Back in Windows

Neil P

Seeing as I broke some Linux installs earlier today, I'm stuck (alright, Windows isn't all that bad...it doesn't bother me too much) with WinXP for a little bit.My question is this: I have tons of stuff on here that I don't use. What are the recommended steps for clearing out an install? Should I get a registry cleaner? I'm sure the uninstallers won't all do their jobs correctly.Any other suggestions on maintenence that I can do while I'm back?

James M. Fisher

Some basic "Computer Health" steps are outlined here.I would use the Add/Remove app in Control Panel and uninstall programs one at a time. Then check to see if any folders are left behind (you may have to reboot first).Finally, if you want to use a Reg Cleaner, try EasyCleaner.

James M. Fisher

Yes, the author of that page is a big Norton Utilities fan (as he states) and believe me he has taken a fair share of flak over it too! B) To each his own, I guess....

StarEnhancer

I recommend you a program called Advanced Uninstaller Pro which I use to uninstall software.It can uninstall several programs at a time, if you want to - just check what you want to uninstall, and press the uninstall button.The program also contains a registry cleaner which seems to be quite good and a registry defragmenter.There are also other interesting tools, such as a Internet Explorer toolbar and plugin uninstaller, which can be used to get rid of spyware. I like this because, unlike in other anti-spyware programs, I'm in control and I know what I uninstall. :)The features for cleaning the browsing and program history in Advanced Uninstaller are, in my opinion, unmatched.Also, no system should be without an up to date AdAware program. It simply ROCKS at removing spyware, and it's free.Another excellent software which I recommend for ANY computer is DiskKeeper from Executive Software (don't know the link, sorry, I bought it in boxed form). It's a good disk defragmenter.