58 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Neil P

Neil P

Resident Pyromaniac

• Forum Moderators
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 01:39 AM

NRD, on Jul 24 2004, 03:21 PM, said:

Good Luck! Wishing you nothing but problem free, screaming fast computing  :)  :o
Thanks!I've got a friend who lives up the road, he is more than willing to help me put it together (hes done it before), so it should be alright.I'm just trying to get this slack iso downloaded....bittorrent is taking forever  :hmm:

#52 OFFLINE   NRD

NRD

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 06:43 PM

steeler fan for life, on Jul 25 2004, 12:37 AM, said:

I've got a friend who lives up the road, he is more than willing to help me put it together (hes done it before), so it should be alright.
Just take your time and you should be fine :whistling:  Just remeber one very important thing...Since you bought a Retail Processor, make sure you remove any protective tape   that made be covering the Thermal Pad on the bottom of the heatsink.  Forgetting it is almost a sure way to fry your new processor.If your going to use a different Heatsink/Fan than the one included, I would get some ceramique from arctic silver as the thermal paste. Its not conductive, so you won't short the processor if you apply too much by accident.Good Luck  :whistling:

#53 OFFLINE   SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 07:22 PM

Sounds like fun! I can't wait for everything to arrive :whistling:!

#54 OFFLINE   martinultima

martinultima

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 01:25 PM

Too bad you didn't decide to just get two separate drives... I myself have a Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW drive in my Dell computer (one of the many upgrades I've given it :thumbsup: ) and have never had a problem with it.  I use it quite frequently, too - works beautifully on Windows, even better on Linux :">  Oh well - DVD burners sound cool too.(I'm so jealous - the only system I've built myself is an old 486 that I really got in one piece, then took apart and re-built!  Of course, the next computer I own will be built with my own two hands... :clap2:

#55 OFFLINE   BarryB

BarryB

Prince Distro

• Forum Moderators
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 03:34 PM

NeilLooks  like a great system..I think you'll like the results.. ;) I know I don't regret doing a AMD64 system(and I really have to give credit to you folk that build your own..I just don't have that kind of fortitude.....same reason I can't golf...no patience!!! B) Heck I get impatient changing a DVD..muchless a DVD drive) :P Anyway...enjoy...and get a good set of seatbelts!!!!!!!!!FYI..I have found Mandrake 64 to be a bit faster(especially on boot-up) than SuSE 9.1 Pro...and Slack 10 on par with Drake..there are still some quirks in the 64bit distros...(I've had some issues with Fedora 64bit, and fedora based 64bit distros haven't had a successful load yet...but it's probably me and not the distro)SuSe loaded the Nvidia driver, I haven't had luck with Mandrake yet..(it's a known issue) and I could probably do it wilth a kernel upgrade..but haven't done so. Mandrake saw my entire network and was seen...Suse see's the network, but doesn't show-up itself....(still have to figured that one out..again it's probably me)Getting DVD's to run (encrypted ones) in Suse has not worked....and isn't good in Mandrake either...non-encrypted are  fine.  Didn't try in slack
Barry

Right when you think you know the answers..somebody goes and changes the questions
Registered Linux user #303103

#56 OFFLINE   Neil P

Neil P

Resident Pyromaniac

• Forum Moderators
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 04:40 PM

Hmm, maybe I'll look into Mandrake and SUSE's 64 bit offerrings.....newegg sent me an email yesterday, one of two boxes of stuff is already shipped! Everything but the case and the monitor should be here no later than Thursday at 4:30PM....:w00tx100:Neil

#57 OFFLINE   BarryB

BarryB

Prince Distro

• Forum Moderators
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 04:42 PM

Cool...Hope your building soon!!
Barry

Right when you think you know the answers..somebody goes and changes the questions
Registered Linux user #303103

#58 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 05:25 PM

steeler fan for life, on Jul 26 2004, 04:38 PM, said:

Hmm, maybe I'll look into Mandrake and SUSE's 64 bit offerrings.....newegg sent me an email yesterday, one of two boxes of stuff is already shipped! Everything but the case and the monitor should be here no later than Thursday at 4:30PM....:w00tx100:Neil
Hardware build party! :P  Just remember if you need help building this beast you know where we are! ;)

'freedom...is actually the reason that men live together in political organisations at all. Without it, political life as such would be meaningless. The raison d'Être of politics is freedom, and its field of experience is action'.
My Flickr Photo Blog Posted Image
del.icio.us bookmarks Posted Image

#59 OFFLINE   FuzzButt

FuzzButt

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 07:48 PM

Well that's a lot of posts.Here's my 2 cents. Everything goes out of date at some point. Fast as **** PC's are only fast for a short time. Build it to last. Buy quality. With that said skip the 80GB HGST drives and go with WD's or Seagate 120GB SATA's. I have had to many failures from Maxtor and IBM/HGST to tell a budget minded person to use them. Go with ATI's 9700 or 9800 series cards. They are coming into a great price point now that the next generation cards are out. I would drop in a TV tuner also. This way you can do PVR functions and other Multimedia stuff on it. If cost is an option then 512MB is really all you need. Skip the dual drive thing unless they are both going to be burners. Get the DVD+RW at any speed first. This out weighs the cost of a standalone DVD and CDRW. With a better drive and a TV out card you can skip the DVD player and VCR in your Dorm. Finally go Intel all the way. Intel chip set is a must. Use a P4 in the 2.6 to 3GHz area. This is going to be your only PC so make it relieable. Yes AMD's are good and fast but stibility comes first on a lone PC. Finally get good software packages for it. Since you are building from scratch get the OEM versions of what ever you need while you are buying all the parts. I know you can get the student copies but why bother.Good luck in the fall at U of P.Chris

Western slope La Salle Mtns, Utah Taken May 16, 2004 by Me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users