd playback and even though they havent asked I plan on doing something nice for those who are comitting code to the mklivecd project.Anyway here are the download links!ftp://ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/linux/d...xstar/pclinuxosftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributi...xstar/pclinuxosftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/mirrors/sunsi...xstar/pclinuxosftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribut...xstar/pclinuxos
PCLinux OS Download

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• Owyn

• BarryB

• quint

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the teamwork here. Description, ISO, Checksum. What can I add except I have fired up the burner again. I guess I am going to have to go for more CDs soon. :w00t: <Adam, you will have to explain to Eric why real geeks go through so many CDs but I am sure the eyes would just roll. B) >

Hi All. Just waking up and see I have beaten to the punch. Was planning to announce today after the mirrors were synched.A few comments:1)The harddisk installer is only on the root menu.2)May be problems with ATI or Sis video3)dvd support and msfonts have been removed from the distro due to US legal concerns.The removed components can be found at this source:ftp://ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/linux/d.../pclinuxos/rpms4)The boot options desktop and laptop for Preview 3 have been removed. Preview 4 supports the following boot options

I have removed the laptop and desktop default options however you should be able to typelivecd acpi=off apm=on or livecd acpi=on apm=offYou should now also be able to specify your resolution and bitdepth settings by typing:livecd xres=1024x768 xbpp=16 or livecd xres=800x600 xbpp=24.The only disadvantage to this approach is if you select a setting your hardware cant handle you could end up with a bad xserver setup.Keyboard selection has also been setup giving you the ability to select a different keyboard than us at bootup. This is done by typinglivecd keyb=dvorak  Key Codes are as follows:  al              Albanian am              Armenian (typewriter) am_old          Armenian (old) am_phonetic  Armenian (phonetic) ar              Arabic az              Azerbaidjani (latin) be              Belgian ben          Bengali bg              Bulgarian (BDS) bg_phonetic  Bulgarian (phonetic) br              Brazilian (ABNT-2) bs              Bosnian by              Belarusian ch_de        Swiss (German layout) ch_fr        Swiss (French layout) cz              Czech (QWERTZ) cz_qwerty    Czech (QWERTY) de              German de_nodeadkeys German (no dead keys) dev          Devanagari dk              Danish dvorak          Dvorak (US) dvorak_no    Dvorak (Norwegian) dvorak_se    Dvorak (Swedish) ee              Estonian es              Spanish fi              Finnish fr              French ge_la        Georgian ("Latin" layout) ge_ru        Georgian ("Russian" layout) gr              Greek gr_pl        Greek (polytonic) guj          Gujarati gur          Gurmukhi hr              Croatian hu              Hungarian ie              Irish il              Israeli il_phonetic  Israeli (Phonetic) ir              Iranian is              Icelandic it              Italian iu              Inuktitut jp              Japanese 106 keys kan          Kannada kr              Korean keyboard la              Latin American lao          Laotian lt_b            Lithuanian "number row" QWERTY lt              Lithuanian AZERTY (old) lt_new          Lithuanian AZERTY (new) lt_p            Lithuanian "phonetic" QWERTY lv              Latvian mal          Malayalam mk              Macedonian mm              Myanmar (Burmese) mng          Mongolian (cyrillic) mt              Maltese (UK) mt_us        Maltese (US) nl              Dutch no              Norwegian ori          Oriya pl2          Polish (qwertz layout) pl              Polish (qwerty layout) pt              Portuguese qc              Canadian (Quebec) ro2          Romanian (qwertz) ro              Romanian (qwerty) ru              Russian ru_yawerty      Russian (Phonetic) sapmi        Saami (norwegian) sapmi_sefi      Saami (swedish/finnish) se              Swedish si              Slovenian sk_qwerty    Slovakian (QWERTY) sk              Slovakian (QWERTZ) sr              Serbian (cyrillic) syr_p        Syriac (phonetic) syr          Syriac tel          Telugu th              Thai keyboard tj              Tajik keyboard tml          Tamil (ISCII-layout) tr_f            Turkish (traditional "F" model) tr_q            Turkish (modern "Q" model) tscii        Tamil (Typewriter-layout) ua              Ukrainian uk              UK keyboard us_intl      US keyboard (international) us              US keyboard uz              Uzbek (cyrillic) vn              Vietnamese "numeric row" QWERTY yu              Yugoslavian (latin) Pen Drives: If you have a usb pen drive and it is plugged in at boot up you should be able to type livecd home=usb and it will use this device for your user directories. This needs to be tested.

After downloading and testing "Mandrake Move" yesterday, today was the day for Texstar . . . . . Well, Texstar wins hands down this round ! 200% better !Far more programs included ( Evolution and Firebird ), smoother boot, sound out of the box . . .everything works !Testing the HD install at this moment . . . will let you know how this ended . . . :(:thumbsup: Bruno

Thanks for the feedback. I tried both today but on a dinosaur that had too little memory (64MB P2 300Mhz laptop). That means I did not get to really test them out but I had fun trying. Will test them both tonight.

Okay . . tried the HD install . . . first time it looked like it finished after step 4 of 6 . . . . . and I got a kernel panic booting ( after inserting the lines in Mandrake Lilo and copying the files to /boot/texstar )Second time it went all the way to step 6 of 6 . . . I did lilo overwrite the MBR ( would restore that later ) and it started to boot . . but I did not get X It said during boot it configured a nVidiacard and asked if I wanted to change that to savage, I said yes because the Test system has no nVidia, but a savage, after that a lot of flickering and a prompt . . logged in as root and did startx . . no go ! Tried to configure X by hand . . no go . . . . Trying a third install now . . . . will post later about the next stage of my adventures . . . :thumbsup: Bruno

There appears to be problems with the HD installer hwdetect after install. Also saw other report of problems with Lilo.This feature is very new (barely made it to Preview 4). Will have more for you shortly.

Brought to you by PCLinuxOS Preview 4. I decided to do a boot at work. It was a breeze. I like having Evolution. Firebird works for the browser as well. It makes me feel like I am at home with the Mandrake look and feel! I do miss the quick starter for Open Office. I like it! I was able to show it to another staff member and demonstrate how "easy" Linux is to her. It even has the Gimp. What more could I ask for from a live CD? The only every day program for me that is not on the CD is Galeon and I can do fine with Firebird. :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear of your trouble, Bruno. :( I completed the "hdinstall" last night - no problems at all (my video card is a cheap nVidia). This has been a wonderful LiveCD, and (so far) a great hdinstall. :lol: I tried something "new", when I added it my Mandrake LILO: I just copied verbatim what was in the PCLinuxOS' lilo.conf...booted right up, asked a few questions about newly-found hardware, then right to a graphical log-in. This is great! :thumbsup:

There appears to be problems with the HD installer hwdetect after install. Also saw other report of problems with Lilo.This feature is very new (barely made it to Preview 4). Will have more for you shortly.
I know Owyn . . and I´m not complaining :thumbsup: . . . . . just would like to crack this little beauty . . . :( :DB) Bruno

UPDATE: Install no 3: finished half way stage 4 of 6 again . . . . :(Started no 4 . . last chance, if this one fails I wait for the next version and will only run it Live . . . :thumbsup: Bruno

UPDATE: Install no 3: finished half way stage 4 of 6 again . . . . :(Started no 4 . . last chance, if this one fails I wait for the next version and will only run it Live . . . :( Bruno
I'm at 4 now too...we need a holding breath smiley..biting nails.. :thumbsup: that will do..amazed and confused.Ya know this looks alot like the installer for Mepis...

LOL Barry ! . . at 17% now . . . . :thumbsup: ( What I noticed at no 2 was that the overall process was finished before the copy files process . . . . . so the copy files never got really finished, it was however the only one that came to stage 6 ):( Bruno

ut oh... we have 0% processor activity..and no installer splash screen.. >_< ..Round 2...Geez bruno...I'm a copy cat too...........Yikes

Had that too several times ( did not even count those ) . . . just start again Barry . . . . the installer has to be luke warm . . . a cold installer is no good . . :lol:>_< Bruno

Well round 2 fell apart...still warming up that installer >_< B) ...I swear this looks like the mepis installer.........but hey..they are probably related..and they talk about us southerners :lol: :lol:

Barry . . you will like this one . . . . I was at 100% overall process . . . . it says "creating /etc/fstab" and stops there . . no more movement . . . . as I go over and look at hda7 ( where all the files should be: EMPTY ! . . Totally empty !I´m restoring my lilo and will boot Drake 9.2 . . >_< Bruno

Well Julia, it runs great as Live version . . . . it´s a brilliant Live CD . . . . and I will just wait for the next version for the HD install . . . the partition is there, waiting for Texstar . . . . :lol:>_< Bruno

Ok which screenshot would you like..this if I get it working...or of me choking my computer >_< we're at 53% on round 4...round 3 went no-where(But it went there fast) :lol:

Adam, you will have to explain to Eric why real geeks go through so many CDs but I am sure the eyes would just roll. >_<
Most likely.I am downloading now. :lol: :lol: