Soldier's Family Set in Motion

Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Who says one person can't make a difference? It seems that the whole mess with the prisoner abuse issue going public came about as a result of one man's search for justice for a relative who is an enlisted man in the service. When things go sour, the enlisted get crucified and the officers virtually walk free with a handslap (other than they are washed up career-wise). Yes, bad things happened, but you can be quite sure they were orchestrated from on high. This guy was not going to stand by and see his reservist nephew take it without a lot of others going down with him. The result is the mess we saw in the media this past week.(This is a NY Times news article. The site requires that you register before you can view the item. Registration is free.)"Either everyone has rights or some have privileges. It's really that simple." -- Walt Kelly

nlinecomputers

The treatment of the Iraqis was disgraceful but about on par with college hazing pranks. I've not heard of beatings, rape, and other torture often used by Saddam's bunch. Iraqi's already have tortured and killed American's and even dragged bodies through the streets. While not a good thing for US to be doing to prisoners it isn't on the level that most Arab, indeed most World nations, routinely do to prisoners. This is being blown out of proportion for political gain. On the other hand that doesn't mean that a lot of people don't need to be drumed out of the service for this. We should hold a better standard in light of the fact that many question our envolement over there.

linuxdude32

This is a little worse than college pranks. There are reports of Iraqis being beaten by US troops (and UK troops even more so). Aid organizations are hearing stories of US troops threatening Iraqi citizens at gunpoint, stealing from them and destroying their property. Whether or not this is in par with how Saddam tortured prisons is irrelevant - it is totally against the Geneva Convention and breaks basic human rights.A Canadian citizen captured by US troops reports being beaten but witnessed much worse treatment of Iraqi prisoners:

A CANADIAN civilian claims in a lawsuit he was tortured by U.S. troops in Iraq and saw Iraqi prisoners suffer even worse mistreatment. Lawyer Thomas Nelson said he filed the suit with the U.S. Army Claims Office on April 30 on behalf of Hossam Shaltout, 57, of Los Angeles. Shaltout claims he was beaten after being taken to the Camp Bucca detention centre shortly after the launch of the U.S.-led invasion. "I saw Iraqis tortured more than I was. They did unspeakable things to Iraqis," Shaltout told The Associated Press from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
I'm not saying that Canadian troops would be any better, either. We disbanded our Airborne regiment after it was found that Canadian soldiers were hazing and beating citizens in Somalia years ago.Personally, I think that anyone who breaks the rules of war should face an International war crimes tribunal. We would expect no less if those were our people being beaten and humiliated.