Foxit Reader - seems to offer ASK Toolbar

striker

The latest version of Foxit Reader seems to offer the install of a ask.com toolbar. I don't use it my self so I'm not able to verify, nevertheless just to make you know what happens:http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread....221#post1384221Read the windows during install and don't rush to hit that ok button.
I can verify that as I installed it on one of my PCs about a month ago. Very annoyed by it - I uninstalled the whole thing and will not be going back to it as long as that crap toolbar is packaged with it. The version presented in that screenshot is different from the version I tried several weeks ago. There was NO OPTION to remove or opt out of the askbar installation. :thumbsup: :thumbsdown:And to be honest, I don't understand what the big deal is with using Adobe Reader. Yeah, we all know it's bloated. I could care less in this case because when I use Adobe Reader, it is only for a few minutes. I usually only need it for reading manuals, brochures, technical drawings, etc. It's not like I'm going to have it open for hours at a time. If you're using Adobe Reader v7 or v8, there are ways to trim it down very easily. Edited by Tushman

• 2 weeks later...
The problem with the older versions of Adobe is that they are security risks.Version 7 had 22 vulnerabilities all patchedhttp://secunia.com/advisories/product/4546/Version 8 had 20 vulnerabilities, 1 unpatchedhttp://secunia.com/advisories/product/12829/So if you are running an older version 7 is safer than 8.
I just joined this forum and hope you all don't jump on me for being fairly computer illiterate. I am still using Operating system 98SE. I intend to get a new pc, but have heard bad things about vista and as long as this is working I must use it. My question involves adobe, I have version 3.1 adobe acrobat reader installed, it came with my printer on a CD. However, it will not open some things I need. I checked everywhere I could and found that version 6 is the highest I can use, but I think version 5 would be enough for my needs. At least I hope so. Do I need to delete 3.1 before I download version 5? There is the regular uninstall option for it on my pc, but I read that that doesn't always get rid of everything it should.Sorry for the probably "stupid" question, but I really need help with this and hope someone will give me some advice.I also though about the Foxit, but didn't know if I have to remove adobe 3.1 before Foxit is installed either. My preference would be to stay with adobe.Any help, please.Thanks for reading all my babble.

Welcome. You can go here http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=acrobatto download a newer version of adobe reader.
Thank you both for such quick replies. I try to understand why I am doing things in a certain order, so that I can learn. Thanks for the site. The one I was going to use didn't have all the versions of 5 and 6 on it. The site you suggest, which looks better, has:Download Acrobat Reader Older VersionsAcrobat Reader 2 (1.4 MB) Acrobat Reader 3 (3.9 MB) Acrobat Reader 4 (5.2 MB) Acrobat Reader 4.05 (5.5 MB) Acrobat Reader 5.0 (8.4 MB) Acrobat Reader 5.0.5 (8.6 MB) Acrobat Reader 5.1 (13.0 MB) Acrobat Reader 6.0 (15.9 MB) Acrobat Reader 6.01 (16.3 MB) Acrobat Reader 7.05 (31.5 MB) Acrobat Reader 7.07 (20.2 MB) Acrobat Reader 7.08 (20.3 MB) Acrobat Reader 7.0.9 (20.2 MB) Acrobat Reader 8.11 (22.3 MB) Can anyone advise which version of 5 would be the best. 98SE supposedly can handle the 6 versions, but I didn't want to download too bloated a version. Anyone using a version of 5, and/or 6 that you are comfortable with?Also just so I know, why should I download the new version, THEN delete the version I have, then run the new version. My first thought would be to delete old version before downloading the newer one. Believe me I'm not doubting your superior knowledge, I just want to understany why it's done that way. Thank you so much for tolerating me.

Thank you both for such quick replies. I try to understand why I am doing things in a certain order, so that I can learn. Thanks for the site. The one I was going to use didn't have all the versions of 5 and 6 on it. The site you suggest, which looks better, has:Download Acrobat Reader Older VersionsAcrobat Reader 2 (1.4 MB) Acrobat Reader 3 (3.9 MB) Acrobat Reader 4 (5.2 MB) Acrobat Reader 4.05 (5.5 MB) Acrobat Reader 5.0 (8.4 MB) Acrobat Reader 5.0.5 (8.6 MB) Acrobat Reader 5.1 (13.0 MB) Acrobat Reader 6.0 (15.9 MB) Acrobat Reader 6.01 (16.3 MB) Acrobat Reader 7.05 (31.5 MB) Acrobat Reader 7.07 (20.2 MB) Acrobat Reader 7.08 (20.3 MB) Acrobat Reader 7.0.9 (20.2 MB) Acrobat Reader 8.11 (22.3 MB) Can anyone advise which version of 5 would be the best. 98SE supposedly can handle the 6 versions, but I didn't want to download too bloated a version. Anyone using a version of 5, and/or 6 that you are comfortable with?Also just so I know, why should I download the new version, THEN delete the version I have, then run the new version. My first thought would be to delete old version before downloading the newer one. Believe me I'm not doubting your superior knowledge, I just want to understany why it's done that way. Thank you so much for tolerating me.
Simple, actually...Just download the new version before trashing the old one. In other words don't get rid of your old shoes before you have a new pair of shoes. Let's say it in geeks speak: get the new version first and let it be scanned by your security arsenal. That counts for all applications when we speak of Windows, no matter where you get it from. Just a healthy habit. When there's something amiss with the new version you need to get rid of it, so when at this moment you don't still have the old version, you're toasted if you needed that program for work. B) And keep the old version a bit around: you'll never know how the newer one behaves, it may or may not needed to put back the old version. You'll never know beforehand.
Thank you so much for tolerating me.
Hey, that's what we're here for: to serve and help. And there are no dumb questions. You're welcome to ask. :thumbsup:

When there's something amiss with the new version you need to get rid of it, so when at this moment you don't still have the old version, you're toasted if you needed that program for work. B) And keep the old version a bit around: you'll never know how the newer one behaves, it may or may not needed to put back the old version. You'll never know beforehand.
Just a quick note to add to Striker's post. In general, I agree with Striker's response about testing the new version around - it's good to be careful. However in this case, I have a slightly different approach. For something as simple as a PDF reader, I would not worry about it too much because you can always revert back to the previous version by downloading it from the link that Zlim gave you above. If v6.0 does not work out for whatever reason, use v5.5 instead. Version 3.0 is archaic and definitely should not be used.When you attempt to install to the latest version for your operating system, Adobe Reader will say a version already exists on your system, and prompt you to first uninstall the older version. You can simply use the uninstaller that with the program; if not available, you can always remove it safely from the Add/Remove Programs applet in the Control Panel. Don't worry about whether Adobe Reader is thorough enough or not - I've never had any problems with it in all the years I've bee using it.Keep in mind that not all software applications will allow you to have 2 versions installed at the time time primarily because possible conflicts could result in the registry with your file association settings - Adobe Reader is one of them. You can however have both Adobe Reader & Foxit Reader installed on the same system w/out any problems. Edited by Tushman

It's been too long ago for me to remember what version of Adobe I was running on my 98SE computer.I tend to go with apps that are small in size.Let me look at Secunia (a security site) http://secunia.com/advisories/to see what vulnerabilities exist in versions of Adobe Reader. We might be able to pick a small footprint, with few holes and that runs well on 98SE.Adobe v6 has one unpatched hole http://secunia.com/advisories/product/1810/It also appears that v4 and v5 are checked by the online scanner for vulnerabilities.http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/...ograms_covered/but so far I haven't found a report for those two versions.The online scanner doesn't help you because:Supported Operating Systems (32 bit): * Microsoft Windows 2000 SP4 * Microsoft Windows XP SP2 or later * Microsoft Windows 2003 * Microsoft Windows Vista

Edited by zlim

Cluttermagnet
...I am still using Operating system 98SE. I intend to get a new pc, but have heard bad things about vista and as long as this is working I must use it. My question involves adobe, I have version 3.1 adobe acrobat reader installed, it came with my printer on a CD. However, it will not open some things I need...
Hi, calico-Welcome to Scot's Forums! I used 98SE for many years. You are right that probably your machine would not even handle Windows XP, let alone Vista. For that, you will need more powerful hardware.While the others are helping you with questions about Adobe Reader and about reading pdf's in general, I'd like to ask you some more general questions so I can help you. I still have working copies of 98SE here. What brand and model of PC are you running? Can you tell us how much RAM you have installed? And what size hard drive, etc?Also, do you know anything about 'drive imaging'? That is a powerful technique to preserve a 'snapshot' of the contents of your entire hard drive, in case you mess up Windows irretrievably. Once in a great while, a software install gone bad can trash your OS. I haven't seen it often, but I've seen it. So I learned how to image my Windows OS's, and it saved my bacon a few times when I had a major screwup.Oh, one other important question- is this your only computer presently, and are you doing quite a lot of online activity, emailing and especially visiting a lot of websites? Things have changed so much in just a few years. The net has become quite a bit more dangerous, to the point where poorly protected Windows boxes can be hacked and compromised online, simply from visiting the 'wrong' website. I don't take my 98SE online much any more. I do that with various Linux computers. Boy was it ever a fun and profitable change for me, to move to Linux! But that's another topic for later. Welcome aboard! B) Edited by Cluttermagnet

