How expandable is Shuttle XPC?

daihard

Hi.I have a question about the Shuttle XPC computer that I'm currently using. It is an SN85G4V3. Here's the current spec:CPU: Athlon 64 3700+RAM: Corsair ValueSelect PC3200 RAM (2 x 1GB)HDD: Maxtor SATA 200GB HDD (7,200 rpm)DVD: NEC IDE ND-3540A (DVD burner)AGP: PNY Verto GeForce 6200 (DVI + D-SUB + S-Video)I am thinking about adding another hard disk. There's space for it. My only concern is whether or not it's going to consume too much power for the box. Its power supply is not powerful - at merely 240W. Do you think another hard disk would overload the system?TIA,Dai

Here is a site that will calculate your power supply:PS CalculateI think another concern would be heat. :thumbsup: Those are awfully small cases.
Thanks for the quick reply. I calculated the total power consumption using the site. It came up to 224W, though the page does not take into account any hard disks. I wonder how much power one SATA hard disk requires?I agree with you about the potential heat problem. I should consider it a bit more.
Replace the smaller drive with a larger one... Like a 400 or 500 GB drive.
That's an option, but I'd like to avoid doing it since it would involve re-installing the OS. Thansk for the feedback, though.Dai Edited by daihard

Yikes, Rons that page comes up blank for me! The links work, I just get a plain white screen where the info should be. I guess it doesn't like linux and FF. I revisited it, still in linux but I fired up Konqueror and I can see. So FF can't render that page for me.

Edited by zlim

Yikes, Rons that page comes up blank for me! The links work, I just get a plain white screen where the info should be. I guess it doesn't like linux and FF. I revisited it, still in linux but I fired up Konqueror and I can see. So FF can't render that page for me.
The page came up fine for me, using FF 1.0.7 with Fedora Core 4. Yes, I missed the hard disk section. I re-did the calculation and came up with 259W, which is already more than my PS can handle! This being a Shuttle box I can substract 3W for the CPU fan, but that won't help much.