Should Bruno Test Gentoo?

teacher

Should the Professor Penguin Bruno install Gentoo rather than snubbing his nose at it?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Our favorite penguin has been guilty of avoiding Gentoo. He has snubbed it without ever trying it. What do you think he should do at this time?

NEVER !!!Gentoo is for snobs ! . . Gentoo users behave as snobs, they only run it because they want to be different from "regular" Linux users . . . they made Gentoo into a status-symbol and that makes them feel better. ( Have a good look around on the Gentoo forums and you will see what I mean )Gentoo is not a normal distribution where you learn things you can use in other linux distro's too: The things you learn with Gentoo are only applicable on Gentoo. Gentoo users like that because that makes them feel different and it adds to the snob-status: look at us, we emerge . . . :PSo: No way I will ever run Gentoo ! :thumbsdown: :pirate: :'( Bruno

Gentoo is not a normal distribution where you learn things you can use in other linux distro's too: The things you learn with Gentoo are only applicable on Gentoo. Gentoo users like that because that makes them feel different and it adds to the snob-status: look at us, we emerge . . . :PSo: No way I will ever run Gentoo !  :'(  :devil: :hmm: Bruno
That is where you are wrong Bruno.I take what I learn in gentoo and apply it to other distros as well. I have learned what different files do and how to edit them. I am very comfortable with the /etc/*.conf files now. I have looked in my different distros and you know what? They are there in all of them and pretty much the same.As far as emerging is concerned, it is the same as using apt-get, synaptic, or any command line download tool. It just means that instead of using apt-get something you use emerge something. :) I think you will be surprised if you ever give it a try. I would compare it more to Linux From Scratch than anything else. Except it is not that hard. A simple -k allows it to take care of dependenices just like apt-get or synaptic takes care of dependencies. I do enjoy being able to compare the updates in the /etc files and seeing what is different and making my own decision on installs whether to accept or decline. I am not a snob!!! I just think you can not judge something until you try it for yourself. :pirate: Besides you mentioned it first today. :thumbsdown:

Well, maybe I was in a bashing mood yesterday, on one thing you folks are right: the Gentoo people on the All Things Linux are no snobs. . . . . But still: no Gentoo for me ;)B) BrunoPS: Jan, you do not have to dine alone, Teach is an expert on fine foods . . :D

Linux From Scratch is harder! You have to run the individual commands of make ./configure etc. and know what order to install things. Gentoo takes care of dependencies!

PS: Jan, you do not have to dine alone, Teach is an expert on fine foods . . :D
Thanks, Bruno, I am sure I'll get plenty of support here from Julia. I will take the plunge if only to satisfy my curiosity about Gentoo.Jan

NEVER !!!Gentoo is for snobs ! . . Gentoo users behave as snobs, they only run it because they want to be different from "regular" Linux users . . . they made Gentoo into a status-symbol and that makes them feel better. ( Have a good look around on the Gentoo forums and you will see what I mean )Gentoo is not a normal distribution where you learn things you can use in other linux distro's too: The things you learn with Gentoo are only applicable on Gentoo.Gentoo users like that because that makes them feel different and it adds to the snob-status: look at us, we emerge . . .So: No way I will ever run Gentoo !Bruno
WTG BRUNO I didnt even vote in this one sided poll since there was no options for bruno to make up his own mind on the subject so my vote is ! Bruno for president B) :D

That is where you are wrong Bruno.I take what I learn in gentoo and apply it to other distros as well.  I have learned what different files do and how to edit them.  I am very comfortable with the /etc/*.conf files now.  I have looked in my different distros and you know what?  They are there in all of them and pretty much the same.As far as emerging is concerned, it is the same as using apt-get, synaptic, or any command line download tool.  It just means that instead of using apt-get something you use emerge something. :o  I think you will be surprised if you ever give it a try. I would compare it more to Linux From Scratch than anything else.  Except it is not that hard.  A simple -k allows it to take care of dependenices just like apt-get or synaptic takes care of dependencies.  I do enjoy being able to compare the updates in the /etc files and seeing what is different and making my own decision on installs whether to accept or decline.  I am not a snob!!!  I just think you can not judge something until you try it for yourself.  :hmm:  Besides you mentioned it first today.  :D
B) I agree - have learned about editing those files. I have also learned more about modules and learned more about my hardware. I'm learning more about the kernel. The other distros do all that work for you - yes it is nice to boot into a distro that just makes everything work, but learning how to make those things work is a huge benefit. I imagin Bruno already knows how all that works, but it's all a learning experience for me. I like to learn and the more I learn the more I can understand and fix my breakages or even avoid breakage.I still want to do a 64bit system tho, once things are more stable I will.

One sided????What fun would it have been to give him the "I don't like it and I'm not going to try it option?
you are orobably right teacher ( about the fun part ) but i still say it is one sided ;) :angry2: :D B)

Try it first, then complain about it. That's how my experiences have always gone with miserable operating systems like Windows and Red Hat B)(I'm eventually planning to try Debian and Gentoo and all those others... just don't have the time and hard disk space at the moment!)

Linux From Scratch is harder!  You have to run the individual commands of make ./configure etc. and know what order to install things.  Gentoo takes care of dependencies!
You've never tried LFS have yuh teach tell the truth :lol: The LFS manual tells you exactly what order to install pkgs and I have done it three times and never ever had to worry about dependencies. LFS manual guides you step by step so dependencies aren't a problem. LFS is not hard no way. Lenghty yes hard no.
I agree - have learned about editing those files. I have also learned more about modules and learned more about my hardware. I'm learning more about the kernel.The other distros do all that work for you - yes it is nice to boot into a distro that just makes everything work, but learning how to make those things work is a huge benefit. I imagin Bruno already knows how all that works, but it's all a learning experience for me. I like to learn and the more I learn the more I can understand and fix my breakages or even avoid breakage.
Agree with the sentiment but again LFS is the way to go for the ultimate experience when it comes to learning Linux. :P ;)

Yes I have tried Linux From Scratch. I got to about page 80 and quit. I think Bruno was getting tired of my e-mails with questions of things I should have already known. I was not ready for it at the time. :lol: I know the directions tell you the order to do it. I figure the two are proably pretty close to each other. I know my boot times and everything with Gentoo are about what Bruno was getting with his LFS install. It leaves my other half dozen distros in the dust there. I have it really loaded down at the moment and am still experimenting. I am waiting for the next LFS version to come out before I play with it again. I am in a bit better shape to try it now than when I tried a year ago. :P