Just want to say that I never imagined to get so much help and concern for my problem. Several years ago I posted a problem to another computer related forum and got one response, "Buy a new computer cheap skate". This kind of made me leary of asking questions again. I try to live my life by the words a very wise man said to me once "we are all here to help one another, each in our own way". I can't put into words how welcome you have all made me feel. Thank you sooo much.No one has to tell me my system is too old, but for personal reasons it is all I have right now. I intend to get a new one and since this Dell has been pretty good to me that is what I thought I would look at getting. With all the new options I was just totally baffled at what I needed, but that is for another post.Cluttermagnet I will look up the info you asked about, but off-hand it's a Dell Dimension XPS T500 Pentium III with very low amounts of RAM and a small hard drive. I know it can't handle XP or Vista, no way at all.Again you are the greatest group of people I am so glad I found this forum.PS and very OT, if anyone needs or wants cat health info write me, off forum, of course. That I do know a lot about. Hope this doesn't get me in trouble for bringing it up.

You're welcome calico!

PS and very OT, if anyone needs or wants cat health info write me, off forum, of course. That I do know a lot about. Hope this doesn't get me in trouble for bringing it up.
Nah, this ain't Wilders where they just slice off the post without letting anyone know where it went, or just delete the post.... We do have some cat fans here too, yep!

Cluttermagnet

I did a little research online, and it appears an early model would have 64M of RAM, the later version 128M. Early version 22G hard drive, later 27G. Both had a 500MHz Pentium III processor. It's OK for Win 98SE, marginal for Win XP. The tower can be upgraded to 256M RAM, I believe. So anyway, probably best to stay with 98SE. Later if you wanted to, you could put a 'lightweight' Linux OS on it and the tower would serve you better and be more secure, but that's for later. So don't toss it just yet, even if you get a new one.I'm wondering why no one has suggested a more lightweight pdf reader to calico? Perhaps something like the Foxit reader? I don't remember what all I ran on my 98SE, it has been a couple of years. I think I had an earlier version- the current v3.0 needs WinXP or later. But I am totally unconvinced that a 98SE user just has to get the Adobe software. I think there are much better ways to go.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

I did a little research online, and it appears an early model would have 64M of RAM, the later version 128M. Early version 22G hard drive, later 27G. Both had a 500MHz Pentium III processor. It's OK for Win 98SE, marginal for Win XP. The tower can be upgraded to 256M RAM, I believe. So anyway, probably best to stay with 98SE. Later if you wanted to, you could put a 'lightweight' Linux OS on it and the tower would serve you better and be more secure, but that's for later. So don't toss it just yet, even if you get a new one.I'm wondering why no one has suggested a more lightweight pdf reader to calico? Perhaps something like the Foxit reader? I don't remember what all I ran on my 98SE, it has been a couple of years. I think I had an earlier version- the current v3.0 needs WinXP or later. But I am totally unconvinced that a 98SE user just has to get the Adobe software. I think there are much better ways to go.
I have 128MB RAM and an eight month old, the old one died and I had it replaced, 20GB hard drive and a new memory board. I have Sound Blaster Live, 495ACS speakers, Microsoft Office, business edition, and I don't know what else you would need to know. The tower uses the USB 1 not 2, and it's all connected to a cable modem with a CAT 4 input. Hope this makes sense. I did download Adobe version 5.0.5as suggested, which showed up as 5 when it downloaded. I always wondered about that, when you download say 5.0.5 why does it appear as only 5 when you download it? So far it is working fine. I did delete the 3.1 before I downloaded it. I could probably go to the six, but if I don't run into a problem viewing a pdf I will stick with this for now.You asked if I knew anything about 'drive imaging'. No I don't. Thanks so much,calico

We have an Installer's Hall of Shame on another Forum i volunteer on...Here is the current list:

