The Best VPN Services for 2019

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Pretty much. That's why they were my 1st and only VPN, so far.

I think the ProtonVPN is pretty cool, but why change boats in midstream. I'm happy with PIA.

securitybreach

Pretty much. That's why they were my 1st and only VPN, so far.

I think the ProtonVPN is pretty cool, but why change boats in midstream. I'm happy with PIA.

Right and even though they ranked Nord as the best, I found it quite slow in my tests before moving to PIA. I get about 90% of my bandwidth with PIA. I get FIber internet this weekend so I will see how PIA measures up with gigabit internet.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes, PIA is fast.... even with the 256 encryption that I use. I don't really notice any loss of speed, except on a couple of their exit servers.

• Like 1

I installed Opera on 2 of my android devices. It comes with a VPN and if I surf at a hotspot, I want to be safe.

On the phone since I have 5GB of monthly data, I generally use the cell plan rather than the wifi if I'm out.

securitybreach

“Using Opera VPN to protect your privacy is like trusting a wolf to mind the sheep” – learn what this means in our Opera VPN review

Tons of cons https://vpnpro.com/v...era-vpn-review/

And it doesn't pass DNS Leak tests so you aren't private or safe: https://vpnpro.com/v...era-vpn-review/

Personally, I think its almost as bad as thinking that you could trust Facebook's VPN. There isn't a free VPN out there that is good. Most are slow and sell your data as they have no incentive to not sell it.

• Like 1

abarbarian

Anyone heard of this new offering from Purism ? Whilst the VPN they offer is part of their paid for suite it seems pretty interesting.

Purism Launches Librem One, a Suite of Privacy-Protecting, No-Track, No-Ad Apps and Services

Purism has just launched an online service it has dubbed "Librem One", which is, as Purism calls it, a "suite of apps and services designed to provide users with convenient alternatives to Big Tech products".

There are two components of Librem One that are offered free of cost (or, at least, choose your own price): Chat and Social Media.

The chat component—the aptly named "Librem Chat"—is built on Matrix (which I am also a big fan of) and includes end-to-end encrypted text chat plus audio and video chatting. And, since it's built on Matrix, it has access to all the other users on Matrix out there. Which may not be as big of a user pool as, say, Hangouts or something, but the user base is growing. Quickly.

Then there are the services that aren't part of the free (in cost) tier, the ones you'll need to pay to gain access to: Librem Mail (encrypted email), Librem Tunnel (a VPN service), and, according to the Purism folks, they have plans to add a few additional services to Librem One in the future:

• Encrypted cloud storage.
  • Encrypted long-term backup.
  • Encrypted contact management.
  • A cryptographic payment system.
  • A pay-as-you-go phone service.

Even in its current state (chat, email, VPN and social), this provides an enticing alternative to the "big" services out there (like Google) for a good chunk of the core functionality.

On their home site they offer different bundles,

https://librem.one/#bundles

$14.99/mo

Family-Pack Full: Chat, Social, Mail, Tunnel, Files, Backup, etc.

Get Everything for 5 people!

Librem Chat, Librem Social, Librem Mail, Librem Tunnel (VPN) now. And get automatically included Librem Files, Librem Backup, Librem Contacts, Librem Pay, and Librem Dial later. With more services added all-the-time.

$14.99/mo

$134.91/yr

The family bundle seems like a decent deal to me if you have a family or a close circle of friends.

I looked around for some reviews of the Tunnel service but could find none, probably as it is a very new offering. So I am not sure how easy it is to use with a different os than Purism OS.

Also on offer is their Librem Key which is similar to the Yubikey.

https://www.linuxjournal.com/content/purism-librem-key

As with any new product Librem One may need some time to iron out any bugs and time to streamline their offerings but it certainly looks very promising.

:breakfast:

• Like 1

securitybreach

Well my thing is that since VPNs route all of your network traffic through them, I need something that has been tested to be secure, private and trustworthy. Most people do not realize the trust you are giving when you go with a provider. They could easily steal any of your credentials and record everything that you are doing. That is the reason that I would never trust a free provider. That have zero incentive to not sell your data to the highest bidder, plus most are very slow and some even infect the "clients" with malware.

Private Internet Access (PIA) has been tested twice in US Federal courtrooms twice and could not give the US Government any information about the subscriber.

Private Internet Access’ “No-Logging” Claims Proven True Again in Court

https://restorepriva...nternet-access/

I have bought and tested many VPN services over the years and they all have their ups and downs (speed, price, DNS leaks, etc.) but all in all, PIA provides the best service at the cost. Plus it's mostly always very fast.

Ha, I sound like a salesman for PIA but it's all true. B)

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

PIA definitely does have their poop together. I have no need to change. I did my homework in the beginning and chose PIA from that time on. Plus, I've been surprised, elated, overjoyed by their fabulous customer/tech support. They have some smart young whipper-snappers manning (womaning) their help desks!

Just consider me the "other" PIA salesman here at Scot's. ;)

• Like 2

securitybreach

PIA definitely does have their poop together. I have no need to change. I did my homework in the beginning and chose PIA from that time on. Plus, I've been surprised, elated, overjoyed by their fabulous customer/tech support. They have some smart young whipper-snappers manning (womaning) their help desks!

Just consider me the "other" PIA salesman here at Scot's. ;)

Nice, I never had to call their helpdesk but they are great.