Hard drive error on a Dell

Ed_P

After defraging a Dell XP machine I attempted to partition it to allow me to backup it up before installing SP2. Partition Magic, 7.0, failed with an error, which I don't remember. Since then I am unable to boot the hd to XP and unable to boot the XP cd, even after changing the BIOS to put the CD ROM before the hd.Running the Dell diagnostics I get;Read test -- error code 0F00:0244Verify test - error code 0F00:1A44Msg block 22847131 Uncorrectable data errorRunning Partition Magic's Check for Error's on the NTFS partition I getCritical 46 Seek errorIf I try to boot from a XP Recovery floppy I get:<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt.The machine is a Dell Dimension 2300, the hd is a 30GB Maxtor, RAM is 384MB. Suggestions?? Ideas?? Comments??

Well, things have improved. I was finally able to get the pc to boot to the XP CD, ran Recovery Console and was able to run CHKDSK /R which found a problem and corrected it. So hd is once again booting XP.I may follow thru with the Maxtor Diagnostics later. At this point I'm leaning to it being a Partition Magic caused error.

You may be right nlinecomputers. I ran the Maxtor utility and it fixed a problem also. (quiet -ct- <g>)I've since backed up the hd using Ghost and am testing the Rescue disk portion at this point.

• 1 year later...
igorathepsychowoman
After defraging a Dell XP machine I attempted to partition it to allow me to backup it up before installing SP2. Partition Magic, 7.0, failed with an error, which I don't remember. Since then I am unable to boot the hd to XP and unable to boot the XP cd, even after changing the BIOS to put the CD ROM before the hd.Running the Dell diagnostics I get;Read test -- error code 0F00:0244Verify test - error code 0F00:1A44Msg block 22847131 Uncorrectable data errorRunning Partition Magic's Check for Error's on the NTFS partition I getCritical 46 Seek errorIf I try to boot from a XP Recovery floppy I get:<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt.The machine is a Dell Dimension 2300, the hd is a 30GB Maxtor, RAM is 384MB. Suggestions?? Ideas?? Comments??

igorathepsychowoman

thanks for your question. i see no reason for sarcastic answer posts to any question, as i can see below. i got precisely the same errors you mention in your first post when i ran a dell diagnostics disk to check my hard drive. they were both in my same message block (different from your message block), on both the read test and the verify test. this is why i am sure i got these errors on a tiny sector of the hard drive: 1. all i did was download one chess game from the net, paying for it.2. then i played it without updating the dell BIOS and downloading microsoft's newest directx updates.3. then as i played, i got a nIVDIA heat warning that told me that i was starting to reach the heat threshold for the video card. so i stopped playing the game. 4. as a result of this, i went to dell chat to see what may have occurred. all i really wanted to learn was what happened in the nIVDIA warning. however, dell chatter reps do not know anything about what they tell you.5. they made a big deal out of this and told me to run the diagnostics. they said that when i did, i was to contact them again, so i did.6. then (telling them that i had, per their directive, updated the BIOS and (per the game's instructions) updated the directx), dell told me that i had to use a link provided by them to me that was regarding using the (did this):xp professional restoration disk to run a chkdsk /r !!!7. then i got all bent out of shape because obviously dell reps had not even read the link directives, which document was written back in 2004! 8. based on two sentences contained within that document, that they had obviously even read, there was a risk with chkdsk /r that could make me lose all data contained on this standalone that 5 users use (i am administrator and they are limited users). 9. this entire procedure with dellchat took me over seven hours, because i asked the reps to read over what they had sent to me (in the link) as well as a supporting paper about loss of data. 10. dell continued and continued and continued to tell me, without reading its own 2004 document link, that there was no way that i'd lose any data; however, the document itself said i could lose all of it, then:10b. have to partition my hard drive;10c. format it;10d. reload the entire OS;10e. download each and every program that i ever downloaded from the net;10f. get all the patches and updates that i have taken to wins xp and office 2003 AGAIN;10g. get every ****** piece of software i ever purchased and load them all over again!!!now then, here is the drift: there is nothing wrong with the hard drive unless you get serious errors while using your box in a normal fasion (standalone, xp OSes). only backup data that is irreplaceable in a situation as the above.don't even believe all consultants, because a lot of them will lie to you in order to get their hourly fee. when you know what many of us know, beware of false information. and, no question is dumb--but your trusted reps could be. :lol: