WAN Miniport with yellow exclimation mark

zillah

Hi ExpertsI have got same problem as it has been described in the link belowhttp://forums.whatthetech.com/No_LAN_Wan_M...upt_t96455.htmlI guess I managed to delete Trojan but I have got this problem with the device manager, please see the snap shot belowhttp://i48.tinypic.com/214yqe8.jpgI tried this forumhttp://forum.notebookreview.com/networking...iport-ip-2.htmlBut I could not get it fixedAny advice from where should I start ?Thanks

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zillah

• Tushman

• lewmur

• goretsky

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi ExpertsI have got same problem as it has been described in the link belowhttp://forums.whatthetech.com/No_LAN_Wan_M...upt_t96455.htmlI guess I managed to delete Trojan but I have got this problem with the device manager, please see the snap shot belowhttp://i48.tinypic.com/214yqe8.jpgI tried this forumhttp://forum.notebookreview.com/networking...iport-ip-2.htmlBut I could not get it fixedAny advice from where should I start ?Thanks
Did you try deleting all of the network devices in Device Manager and then rebooting? That way Windows will reinstall all of the drivers and you should be OK.

Did you try deleting all of the network devices in Device Manager and then rebooting? That way Windows will reinstall all of the drivers and you should be OK.
Yes i did but I could not fix the problem.

The first order of business to make sure the trojan has been deleted. Some are known to replicate themselves (under a new file name) even if you delete the first instance. Then work on your driver problem.Have you done a thorough scan with spybot/ a-squared/ trojan hunter etc? And I wouldn't rely on the results of just one scanner - boot up in to safe mode and scan with all of them.

Yes i did but I could not fix the problem.
Did Windows find the drivers during the reboot or did you get a message saying it couldn't find them? Typically, you have to have the driver CD in order for them to install properly.

Did Windows find the drivers during the reboot or did you get a message saying it couldn't find them?
I have just realized in the safe mode drivers look okay I mean there is no yellow exclamation mark.And I was able to uninstall the first one and second on in the list but whenever I tried to uninstall the rest a message pops up :
Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to boot up the computer

Then I used the network driver which is Braodcom to uninstall the driver but still no successThanks

Edited by zillah

Did Windows find the drivers during the reboot or did you get a message saying it couldn't find them? Typically, you have to have the driver CD in order for them to install properly.
Just because Windows has the stock drivers for Broadcom doesn't necessarily mean it's the right one for his motherboard. Windows only supplies certain drivers. More than likely if the network drivers are on the southbridge chipset, Zillah will not have to install any extra drivers. If not, then she will have to download the correct one from the motherboard website. This is especially true for wireless devices. I don't know about Win 7, but with XP/Vista - wireless drivers are NOT automatically provided.Whether the drivers on a installation CD or downloaded from the manufacturer's website doesn't matter one bit in this case. All that is required is for the correct drivers to be presented.Of course all of this is ASSUMING the system is clean of trojans/viruses.
Then I used the network driver which is Braodcom to uninstall the driver but still no successThanks
Zillah, why are you trying to uninstall those devices. Have you done as I suggested? Edited by Tushman

Zillah, why are you trying to uninstall those devices. Have you done as I suggested?
Hi TushmanSorry I overlooked your first reply.Although i had scanned the system in the safe mode with many utilities , i am doing it again in the safe mode as well. So far nothing suspicious was detectedTherefore if nothing was detected and still there is yellow exclamation mark then my next step is to uninstall those drivers ,,,,,Isn't it ?.

Hi TushmanSorry I overlooked your first reply.Although i had scanned the system in the safe mode with many utilities , i am doing it again in the safe mode as well. So far nothing suspicious was detectedTherefore if nothing was detected and still there is yellow exclamation mark then my next step is to uninstall those drivers ,,,,,Isn't it ?.
Zillah,I still don't understand why you're trying to uninstall the wireless NIC. Is it because you don't have a wireless card? or is it because you trying to get Windows to reinstall it? Typically with wireless NICs you have to download the drivers separately from the manufacturer's website as windows will NOT automatically supply the correct drivers.What is the make & model of your motherboard? And what operating system are you running?

Hi Tushman

I still don't understand why you're trying to uninstall the wireless NIC.
I do not have Wireless card at all I am trying to uninstall them because of the exclamation yellow mark,,,,,,,,,to my understanding there is something wrong because of exclamation mark,,,,,,isn't it ? It is Desktop Dell Optiplex GX620Thanks

Hello,Have you tried downloading the latest set of device drivers for the NIC from Broadcom's support web site and using them to update the drivers in Microsoft Windows? If so, did that make any difference?Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Hi TushmanI do not have Wireless card at all I am trying to uninstall them because of the exclamation yellow mark,,,,,,,,,to my understanding there is something wrong because of exclamation mark,,,,,,isn't it ? It is Desktop Dell Optiplex GX620Thanks
A yellow exclamation mark means that a device needs attention or there is a problem with the device. Generally speaking, a missing driver or a corrupt driver would cause that warning to pop up. In your case, since you don't have a wireless NIC, I understand now why you're trying to uninstall it. First of all, you should know that ghost devices in XP are no longer a problem like they used to back in the old Win95/98 days.Secondly, the reason why you're not able to remove those devices is because there is a value stored in the registry key that prohibits user action (such as deleting/removing) the item from the device manager. Before you go through the trouble of mucking around in the registry, can you confirm if the computer is able to make an internet connection without any problems? If so, I would leave well enough alone and focus more attention on making sure the system is clean of trojans.If seeing that yellow exclamation mark in the device manager really bothers you, open up the registry editor and select the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive. You don't need to expand the key, just highlight it once and from the Edit menu, select 'Find'. Type "wan miniport" into the search box. One of the keys related to that device should have a value of 0x20 and changing it should allow you to remove it from the device manager. Take a screenshot of the results and post back with the results. Until I can see which subkey we're dealing with, I hesitate giving advice on modifying very crucial keys related to the HKLM hive.Alternatively, if you're not comfortable editing the registry, you can try reverting the system back to the last hardware configuration. Press F8 at system boot, and instead of pressing Safe Mode, choose last known good configuration.

Generally speaking, a missing driver or a corrupt driver would cause that warning to pop up. In your case, since you don't have a wireless NIC, I understand now why you're trying to uninstall it.
Yes a corrupt driver is in a place the reason I am saying that because I have not got an icon for a network LAN
Before you go through the trouble of mucking around in the registry, can you confirm if the computer is able to make an internet connection without any problems?
No, computer is unable to connect to the internet for the reason above.
that device should have a value of 0x20
The the register search i was not to locate that Thanks
Have you tried downloading the latest set of device drivers for the NIC from Broadcom's support web site and using them to update the drivers in Microsoft Windows? If so, did that make any difference?
HiYes I did that already

The the register search i was not to locate that
Zillah,I never said to search for the value of 0x20. I said to do a search for "wan miniport". Expand all the subkeys related to it, then take a screenshot and post back. Edited by Tushman

Zillah,I never said to search for the value of 0x20. I said to do a search for "wan miniport". Expand all the subkeys related to it, then take a screenshot and post back.
Yes you right I am aware of that . What I meant to say that when I searched for "wan miniport" I could not find one of its subkeys that has a value of 0x20.I am going to post a snap shot to what I had found in my next reply.

You need to un-install the device. Not just the drivers. If Windows is detecting a device that you don't have, then that is a sure sign you have a Trojan. If you can't find it any other way, try using Sysprep to delete all of the system's drivers and re-install them all. If Windows is still detecting hardware you don't have, then your only recourse is a clean install of the entire OS after formatting the HD.

You need to un-install the device. Not just the drivers.
Zillah has been trying to uninstall it via the device manager and it keeps producing a denied message -- see his original post above.
If Windows is detecting a device that you don't have, then that is a sure sign you have a Trojan. If you can't find it any other way, try using Sysprep to delete all of the system's drivers and re-install them all. If Windows is still detecting hardware you don't have, then your only recourse is a clean install of the entire OS after formatting the HD.
Talk about taking a sledgehammer for a very simple problem. Flawed in every sense. Your "sysprep" cleaning will have no effect if the system is still infected with a trojan; it will most likely cause the same problem. And clearing out the entire driver cache? What for? Don't see the purpose behind that at all.

Talk about taking a sledgehammer for a very simple problem. Flawed in every sense. Your "sysprep" cleaning will have no effect if the system is still infected with a trojan; it will most likely cause the same problem. And clearing out the entire driver cache? What for? Don't see the purpose behind that at all.
No purpose? How about getting the computer to work? She's tried everything else and none of it is working. If she has a Trojan buried so deep she can't find it, then my suggestions are about all that is left to try.BTW, I realize you have a personal dislike for me, but you should try to keep that from influencing technical discussions. Your reply was downright rude. Edited by lewmur

I have just realized in the safe mode drivers look okay I mean there is no yellow exclamation mark.And I was able to uninstall the first one and second on in the list but whenever I tried to uninstall the rest a message pops up :
Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to boot up the computer

OK. Let me make sure I have all the facts correct. Are you saying that the devices with the yellow flags are phantom devices with no actual corresponding hardware in the computer? And that you can't manually remove the devices? Short of using Sysprep, you can attempt to delete the registry entries for the devices.If you want to attempt that, first make sure you create a Restore Point and that you have a rescue CD. Then, in the Device Manager, write down the names of the devices you want to remove. Open regedit and make a backup of the registry. (The Restore Point should have done that but you can't be too careful.) Now use /Edit/Find and enter the names of the devices, one at a time. That should lead you to the entry for the device. Delete the entry for each device. Exit and reboot.

OK. Let me make sure I have all the facts correct. Are you saying that the devices with the yellow flags are phantom devices with no actual corresponding hardware in the computer? And that you can't manually remove the devices? Short of using Sysprep, you can attempt to delete the registry entries for the devices.
http://i48.tinypic.com/214yqe8.jpgIn the link above under "Network Adapter" I have got 8 items with yellow exclamation marks listedonly the first one in the list I would assume it has a corresponding hardware in the computer dell optiplex gx620 ,,,,and that does make sense because it is related to a built-in network card which I would assume it should be broadcom.Now why the other 7 items are there ,,,,I do not why !!!!!
And that you can't manually remove the devices
in Dell Optiplex GX620 I don't have any other devices rather than built-in network card, built-in sound. And you have noticed 8 items with yellow exclamation marks appeared under "Network Adapter" in the device manager.

http://i48.tinypic.com/214yqe8.jpgIn the link above under "Network Adapter" I have got 8 items with yellow exclamation marks listedonly the first one in the list I would assume it has a corresponding hardware in the computer dell optiplex gx620 ,,,,and that does make sense because it is related to a built-in network card which I would assume it should be broadcom.
You need to modify a very specific registry key in order to remove it from the device manager. I told you this in my previous reply above. I still don't know if you were able to find the registry key or not, you should be able to do a search using the Find feature in the registry editor.

I still don't know if you were able to find the registry key or not, you should be able to do a search using the Find feature in the registry editor.
These are some of the screen shoots (there are many when I press F3 for next) for the "wan miniport" search http://i47.tinypic.com/2m85mo6.jpg2m85mo6.jpg

These are some of the screen shoots (there are many when I press F3 for next) for the "wan miniport" search\
Zillah,The image did not upload fully - please upload again. The bottom half of the images are missing.Also those screenshots look like you're in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive. Make sure that you're searching only in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive. Select the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive by clicking it once, then do your search. Edited by Tushman

The image did not upload fully - please upload again. The bottom half of the images are missing.
Please check those http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1016/panoramavirtcal.jpg
Also those screen shots look like you're in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive. Make sure that you're searching only in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive.
It is the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive as can be noticed in the status bar of the image above.Thanks

Please check those It is the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive as can be noticed in the status bar of the image above.Thanks
Zillah,For each of those screenshots you posted, look at the DWORD value in the right pane. There is a value named "characteristic' with a value of 0x00000029. (2nd one listed) That is the value that is prohibiting you from deleting it from the device manager. Double click to change the value. Type in a value of 0x00000009 for each of the keys you found. Afterwards you should be able to delete it from the device manager. Edited by Tushman

look at the DWORD value in the right pane.
I did search more than one times for "wan miniport" ,,,,,and in all my search that I have done in the right pane ,,,,,,I have got : " Name , Type, Data ",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,most of the keys are of " Type : REG_SZ "not of " Type DWORD "Please see some screen shoots that I have taken 2w3dp2o.jpghttp://i45.tinypic.com/2w3dp2o.jpgThanks

I did search more than one times for "wan miniport" ,,,,,and in all my search that I have done in the right pane ,,,,,,I have got : " Name , Type, Data ",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,most of the keys are of " Type : REG_SZ "not of " Type DWORD "Please see some screen shoots that I have taken http://i45.tinypic.com/2w3dp2o.jpgThanks
Zillah,In the first two screenshots you posted, the DWORD value I'm referring to is the one that is named "characteristics". (2nd one listed in the right hand pane window).ScreenHunter_51.jpgYou should also search for the "wan miniport" in the following subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ClassIf you are able to find it, then make the changes I suggested earlier. The Current Control Set takes precedence over the Current Control Set 001 and 002. Edited by Tushman

There is a value named "characteristic' with a value of 0x00000029. (2nd one listed) That is the value that is prohibiting you from deleting it from the device manager. Double click to change the value. Type in a value of 0x00000009
I did change the value from 0x00000029 to 0x00000009,,,,,,,,,,,,,I was able to delete all of them from the device manager except "Direct Parallel" option ,,,,,please see the screen shot that I posted earlier.Now whenever I installed the driver for the network card it is still coming with yellow exclamation mark and I can not find the icon for the LAN adapter under " My Network Place" Thanks

I did change the value from 0x00000029 to 0x00000009,,,,,,,,,,,,,I was able to delete all of them from the device manager except "Direct Parallel" option ,,,,,please see the screen shot that I posted earlier.Now whenever I installed the driver for the network card it is still coming with yellow exclamation mark and I can not find the icon for the LAN adapter under " My Network Place" Thanks
You probably still have some type of a malware infection. Download HijackThis! and when you scan it, click the option for "Scan and Save Log". Paste the log contents here in the forum and we can help you further.Also, post another screenshot of your device manager now that you have managed to delete all the wan miniports. Edited by Tushman

Thanks Tushman for your help

Download HijackThis! and when you scan it, click the option for "Scan and Save Log". Paste the log contents here in the forum and we can help you further.
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4Scan saved at 2:02:51 PM, on 7/6/2010Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)Boot mode: NormalRunning processes:C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exeC:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exeC:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exeC:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgchsvx.exeC:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgrsx.exeC:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\ServiceLayer.exeC:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgcsrvx.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exeC:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXEC:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exeC:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\Transports\NclUSBSrv.exeC:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\Transports\NclRSSrv.exeC:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exeR0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com.au/R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dllO2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgssie.dllO2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dllO2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveShellExtensions.dllO2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dllO2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dllO4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG9_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exeO4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exeO4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exeO4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exeO4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exeO6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel presentO8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dllO9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dllO9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLLO9 - Extra button: (no name) - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdocvw.dllO9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dllO9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search && Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dllO9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exeO9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exeO9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exeO9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exeO16 - DPF: {1CE17C82-8DE2-4EF6-ACF9-3A8B21830475} (Courier6 Control) - https://csm.cybertrust.com.au/courier/couriercontrol.cabO16 - DPF: {5ED80217-570B-4DA9-BF44-BE107C0EC166} (Windows Live Safety Center Base Module) - http://cdn.scan.onecare.live.com/resource/download/scanner/wlscbase6087.cabO16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cabO17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = any.localO17 - HKLM\Software\..\Telephony: DomainName = any.localO17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = any.localO17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{A92F07A1-A271-4B39-82ED-279EBA843C61}: NameServer = 192.168.0.50O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = any.localO17 - HKLM\System\CS3\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = any.localO18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dllO18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgpp.dllO20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dllO23 - Service: AVG Free WatchDog (avg9wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exeO23 - Service: ServiceLayer - Nokia - C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\ServiceLayer.exe--End of file - 5751 bytes

I tried to use those two links to analyze the log above http://hjt.networktechs.com/http://hijackthis.de/index.php?langselect=englishYes I do believe It is NOT to be used as a replacement for an expert but I believe it can be used as an educational tool

Also, post another screenshot of your device manager now that you have managed to delete all the wan miniports.
http://i46.tinypic.com/mw6r8g.jpgmw6r8g.jpg Edited by zillah