Below is the current list of dodgy installers: * Adobe Flash Player - Google Toolbar * Adobe Reader - eBay Desktop * Adobe Shockwave Player - Norton PC Checkup * AOL Instant Messenger - AOL Toolbar * Apple’s Software Updater - Safari Browser, QuickTime, iTunes * Applian FLV Player - Yahoo Toolbar * Auslogics Registry Defrag - Ask Toolbar * AVG 8 - AVG Security Toolbar (Yahoo Search bar) * BitComet - Google Toolbar * CCleaner (standard installer) - Yahoo Toolbar <<<Offers Slim version, without toolbar (http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds) * Comodo Firewall Pro - Ask Toolbar (This toolbar is detected as spyware/adware by several vendors) * Comodo Internet Security, Antivirus & Firewall - Ask Toolbar * Cyberlink PowerDVD 8 - Google Toolbar and BETA of Moovielive * Daemon Tools - Search tool and sponsor ad module * Defraggler - Yahoo Toolbar * DivX - Yahoo Toolbar * FoxIt 3.0 - - installs FoxIt toolbar, makes Ask.com your default search, create desktop, quick launch, and start menu shortcut to eBay * Free Download Manager - Software Informer bundle * Glary Utilities - Ask Toolbar * GOM Player - Google Toolbar (checked by default) * GoogleTalk - no addon but will change default search setting of IE * GoogleEarth - Pre checked Google Toolbar installation * ICQ 6 - ICQ Toolbar * Iobit Advanced One Care - Yahoo Toolbar (selecting no will still do changes on the system) * IrfanView (Google Toolbar for IE and Google Desktop Search) * iTunes (QuickTime, AppleSoftwareUpdate, AppleMobileDeviceSupport64, Bonjour64, MobileMe64) <---- undisputed leader * Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 10 - installs Java Quick Starter, Microsoft Live Search Toolbar, OpenOffice installer pre-checked * Logitech Setpoint (Logitech Yahoo! Toolbar) * Maxathon 2 - Facebook Sidebar Plugin * McAfee Site Advisor update - Yahoo! default browser search * MP3 WMA Converter - Yahoo Search and Delio Comparsion Shopping Toolbar * Nero Burning Rom - Ask Toolbar (This toolbar is detected as spyware/adware by several vendors) * PC Tools Firewall Plus - Google Toolbar and Threatfire * Recuva - optional Yahoo toolbar (checked by default) <<<offers Slim version without toolbar (http://www.recuva.com/download/builds) * Shockwave Player - Norton Security Scan or Google Toolbar * SIW (System Information for Windows) - Crawler Toolbar * Skype - Google Toolbar * Spyware Doctor - Google Toolbar * Spyware Terminator - Web security guard, Crawler * Sun Java RE (online installer) - Google Toolbar * Sun Java - OpenOffice.org * Trillian - Ask Toolbar and Weather Channel Desktop * Unlocker 1.8.7 - eBay shortcuts * Veoh media player - Yahoo toolbar, search engine change & search protection * Webroot SpySweeper - Ask Toolbar (This toolbar is detected as spyware/adware by several vendors) * Winamp - Winamp Toolbar * Windows Live Installer - Windows Live Toolbar and Sign-in Assistant * Windows Update - Windows Genuine Advantage Notification - (pre-checked, not required, should not be high-priority) * Windows SteadyState - Windows Live Toolbar * Winzip - RegistryBooster * Wise Disk Cleaner - Ask Toolbar * Wise Registry Cleaner - Ask Toolbar * xplorer2Lite - Conduit toolbar * YaHoo! Instant Messenger - YaHoo! toolbar, with ‘YaHoo! Search Protection’ and homepage change to YaHoo! * ZoneAlarm - SpyBlocker (Ask Toolbar) (This toolbar is detected as spyware/adware by several vendors)

* FoxIt 3.0 - - installs FoxIt toolbar, makes Ask.com your default search, create desktop, quick launch, and start menu shortcut to eBay
Only if you allow it to. :">

Does a "normal" user get to see this? (I haven't installed the newest version).Unfortunately for most software, you have to do a custom install, with all sorts of dire warnings about how you should only do this if you are an advanced user to see what to uncheck/untick. The seniors I help, do not see themselves as "advanced users" so they would never dare to deviate from the default install. <sigh>From reading the thread, I see that it can be uninstalled.

There were two entries in the Add/Remove Programs, one for Foxit Reader and the other for the Foxit Toolbar. I uninstalled the Foxit Toolbar and the Foxit Toolbar is now gone.
So at least that is a plus for normal users. Edited by zlim